• This topic has 15 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Spud.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Pub + Camping, Peaks (ish)
  • bob_summers

Long drive with a 5yo from NW Spain to NW England coming up soon.  No rush so we’ll be breaking up the journey on aires/campsites (can sleep either in tent or van, prefer tent).  Looks like the final night will be spent somewhere after Derby – but not much after, otherwise we’ll just push for the finish.

Any reccs for a pub with camping, or a campsite close by?  There was an app recommended on here a while back, but I am buggered if I can remember which thread.

ElShalimo

Barn Farm campsite in Birchover is 500m from 2 pubs.

I’m sure a STWer near Derby will let you camp in their garden !

jekkyl

Somewhere around Ashbourne I’d suggest, you could drive the A50 then. Do you need anything else besides a pub? Having to entertain kids? Or some cycling?

Richie_B

There are a couple of decent campsites at Hulme End (near Harrington) with an ensuite pub and Manifold valley/trail to wander down.

Or there are campsites near the Knockerdown Inn near Carsington Reservoir.

Barn Farm in Birchover is ok but busy during the summer but that true for the other suggestions.

All have safe space to run around.  If you go to Barn Farm give me a shout because it will give me an excuse for a pub pass

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Royal Oak, Hurdlow?

Not stayed there, but booked in in a few weeks as taking the kids on a bike camping trip.

mildbore

The pub in Biggin (just off the A515 N of Ashbourne ) does camping. Haven’t stayed there for about 15 years but we once used it for an orienteering event

robbo1234biking

The Star at Alton is pretty good (although it is really Staffordshire ten mins from Ashbourne). It won’t be far from the A 50 so easy to carry on your journey.

theboatman
    Free Member

The Miner’s Standard at the top of Winster Bank is a good one, basically it is a pub with camping, in a nice place, doing decent food and booze, relatively cheap and run by nice folk.

bob_summers

I’ve checked out the suggestions, some good ideas thanks. Ritchie B, will def give you a shout if we make it up to Birchover.

ssboggy

There is also the Square and Compass at Darley Bridge a couple of miles north of Matlock, the campsite is directly opposite the pub

bob_summers

Also looks good, thanks. Although it is a Robinson’s pub, if I’m allowed to be picky!

ElShalimo

@bob – Robinson’s is very different nowadays. It’s worth a try

bob_summers

I’m still bitter 😉 that they moved Hartley’s to Stockport and closed the brewery!

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

As above , Miners standard in minster , pub with field behind , food ok , beer ok and only a fiver for my tent 🙂 …

Stayed there 2 weekends ago while riding the south peaks loop

ElShalimo

@bob – no more metered pumps – it’s proper hand-pulled ale nowadays and you can still get Old Tom if you want to go to bed earlier than planned

Spud

The Royal Oak at Hurdlow is great, lovely location, food and beer is excellent. Duke of York (Robinsons pub) up the road at Pomeroy also has camping. We’ve just had a weekend at Pomeroy Campsite which is across the road from the Duke of York, is 1mile up the High Peak Trail to Hurdlow.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Pub + Camping, Peaks (ish)’ is closed to new replies.