Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Raceface Single Chainring Compatibility XT M780 Cranks? Help!
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

just received my new raceface wide/narrow single ring, now there is a compatibility chart on the back and im a bit confused!

its just a standard 104bcd ring, and my cranks (which are run 1×10) were originally 3×10 cranks

should i have any issues fitting? it doesnt look any different, but reading the chart on the back it seems to suggest its not compatible with the older m770 cranks??? (mine are the newer m780 but basically the same?)

help!

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

No, you just run it on the middle chainring tabs if its a 104bcd ring.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

phew! hob nob – im currently running a hope 32 tooth on my xt cranks, so basically its just a straight swap??

sorry it sounded like a dumb question, i just dont think the table is very clear on the back/out of date!

as long as it will fit the same as my hope on then it should run fine!

gonna run it without a guide for a test ride i reckon, see what happens with this narrow/wide, cant wait!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

and this may sound like the ultimate in stupid questions, can i get away with taking the old chainring off without removing the cranks? i know obviously chain will come off, but it would be nice if i didnt have to remove the cranks to do it

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Yes, should go where the existing one is.

Doubt you will be able to without removing the cranks with a chainring that small, it probably won’t clear the spider.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers hob nob, its no worries its not exactly a harder job, just be a bit time consuming at worst!

im struggling also to see how the raceface ring is ‘reversible’ as its only recessed on one side of the chainring??? any ideas hob nob?

it states ‘Reversible laser etched graphics’ im guessing that means it can be swapped over? but only one side has the recessed indents on it?

am i being totally dumb here?!?!

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I’ve never actually seen one, just working on the basis it’s a standard 104bcd ring. I’ve only ever used e13 rings on my DH bike, which were all 104 too & it was obvious which way round they went, the graphics were in the outside.

I assume the RF one is the same

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers hob nob

hmmmm not sure why it says reversible then, it says if you dont like the graphics you can swap it around and it wont affect the chainline?

yet its only recessed/indented on one side where the 4 bolts go in?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Perhaps by reversible it means it could be in the normal inner ring position or the outer ring position?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

not sure be honest bigyinn – as it says if you dont like the full on graphics you can flip it over, that to me sounds like it should just switch over

im not too arsed its a black ring with the grahpics on so it will soon be dull and black all over anyways, just prefer the other ‘plain’ side

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Raceface Single Chainring Compatibility XT M780 Cranks? Help!’ is closed to new replies.