Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Race Face crank failure :(
  • Trimix
    Free Member

Just noticed the LH crank on my bike has failed. Its a Race Face carbon one and the metal insert the pedal screws in is wobbling. Seems its a common fault and no one seems able to buy just a LH replacement.
    So, p’eed off with that I took my other bike out for a ride. Got back and checked that bikes LH crank since it too is a Race Face one.

Bummer – it too wobbles.
    Double bummer – their lifetime warranty is only 3 yrs.

Anyone know if you can get a replacment ? Anyone experienced this problem and just carried on riding. I reckon Ive been riding it like that for some time and not noticed. Sure, eventually its probably going to die, but I need it to last till shops are stocking a suitable replacement.

Not sure I want another one thats going to fail again – so can anyone recommend an alternative ?

qwerty
    Free Member

Anyone experienced this problem and just carried on riding.

Yea, Andy Deacon did in the GBDuro…

Watch from 16:15 😳

https://youtu.be/gnqpyiwKY4k

Machine.

leegee

Had the same with my LH Next R a few months back. the older design is hollow and others have succesfully repaired theirs, mine is solid carbon around the insert however.

The remaining arm, axle, BB and Cane Creek preloader sold very quickly on Pinkbike as a consolation.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Damn that pesky COVID-19, now it’s killing our cranks too!

honourablegeorge

I had a set of SixC cranks, they broke. The replacements broke. And the replacements for those also broke.

A friend had a set also. They broke. The replacement crank broke. And the next replacements broke also.

Six is a small sample size, to be fair, but 100% of those six cranks broke.

Basically – don’t buy RaceFace carbon cranks. They break.

fathomer

I broke 3 sets of Next SL’s and 2 sets of Next R’s. The last one, I was a month inside warranty and Silverfish (who were great) replaced with a set of Turbines, which are still going strong 18 months later.

Can help with repair/replacement ideas though, sorry.

honourablegeorge

So they replaced your carbon cranks with an cheap aluminium set which sell for half the price? Not sure I’d have accepted that.

Amazed they’re still on sale, to be honest. They’re dangerous, someone could get seriously hurt, and its not like RaceFace are unaware of the issues.

fathomer

@honourablegeorge you’re right of course but I was sick of constantly swapping them (5 sets in 3 years) and the next time they’d have been out of warranty. In hindsight I should have pushed for some more kit but didn’t.

On the plus side, I really like their aluminium cranks. We now have a set of Turbines, 2 sets of Aeffects and a set of Aeffect R’s.

honourablegeorge

@fathomer Can certainly understand that you’d just be sick and tired of dealing with it at that point. Their Alu cranks are fine, I do own some from before the SixC debacle, but I totally avoid RaceFace as a brand nowadays.

honourablegeorge

Just totting up on this thread;

Trimix – 2
    Leegee – 1
    fathomer – 5
    me – 3
    my mate -3

14 cranks owned, 14 failures.

TheGingerOne

I have NextSL cranks which are 5 years old and still fine.

Just to ruin the 100% record 😀

Trimix
    Free Member

You realise you have jinxed it now, next ride one pedal will wobble.

I had both fail but rode them for some time before it became aparrent. It just feels like a bit of extra float on one SPD, or sometimes you seem to struggle to unclip. Only upon close inspection do you notice.

So, perhaps the best result is a set of trusty Shimano XT cranks. They last forever. Or what about SRAM, are they any good, of will they suffer the pedal insert not bonding to carbon crank after a while.

honourablegeorge

TheGingerOne
    Subscriber
    I have NextSL cranks which are 5 years old and still fine.

Just to ruin the 100% record 😀

Only a 93% failure rate then, they’re fine 🙂

I suspect that liek most things, they’re fine if manufactured perfectly, but it seems like a hell of a lot of them slip through that are not built properly.

Sui
    Free Member

I have some NEXT LP’s – that are fine. Theyve also sat in the shed for the last 10 years stupid ISIS drive…

This has however reaffirmed my view to stick with Shimano depsite my desire for something shiny, so cheers all!!

rascal
    Free Member

Bin the carbon and get some Turbines instead.
    Not as bling but not an issue with mine in 3 years.

bruneep

Next SL cranks 5yrs old doing just fine

Trimix
    Free Member

Try riding then bruneep – they dont work 🙂

RicB

2x Next failures, been fine with Turbines for 2 years.

boxxer7
    Free Member

Had 3 pairs replaced under warranty for the same thing, my latest set started to wobble again a few months back. Ended up getting some 3m epoxy resin and gluing the inserts back in, been fine since but only time will tell.

bruneep

Try riding then bruneep – they dont work 🙂

According to strava they have done 5,329.6 Km, if they broke tomorrow I wouldn’t shed any tears, I feel I’ve had my money out of them.

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Another owner of a failed set of SixC’s here. Tried fixing with drilling and epoxy which lasted a while but ultimately failed again. Look nice but made of cheese-avoid at all costs!

honourablegeorge

Trimix – 2
    Leegee – 1
    fathomer – 5
    me – 3
    my mate -3
    boxxer7 – 3
    kneebiscuit – 1
    RicB – 2

bruneep – 1
    theGingerone – 1

That’s 2 intact out of 22 – 91% Failures

spev

i’ve got a spare left hand sixc arm here (the right one broke as above) i’ve removed it from the axle (you need the little Raceface 6mm to bolt interface thingy).you can have it for postage cost if you want it

hazmo

I’ve had one warranty replacement on Next SL’s for the pedal insert coming out. The replacement pair then snapped. Turbines have been fine but not sure I would buy RF stuff again (i’ve had bad luck with their bb’s too).

honourablegeorge

Add three more fails from spev and hazmo…. thats 23 out of 25.

Northwind

I did pretty much all of a kinlochleven enduro with a wobbly arm after it debonded at the axle, never really seemed likely to come apart. I was less happy when the pedal insert came loose though on the replacement set, that seemed much more likely to break. The next sl just wasn’t fit for purpose tbf.

Maybe between the 25 of us we could put together some intact sets from the leftovers?

honourablegeorge

25 out of 27 then, just shy of 93%.

ivorhogseye
    Free Member

SL next failed currently on replacement

Onzadog
    Free Member

SixC here. Failed just inside their 3 year “lifetime warranty”.

RaceFace make great kit providing that you stick to two simple rules.
    1) One material only.
    2) No moving parts.

Turbine cranks have been fine.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Speaking of which, has anyone ever seen this widely known about failure rate mentioned in a review or is RaceFace too “important” to the mountain bike media?

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Yes I’ve seen it mentioned. Usually as an ‘earlier model’ problem now addressed.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Race Face crank failure :(’ is closed to new replies.