• This topic has 84 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by hora.
Viewing 5 posts - 81 through 85 (of 85 total)
  • Putting cheeky up on Strava
  • cookeaa

That’s what I really wanted to know ninfan. Then it does seem Strava has become a useful tool for the antis…

The question then of course is can it be used to challenge restrictions?

Clearly the use of Strava’s data is all about interpretation and then presentation to reinforce the arguments you want to advance.

So is anyone using heat maps, etc to campaign for the opening up of routes frequently used by cyclists as recognised ROW where they can be demonstrated as safer?

whitestone
    Free Member

It doesn’t matter if it’s on Strava or cheeky or not, if it’s not at a trail centre then it’s shared use so “don’t be a dick”.

There’s a footpath near us that links other things up really nicely but we don’t ride it during the day or at weekends as it’s pretty popular. It’s on open ground so there’s good sight lines in the event that you do meet someone. There’s less than 200 Strava users who’ve done it so not hugely popular.

ninfan
    Free Member

@cookeaa – I’m actually working on doing just that on an area in the South of England at the moment, and have been in discussion with Strava for a little while about the best data for trail advocacy (strava metro costs a lot and carries far more detail than we would ever need) and discussions with others on how we can use that data and present it.

I have another area where we are discussing a pilot to increase access, including monitoring use through Strava data, and (if it comes off) we hope to be able to slay a lot of dragons about just where and what cyclists will do if they are allowed increased access.

jameso

Yes, part of their complaint was about cyclists illegally racing on bridleways, as they (rightly or wrongly) interpret Strava use as equivalent to time trialling.

(we are into technical definitions of what amounts to a ‘trial of speed’ in law here, and you could make a case either way)

Uh oh. Don’t let anyone tell them that people often like to cycle or run as fast as they can just for the hell of it, race plates or strava on or not .. : )

hora
    Free Member

Yes bloody angry bigger. When he calmed down it turns out he’s moved from London whereas I’m over the hill. So I established calmly that I was ‘more local’ than him. A petty point but he was the one banging on about ruining his area etc etc.

As for the Glentress point. One can see why thatd rankle.

A sidenote/off tangent-I still remember the early days of Summer Lightning etc were riders petulantly rode the trails before they were open, trashing tracks etc. Cyclists are almost like immature children in adults bodies at times. Carefree abandon to others, people around them and all about selfishness.

Viewing 5 posts - 81 through 85 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘Putting cheeky up on Strava’ is closed to new replies.