Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • RaceFace Crankset help – self extracting bolts
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

I have this crankset:

which is an X type crankset. This should have a self extracting bolt so i bought this from CRC

which is a RaceFace Evolve X-Type Self Extract Crank Bolt

HTF does it not fit? The bolt is about 2mm too big, if its not for my crankset, what crank is it for?

AndyPaice
    Free Member

this has come up a couple of times in the last few months. IIRC the outcome was that RF has changed the design for this crankset and it is similar to ISIS or SQ Taper cranks in that you remove the bolt and use a dedicated crank puller to remove the chainset.

Try searching for ‘evolve xc’ and see what comes up.

the bolt in the photo is a standard bolt by the look of it

racing_ralph
    Free Member

but why is the bolt an m20 – when was an axle that big?

AndyPaice
    Free Member

a spare set of ATLAS AM X Type I have are 17mm ID (inside of the threads) and 23mm OD (on the splines).

Does that correspond to m20?

The outer cap on the 2nd photo looks identical to the one on my diablous cranks.

j-claw
    Free Member

You have an 08 Evolve XC crankset which has the new & improved EXI interface. You’ve bought an X-Type puller cap which is for their older (05-07) XC cranks or the current Atlas/Diabolus cranks. The EXI puller cap is smaller in diameter.

Evolve XC cranks don’t come spec’d with the self extractor, but they can be ‘upgraded’ by buying the >08 Deus puller cap. CRC don’t list the part, but Silverfish should be able to help you.
    RF part# F30018.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘RaceFace Crankset help – self extracting bolts’ is closed to new replies.