Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Ragley Blue Pig
  • rucknar
    Free Member

Hello,

Thinking of rebuilding my current Kinesis XC bike into something more aggressive. I want a strong hard tail for shorter rides that feels quite aggressive.

Spotted this frame on CRC for 250, has anyone ridden one? Thoughts?

Thanks guys

Ed

ahwiles
    Free Member

they’re ace.

the geometry is a bit ‘new school*’ but it works well uphill and especially downhill.

they’re at their best when using wide bars and a short stem.

(*steepish seat tube, slack head angle)

Yetiman
    Free Member

I’ve had my Blue Pig X for 7 months now. In short, I like it…a lot. It’s great fun on most types of trail and because of the relatively steep seat angle it climbs really well too, even with a 150/160mm fork at full travel. It’ll handle 160mm forks (I’ve run 36’s on mine and a mate has 36 Talas on his Mmbop), but 140/150mm Revs or Fox 32’s suit it best. I’m currently running Revelation RLT Ti’s which are stiff and well controlled. Other things I like…..it has a 30.9 seat tube so I can run a Reverb post and the bolt on cable and hose tidies are a neat touch. Weight wise I think mine is currently just under 28lbs with a dropper post and heavy-ish (940g) UST winter tyres.

float
    Free Member

got a mark 1 BP. fantastic.

rucknar
    Free Member

@Yetiman – I thought that they recommended 130mm forks?
    I ask because CRC have a good deal on 150mm skeletors i had ruled out before…

scruff
    Free Member

Great geometry but I really dont like the cable guides.

jwab
    Free Member

I am planning on selling a 16″ mk 1 frame as I am thinking of swapping it for an xc full suss frame. I am on Newark if you want to give it a test. If you wanted to buy it is in great condition and wouldn’t be much and I could include the cane creek headset and maybe other bits if you want?

rucknar
    Free Member

@jwab – I appreciate the offer, would take but I was looking at the 18″ mk2. How did you find the frame? 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

Superted – there is the Pig and the Piglet, 130 travel is more Piglet I think

Scruff – general forum chat is that the cable guides are great

Anymore feedback – I’m thinking of a Piglet ?

rucknar
    Free Member

You are of course correct, must of gotten mistaken!!
    Time to snap up those forks 🙂

jwab
    Free Member

The frame really is fantastic esp for the price. I only have it with 130 forks and still get plenty of confidence going downhill. It is heavy but you don’t really notice, mine is only 1 x 9 anyway do not really gonna have much chance on steep climbs anyway! Not sure how much better the mk 2 frames are so I would def recommend a second hand mk 1 if you can get a good one

jambalaya
    Free Member

jwab – so what’s the difference (setup and riding) between a 130 Pig vs 130 Piglet ?

gj78
    Free Member

Thinking of one myself, thanks for info.

spudnick
    Free Member

ive had my pig mk2 for about 3 months and absolutely love it. so much fun when pointing downhill, and not too shabby going uphill. its a blast, you wont be disappointed if you get one

Nick

rucknar
    Free Member

Sounds great 🙂

What’s it like at XC? I realise that’s not it’s purpose but I’m limited on number of bikes!

stevenc
    Free Member

Dont have a blue pig myself but a mate has a mk1 and loves it. It’s good for all day rides or just a quick spin around the local trails. Has seen a few XC races too.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I’ve got an Mmmbop. Very capable with my Revelations on it. I’ve gone short stem and wide bars too, but i must admit I struggle to find a comfortable position for anything that doesn’t point up or down. I guess it’s ideal for Calderdale!

Paint job is appalling on it though. I only need to sneeze on it to scratch or scuff it. Not sure if that extends to the Blue Pigs tho’

ivantate
    Free Member

Mk1 here and its ace. 60mm stem compromises the uphillls a bit but so does my lack of fitness.
    Good at cross country depends on what your expectations are but its comfortable, the pedals go round and round and chain suck isn’t a problem.

xiphon
    Free Member

‘aggressive’ LOL…

jwab
    Free Member

jambalaya – cant really say as i have never ridden a piglet, but i gather that it has a longer top tube so is a bit more xc?? The 130 fork choice was simply down to cost but still work fine

BadlyWiredDog

What’s it like at XC? I realise that’s not it’s purpose but I’m limited on number of bikes!

It’s okay; I’ve done 60 mile day rides on my old Mk1, but bear in mind that built with something like a Pike, it’ll weigh somewhere around 30lb or so, which means it tends to feel steamroller-ish rather than light and frisky. Bear in mind that the Mk1 and, presumably, the current Pig frame weighs around 5.5lb. So, steady up, bludgeon fast down, a bit indifferent on flat and undulating stuff.

I guess you could build it light with skinny rims and feathery tyres, but it’s not really in the bike’s nature, so it’s a bit like taking a tiger, putting a collar and bell around its neck and calling it Tibbles…

I wouldn’t race one, but for long trail rides, fine, though a little weighty. Faster rolling tyres would probably help with that, but again, the bike suits fat, grippy rubber.

BadlyWiredDog

jwab – so what’s the difference (setup and riding) between a 130 Pig vs 130 Piglet ?

I’ve ridden both, briefly, and a Ragley Ti. Based on that, the Piglet really just feels less obviously slack than a Pig, more ‘normal’, but still very stable and solidly predictable. Arguably better for ‘most people’ whoever they are… 😉

ahwiles
    Free Member

I wouldn’t race one,

i would, i did.

it was ace!

(xc, Dh, uphill, dual slalom, it’s done them all 🙂 )

jonke
    Free Member

I love my mk1 but being steel it does seem to be rusting from the inside out. Every time I finish a wet ride and put it on the roof rack it dribbles rusty water all over the roof off my car like its got incontinence. Funny – but I don’t ever recall that happening with my ’88 Saracen Tufftraks.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Ragley Blue Pig’ is closed to new replies.