Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Rachel Atherton Confirms: She Will Race Leogang
  • nickc

It’s a longer track, which may be bad news if Atherton was struggling with fitness.

Camille won last year by nailling the bottom half of the course, by 12 secs IIRC, that’s some deficit to make up if your not on top form.

stwhannah

As many of us will have been hoping, after her amazing come back ride at the weekend, Rachel Atherton will be lining up at the start line in Leogang. …

By stwhannah

Get the full story here:

Rachel Atherton Confirms: She Will Race Leogang

tomparkin

Good point @nickc but! on the other hand to nail the bottom half you have to not stack it in the woods because you’re a bit nervy about the recent triumphant return of one of the winningest DH racers of all time.

I do think it’s a tall order to be honest but OTOH I wouldn’t bet against it and that is going to make it an exciting race for me.

nickc

Yep, I don’t think I’d bet against Rachel TBH regardless of what she said last weekend!

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Any interview links?

Speeder

Having watched a few of the Bernie Kerr videos she has featured on riding Dyfi over the last few months, I’m not remotely surprised she came back and schooled the field. Especially on a bikepark style course.

GolfChick
    Free Member

I didn’t watch the race (it doesnt inspire me to ride and it all gets a bit too repetitve for me) but was told about Rach’s victory and I’ve gotta say I was surprised, to take such a big gap/motherhood/injuries and come back and win doesn’t seem to paint the rest of the field in a good light. I think we’ve all heard the anecdote before that you need to ride with better riders in order for your own riding to improve so maybe her return will signal the others to push harder to try to compete. People say to me all the time ‘oh you should race’ but at the end of the day when you may be the only competitor at a race is there really any point? As has been said before you only need to complete the course as a woman in order to generally win, I’ve got tonnes of QOMs but there’s far less women completing the segments so is it really anything to write home about?

I’m not sure what the solution is to getting more women into racing but I dont think the approach should be that just because you’re a woman you owe it to your ‘species’ to race which is very much the sentiment I get as a female rider when people talk to me about the fact I should race. Similarly it annoys me when I meet up with women for a ride who tell me they race and by the end of the ride I’m wondering why, just because your female?!

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.