Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 121 total)
  • Punched when cycling down a hill at 55km/h – wtf
  • Ewan

Had a close call last night. Was cycling down Beacon Hill Road near Fleet last night minding my own business – and a young guy leaned out of a car window and punched me! Someone was watching over me apparently, as I managed not to bin it (strava reckons i was doing 55km/h at the point where it happened).

Managed to chase them down to fleet town centre and video them / take photos before they drove off when I called the police. The police weren’t very sympathetic as it was only assault apparently and they didn’t have any spare cars. Apparently someone will call me back :-/

I’ve got their registration numbers – assume there is nothing more I can do? Wasn’t wearing a helmet camera so it’s effectively their word against mine, although on the video one of them says “He was in the middle of the lane” (I wasn’t and that’s hardly justification for randomly punching someone!). Member of Cycling UK – guess they won’t be interested as i’m not injured (just furious).

FP06VVS (the puncher) and GY11TCV (their mates) – both taxed and MOTd.

Happened about here: https://goo.gl/maps/L2DNqzjnSgUcQLVZ9

scum

crime against fashion

Premier Icon leegee
    Subscriber

I’m glad your are not hurt, these idiots might be looking out for you in future now you have confronted them, so be careful

damascus

This happened to me once when I was stopped at the top of a hill taking a picture. Fortunately for both of us I couldn’t catch them.

If the police take a kiss seriously then I’d hope hitting a cyclist at speed would also be looked at!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-england-derbyshire-52699104

MrTricky

Glad you are ok. I had someone lean out of a car & try to grab my handlebars as I cycled through a town centre. Contacted the police and got a phone call a few weeks later to ask if I was happy with how my report had been dealt with. I’d heard nothing and it turned out nothing had been done. Within a couple of days I heard again – they had finally gone round to the house & spoken to the owner, but denial, no witnesses and no further action. They did say that the car was now on their radar so I’d like to think that’s true.

Premier Icon Blackflag
    Subscriber

This happened to someone in my local cycling club. He went down. Didn’t get on a bike again for over a year. You are lucky.

At no point would i recommend any form of revenge now you know where they live.

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash
    Subscriber

The Police tend to ask people not to post too much detail on social media until they have finished whatever it is they are going to do

From my own experience a few years ago, even if little seems to be done, if a vehicle gets flagged they will be much keener to follow up any subsequent reports.

Ewan

Well I put it on the police’s twitter last night. Can’t say i’m hopeful. If the people that punched me want to sue me for deformation, I say go for it! At least i’ll get their address.

Premier Icon martinhutch
    Subscriber

If the people that punched me want to sue me for deformation

Deforming them or their property would definitely be a police matter. 🙂

Sounds scary, hope the cops follow it up.

Premier Icon reluctantjumper
    Subscriber

That’s bloody scary, glad you’re ok.

I had someone lean out of a car & try to grab my handlebars as I cycled through a town centre.

Someone did the same to me a few years ago, thankfully in an area with good CCTV coverage. Right outside Cardiff Prison! That meant he got a visit form the police and I got an apology.

Also had someone grab me by the throat outside the local supermarket last year, something about I was in his way whilst in a parking space. Despite the shop having CCTV the only option I got offered was a resolution meeting with an officer present. He’d told the officer he would apologise beforehand but then changed his tune completely when in the room. Complete and utter waste of time, even the officer agreed with me.

Still have respect for the police but I can see how some people in society think they can do what they want when the rules are applied so differently.

Sad to say but I wouldn’t be expecting much from the police, not the kind of thing they are interested in these days.

nickjb

Any potential for an insurance claim? It was still a collision of sorts. Even if it is just getting whatever you were wearing cleaned, that’s about all I can think of!? Not for the money, but hopefully a claim for an at fault accident will hurt them a little in the pocket and make insurance renewal more of a pain. Police would be better but it doesn’t sound promising.

Premier Icon frankconway
    Subscriber

Contact local media – but leave out your estimated speed.

devash

If its a legit car then I’d hit em where it hurts and kick the wing mirrors off one night.

Just deny all knowledge when the police come round and claim coincidence, but also ask the officers why they are happy to deploy resources for property damage but not potential manslaughter.

handybar

Glad you are ok and yes i think someone was watching over you.
    I think there is something about being a cyclist that attracts bad energy at times. In lockdown I’ve reflected a bit on my past, and one time I think I could have been seriously beaten up if not killed by a group of drunk idiots for no reason whatsoever. They started throwing stones at me as I was cycling, I went over and said why are you doing that, then they got very aggressive so I cycled off.
    I went back later on and confronted a few of them and by that time the drink/drugs must have worn off as they weren’t up for it then. But you have to be very careful, most of these people have issues with drink and drugs.

Ewan

Contact local media – but leave out your estimated speed.

50mph road, so was well within the speed limit.

cogwomble

I’d take a piss on their car doorhandles and down the vents near the scuttle panels at the bottom of the windscreen, so when they use the fresh air blower they get a whiff.

Perhaps drink some strong black coffee before you do this for maximum impact.

cogwomble

Obviously I wouldn’t.. that was a joke.

However, I’m glad to read you’re alright.

chevychase

Have the police logged the crime and given you a crime number?

I’m shocked by their apparent lack of interest at an assault that could had had such serious consequences.

It’s not like you were punched on the street – a two tonne vehicle was also driven dangerously (and illegally) close to a vulnerable road user at speed.

I’d be putting in a complaint about the police response tbh.

Premier Icon martymac
    Subscriber

Jesus cogwomble, you shouldn’t even joke about that.
    Pee has dna evidence.
    Use dogshit instead.

Premier Icon joelowden
    Subscriber

Mmm….syringe full of brake fluid as you cycle past their nice cars . Only joking obviously…..

Premier Icon joshvegas
    Subscriber

Is a holed bumper not an unsafe driving offence…

Premier Icon jimdubleyou
    Subscriber

I think if you’d just been to halfords to buy some brake fluid and oops, it’s come undone, and oh-no, it’s dropped on their bonnet and spelled a rude word, thats a shame isn’t it.

bigyan

The police weren’t very sympathetic as it was only assault apparently

Game on then?

A 5 litre milk carton down the scuttle panels will not only stink the car out but will also make the car impossible to sell.

Ewan

Well had the call back now. Apparently the registration number alone is not sufficient grounds for a line of enquiry. Experience has shown that they’ll just deny driving, forget who was in the car, deny all knowledge, etc. etc.

The lady I spoke to did see it as ‘serious’ but said she had to manage my expectations, they’ll note it on the system in case it happens again. They’ll also pass it onto the neighbour hood team, however given they didn’t want my photos or video i’m not sure how that works (spoiler, it won’t).

Apparently i’d have needed witnesses + a dashcam for them to have done anything more.

Thanks for all the messages of support. At least they were probably surprised to be chased down by a cyclist 😀

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash
    Subscriber

Any potential for an insurance claim? It was still a collision of sorts.

Not legally!

Premier Icon ctk
    Subscriber

Yep milk **** it. Shame on the police ffs!

Premier Icon ctk
    Subscriber

Oh and well done op for chasing them down. Lsave it a couple of weeks.

So the bottom line is that the police are going to precisely…. Nothing.

Not even  little visit to maybe discourage any future repeats.

Not good enough IMO.

Ewan

Not even little visit to maybe discourage any future repeats.

Yeah, realistically, that’s all i hoped for. Police officer knocking on the door, conversation in the family home whilst mum / dad tut loudly wondering where it all went wrong.

Premier Icon Nick
    Subscriber

Generally evidence is required, the accused could have shagged your girlfriend and you could be trying exact some kind of revenge for all the Police know.

For that reason I wouldn’t try to carry out any form of vigilante retaliation, would suck if they filmed you doing it 🙂

I’m having a very similar argument with the police round here. It’s incredibly frustrating. Initially the police refused to even investigate as an assault, preferring to categorise it as an RTC.

You have given them a very good story, a number plate and some pictures. I would have thought that they would have to investigate thoroughly if an assault including interviewing any potential witnesses under caution. I don’t know if this is the case.

Premier Icon UK-FLATLANDER
    Subscriber

I wonder what the police officers would do if it was a member of their own family that was assaulted? I bet that would get a more robust response.

protect and serve, ha!

supernova

It’s a thing with the more thuggish elements of da yoof innit.

My brother was pushed off his bike on Cleeve Hill by the passenger in a white van. Cops not interested of course.

They’re going to kill someone soon.

Premier Icon ctk
    Subscriber

The attitude to cyclists from police and people is shit. Police need to sort themselves out.

Premier Icon funkmasterp
    Subscriber

I’d be going around with a lump hammer one night in a few months time and beating the shit out of the cars with it.

Did I type that out loud?

Premier Icon slowoldman
    Subscriber

Fiesta, no shirt, joggers. Figures.

To the OP…. you are able to make a formal complaint regarding how your report has been handled.

Premier Icon kcal
    Subscriber

That’s poor. I had a close pass – nothing more – that I felt was just too close for comfort. Ummed and ached but eventually reported it, trip to local station, phone call back to say the driver had been spoken to, didn’t realise blah blah but apologised and would take more care. Realistically a decent outcome, for what you say that would at least warrant a visit.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 121 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.