Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Puppy gets annoyed when I leave
  • monkeyfiend
    Free Member

AKA any excuse for pictures 🙂

Each morning when it gets time for me to kit up and roll my bike out, she goes bat-sh!t and starts chewing my shoes, then over shoes as I’m putting them on and walking around in them.

I’m putting it down to her recognising that it’s the final part of my morning routine and she doesn’t want me to go.

wwaswas

you’ve put that dog on a pedestal.

allthepies
    Free Member

She knows there’s a full day ahead watching Jeremy Kyle and Loose Women.

willard

Aye. You need to show it who’s boss. Do you know how she is when you aren’t at home?

My two are used to me leaving now and just look at me like I’m abandoning them to a fate worse than eternal solitude. They have had 5+ years to get used to that though.

Lovely looking dog though.

Milkie
    Free Member

Separation Anxiety, Google it for your breed of dog to find out more. Usually, as wwaswas says “you’ve put that dog on a pedestal.”, giving it too much affection at the wrong time. eg. You’ve just arrived home and give the dog affection when its hyper or you’re just about to leave and give it affection just as you leave.

monkeyfiend
    Free Member

There’s still my wife and kids (2 teenagers) at home when I leave, so I wasn’t sure if she just misses me or if she simple thinks my SPD shoes are toys.

She’s crate trained and the neighbours say she’s quiet while we are out.

Ahhhh, I do take her out for one last pee and play while I kit up.
    That could be the problem then?

wwaswas

Usually, as wwaswas says “you’ve put that dog on a pedestal.”, giving it too much affection at the wrong time. eg. You’ve just arrived home and give the dog affection when its hyper or you’re just about to leave and give it affection just as you leave.

I was being rather more literal than that 😳

allthepies
    Free Member

Well I got it 🙂

sandwicheater

I’d be withholding pudding with that behaviour!

Ours was the same. Still picks up on little nuances now when we are about to go to bed. She seems to know before we do that it’s bed time.

Milkie
    Free Member

MonkeyFriend – Probably is the reason, but it can be different for different breeds. I would not play with her while you kit up and ignore her for the last 15 minutes before you leave. It knows you’re leaving and wants your attention.

Dog Training, teaching owners how to understand their dogs. 😉

fasthaggis

My pussy gets annoyed when I leave.

monkeyfiend
    Free Member

pedestal

Wasn’t wasted on me, I do tend to think of it more as a work stand though.

OK, I’ll try a different routine and see if I can sort it before she gets big enough to swallow my shoes.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Separation anxiety – the dog is worried about you. Why not try getting your kit on and sitting around for a while till she calms down, have a cup of tea etc, then leave without acknowledging her. Then she’ll just think you’re rude 😉

onehundredthidiot

When I’m going to work mine goes to bed and ignores me, this morning he was definitely in the huff. Roadie kit and he looks like I’m abandoning him to a life of misery, mtb kit and he’s at the door waiting for me.

theotherjonv

Do you give her a little treat – biscuit, or a chew, or something, just as you go out?

We do with ours, just a little one, but she associates us going out with getting a treat. So frankly as soon as we start looking for our shoes, she sits on her bed and adopts a ‘won’t you just hurry up and p**s off’ face, and starts complaining if we don’t move fast enough for her.

castanea
    Free Member

Can’t recommend enough watching a few episodes/series of the ‘dog whisperer’ with a guy called Cesar Milan. It will help you understand what’s wrong with you and allow your dog to be at ease.

wilko1999
    Free Member

+1 for Cesar on the box, and his books are good too. Really helped me to train my extremely head-strong dog to walk on the leash properly

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

It can be a problem if not nipped in the bud. Ours licks and chews on his paws even when someone visits the bathroom. This means if left alone he has to wear the cone of shame. Might have to install a cctv and try it without, I bet the little **^%%# probably just chills out once we’ve left the building.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Puppy gets annoyed when I leave’ is closed to new replies.