Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Quick plumbing question
  • Mowgli
    Free Member

Can anyone tell what the thing pictured below is? It’s out of a kitchen mixer tap and is knackered. having a bit of trouble locating a new one.
    Cheers!

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Tap valve. Take it to your nearest plumb merchant

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Why is it knackered? Surely it wil only need a washer?

Mowgli
    Free Member

The thread which pushes the plunger down is stripped.

Found one on ebay, thanks fellas

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Why not get a new tap? An equivalent won’t cost more than 50 quid and be nice and shiny new

crofts2007
    Free Member

TheFunkyMonkey
    Why not get a new tap? An equivalent won’t cost more than 50 quid and be nice and shiny new

Can’t wait until your bottom bracket breaks/wears!
    New bike?

Mowgli
    Free Member

Eh? The valve cost £4 and will take 7 mins to put in. The existing tap is perfectly shiny. Why spend £50, and probably a couple of hours replacing the whole thing?

bear-uk
    Free Member

The last time I changed a ceramic disc valve there were two sizes of splines for the tap head.

devon_roadie
    Free Member

Called tap revivers/tap restorers.

Like has been said above, you may find the splines of a new reviver are a different size or the stem is longer, so you’d be best of buying a reviver with a tap head included. Plumbase are the cheapest near me

Mowgli
    Free Member

Yeah seems to be either 20 or 24 splines, and 1/2″ or 3/4″ diameter. Larger ones are for baths, smaller for taps. I think I may now be STWs resident expert on replacement valves for taps 🙂
    £2.99:

davesmate
    Free Member

Called tap revivers/tap restorers.

Like has been said above, you may find the splines of a new reviver are a different size or the stem is longer, so you’d be best of buying a reviver with a tap head included. Plumbase are the cheapest near me

They’re actually called tap valves. you can buy a tap reviver kit which is the valve plus the tap head.

Previous posts are correct in saying the splines may be different, there are literally thousands of different styles and sizes of valve. Take the valve and your tap head to a proper plumber’s merchant (not B&Q, Homebase etc.) and they’ll find you a match. You should also make sure the screw fits into the top of the new valve.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Quick plumbing question’ is closed to new replies.