• This topic has 24 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Question for the follically challenged…
  • rascal
    Free Member

What do you wear on your bonce when it’s hot and sunny?

If you’re out in it all day you should put suncream on – even if you don’t/forget to/can’t be arsed (delete as applicable). But if you pop out for a 10 minute lunchtime stroll and it’s nice out then you won’t put anything on – especially if you’re sat in an office/studio/indoors all day.

Is there some headwear that does the job that doesn’t make you look like a total weapon?
    Thinking of getting a subtle baseball-type cap that does the job without making me look like a dick, if such a thing exists.

Cue lots of piss-take responses from those ‘lucky’ enough to look like Marouane Fellaini 😉

rascal
    Free Member

Just seen the other hat thread!

wilburt
    Free Member

Baseball cap, flat cap, bandana, whatever just don’t get burn’t it’s not nice.

leffeboy

i was wondering that very thing this lunchtime. I’m off to find the other thread

and my hair

mooman
    Free Member

When on hols, I always take a baseball/podium cap for sitting around pool area; as much to keep sun off face as much as the bald bonce.

ahwiles
    Free Member

I have a selection of hats.

As a rough guide, where whatever the hell you like. Unless you’re older than 23, in which case people will point and laugh if you wear a trucker cap.

Personally, not a fan of cycling caps, as they don’t shade your face…

Is it possible to say ‘i have a trilby’ without sounding like an arse?

rascal
    Free Member

Liking the idea of a bucket hat – I think I’ll get away with one of those…I will be too self-conscious wearing a baseball cap like some Bieber-wannabee.

geoffj

Sun cream – a 10 minute lunch time stroll isn’t going to cause you to burn on 99% of the days in the uk. And we need the vitamin d

Tinners

Don’t wear a Fez (long story that I won’t delve into now) or a flat cap for more than a few hours in a sunny climate because you end up with a well demarcated line – lardy white above, chestnut below – at ear level, all around the head. Better to wear something with a brim. If you DO wear a Fez for more than a couple of hours, then you can make amends by wearing a buff below the line, bandit style, and gently toast the top to match the bottom. However, this is a very labour intensive way of achieving the same result as going out wearing nothing. You heard it here first.

slimjim78
    Free Member

/\ just spat my taboulleh out in delight at that!

senorj

For gardening/ pool lounging I have my trusty cricket hat . Which, incidentally , my missus despises.
    Normal day wear ,me Fidel Castro train driver one.
    Where can I buy a fez? 😉

nedrapier

Tilley hat here.

Spent the day outside on Saturday, working then BBQing/drinking. The hat does the business, shades your face and neck, soaks sweat from your forehead (you know, that big, extended, up’n’over forehead you have now) and stops it getting in your eyes. And if you’re somewhere really hot, you can soak it cold water every now and then and put it back on. Mmmm.

If it’s going be be just a sunny day and I’m going to be going to work and back, stroll at lunchtime, I might put on the wife’s SPF15 moisturiser in the morning.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Liking the idea of a bucket hat – I think I’ll get away with one of those…I will be too self-conscious wearing a baseball cap like some Bieber-wannabee.

Wear what you like, WGAF what people think. The other thread has masses of folks wearing old man hats cos they care what other folks think, even though they maintain that they don’t! 😆

theotherjonv

Sun cream – a 10 minute lunch time stroll isn’t going to cause you to burn on 99% of the days in the uk.

UVB rays cause sunburn, the visible signs of over exposure. You’re probably right, a 10 minute lunchtime stroll isn’t likely to give you sunburn.

UVA rays penetrate more deeply into the skin leading to longer term irreversible skin damage, including recent (last 10-20 year research) which links UVA radiation to the development of skin cancers. And it’s cumulative.

Studies over the past two decades, however, show that UVA damages skin cells called keratinocytes in the basal layer of the epidermis, where most skin cancers occur. (Basal and squamous cells are types of keratinocytes.) UVA contributes to and may even initiate the development of skin cancers.

http://www.skincancer.org/prevention/uva-and-uvb

If you think that avoiding sunburn means you’re in the clear, think again.

wicki
    Free Member

Baseball cap and or Buff uv.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Freezy Winter – Rabbit fur Ushanka
    Spring / Autumn – Bunnet (various flavours)
    Roastypops Summer – Boonie hat.

A wise man once said….” The bunnet cannot choose the heid that it bunnets”

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EOkQP38jDw[/video]

CATCH MA BUNNET!

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Boonie ( or ‘camping hat’ as I call it) is my summer go-to. Neckstrap essential to hopefully prevent wind or carelessness from stealing it away.

Mine has a handy internal pocket in which to keep a fiver. Or a spare SD card. Or something for the weekend*

*Wear one of these hats and That Weekend may never arrive 😉

For more style tips see here:

scandal42
    Free Member

Hang on a minute….lucky to look like Marouane Fellaini 😯

globalti
    Free Member

A baseball cap folds up small and can be kept in a zip pocket of a laptop bag or manbag. I keep an old one for Africa trips in case I have to get out of the car in a traffic jam and walk the last couple of hundred yards to my hotel or my appointment. Other than that I have 17 different types of hat if you include cycling and crash helmets, each for a different activity.

Esme
    Free Member

Don’t forget to protect your ears!

In France, many years ago, I forgot to put sun cream on my ears, and got them burnt.
    A few days later, I ended up in hospital on an anti-coagulant drip (unrelated issue), and was rather embarrassed to bleed all over the pristine white pillows 😳

Esme
    Free Member

“A baseball cap folds up small”
    but not as small as a hanky 😉

mefty
    Free Member

Where can I buy a fez?

Lock & Co – where you can buy pretty much any hat – cheaper suppliers are available – such as the Saracens club shop.

alanf
    Free Member

Reni bucket hat FTW

j4mie
    Free Member

****, having started to thin out on the top over the past 2-3 years, now I have to worry about sunburn as well 🙄

TiRed

Tilley. Mine is a rare microfiber ultra lightweight model. It goes everywhere, is imperceptible in use, washed in the machine and I’d be upset if I lost it.

They are excellent. Nothing comes close.

EDIT it’s an LT5B. Comes up a little smaller than their standard models

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Question for the follically challenged…’ is closed to new replies.