Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • R I P John Martyn
  • jj55

…….thanks for the music!

John Martyn

wwaswas

🙁

was listening to him on the way home in the car today.

Thanks for the music John – “May you never lay your head down without a hand to hold.”

noteeth
    Free Member

🙁

Sad news indeed. Fantastic musician.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

sad news

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Was fortunate to see him live a couple of times when he was at the height of his powers. My favourite track of his is probably “Small Hours” where he invented chill-out before anyone even thought to call it that.

mefster
    Free Member

Very sad news. Bless the Weather and Solid Air are two of my all time favourite albums. Great legacy to remember him by.

tiggs121
    Free Member

Aye – sad news. Top songsmith. Always seemed to play from the heart.

Solid Air is surely his definitive work?

MrNutt
    Free Member

ah bugger, I always had some time for solid air 🙁

thanks for the music JM

noteeth
    Free Member

Solid Air is surely his definitive work?

Title track written about/for his friend Nick Drake, iirc.

surfer
    Free Member

Really saddened by this, He was only 60 years old and I was only reading an article recently in the “big issue” and he seemed in good form, although in generally poor health particulalrly after his amputation.

The first time I took my then girlfriend, now wife out in a borrowed Cortina we listened to “sweet little mystery” She tells me know she thought it was unusual and distinctive and that has remained my favourite track for the last 16 years! Also got so see him a couple of times. A rare and unique genius and a sad loss.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Crikey! I wasn’t exactly his No:1 fan but this news has brought a tear to my eye. Saw him a few times, most noteably at Leeds uni when he was aided and abetted by Danny Thompson, on stand up bass, and Paul Kossoff (Sp?) on guitar – awesome!

grahamb
    Free Member

Very very sad news.

I too had the good fortune to see him play live a few times in the 70’s. He always seemed to have such a great bond with the audience, always trying to crack a joke, or loon about onstage. And nobody used the Echoplex like him.

Listening to Solid Air right now.

🙁

duntmatter
    Free Member

I heard some on Radio6 earlier, and thought little of it. Put Solid Air on as a result later, then discovered the bad news just now (halfway through second playing). Was introduced to his music by a mate years ago. Just as I read “May you never lay your head down without a hand to hold” in wwaswas’ post I could hear it coming out of my speakers. Strange how I didn’t know the news, but John Martyn has been all over my evening. Not coincidence, or spooky, just, you know, strange.

Trampus
    Free Member

Not heard the news before. Thanks for the shout. He was/is a great favourite of mine. I will drink to his memory!

wwaswas

Just listening to his bbc sessions again.

He really was very good.

slowclimb
    Free Member

Met him a few times, he used to be a customer in a shop i worked in ( a wine shop hardly surprisingly!) great big bloke, wild as f*ck though 🙂
    RIP Big man

hitman
    Free Member

So sad to hear this.
    Had to work late on Thursday night – turned on the radio which was somehow tuned to radio 1 to hear “May You never” which was a surprise and then they announced he had died.
    Provided the soundtrack to many parts of my life and yet I never got to see him live although I was close on a few occasions.
    More recently as I’ve become more serious about guitar, Ive dug deeper into his music and was currently learning “Run Honey Run” from London Conversation.
    He was on my list of great guitarists I hadn’t seen live, but felt that I should as they were getting on a bit/in poor health, which also included Davey Graham who also died recently.
    Must admit that I shed a tear or two for John – RIP

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘R I P John Martyn’ is closed to new replies.