Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 475 total)
  • PSA: XT M785 Brakes
  • DezB
    Free Member

No mug for me, but i already got a bowl (and 10quid off) 🙂
    And I think they look lovely.

pottsathome
    Free Member

pottsathome
    Free Member

I opened my box and seen my new shiney xtr brakes but I’ll be honest a little gutted when I seen a green rubber thing with an R on it but no mug

mafiafish
    Free Member

Right, class action on mug inconsistency then?

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Fitted mine and swapped over hoses last night. Really easy job.

Going to shorten the hoses today after I’ve bought some new sharpe cable cutters/Stanley knives.

I think they look great but I run a black/silver colour scheme.

Many thanks to the op for pointing these out.

nmdbase
    Free Member

Anyone tried these yet? How do they compare to Elixirs please?

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

Hope everyone who wanted a set has got them- all out now apart from ‘limited availability’ on the silver LH levers.

continuity
    Free Member

I wonder if rose bikes wonder what hit them?

thebunk

Nice big Rose box arrived, but no haribo, no mug, and no bowl! Just some stupid shiny things from Shimano. Rubbish service!

chakaping
    Free Member

Sounds like they ran out of mugs before they ran out of brakes.

dickie
    Free Member

Who delivered your brakes ??

Rose Bikes DHL link says at Import centre yesterday.

Got a Parcelforce Worldwide card through door today as I was out.

DezB
    Free Member

Delivery was ParcelFarce.

For info – one of these bunnies is need for bleeding
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=34710

(£4 as opposed to £40 for Avid’s kit!)

scruff
    Free Member

What on earth is that ?

DezB
    Free Member

They call it… the …. Oil Funnel 🙂

Blower
    Free Member

Bike24 in germany have them i think, for those who missed Rose

lump

Gutted to have missed out n a set of blacks 🙁

Blower
    Free Member

yep got the black ones here 🙂

mryeti1

Mine arrived today.

Got the beautiful free mug, with a small chip in it 🙁
    But as has been said, they come with an olive each, so now I have two too many olives.

Now i’m just waiting on mineral oil and an ‘Oil Funnel’ from CRC so I can shorten and swap the cables.

Cheers Op!

continuity
    Free Member

Mryeti, you can do that without bleeding them.

Go back a few pages, find a pdf guide I posted from shimano showing how to do it.

(essentially, take pads out, push pistons in a bit, pull cables out, cut cables, re-olive/insert them, one by one grab the caliper and squeese the pistons back in forcing oil along the tube, pushing any small air out and then push them into the correct side and screw them in)

winrya
    Free Member

As above, cheers for posting the link. I’ve been looking for brakes to replace my ageing hayes stoker trails for almost a year now. Was set on some X2’s but having use of some recently I was shocked to discover a real lack of power. Once I saw this link I ordered without any more thought 🙂

Ordered wednesday and sat on my bike now, stunning service. I got my free mug and a couple of packs of their own brand energy sweets which look lovely.

I have no mechanical skill but managed to fit them this afternoon. I swapped and shortened the cables and the front one is perfect. On the rear one however I cannot get the pistons to push fully in so is dragging on the disk and the lever bites instantly where as the front has lovely progression. Have i got air in the system and is the only fix getting them bled?

For those who think they’re ugly, i disagree, a lovely bit of well engineered silver. Very impressed 🙂

Xar
    Free Member

I’m a bit depressed now, i ordered mine on wednesday as well and they’re not here yet 🙁

continuity
    Free Member

Hey Winrya. Possible that when you cut the rear brake down, you didn’t lose much actual fluid from the system and now it is a bit too full? Also check the little phillips screw on the lever that affects the free stroke.

Also try taking the wheel off, pads out, and using a tyre iron or your fingers on both sides of the piston to push it back in.

Otherwise, just detatch from the lever, then hold the cable directly upwards, then push the piston back in a smidge, then reattatch to lever.

Blower
    Free Member

5 pages long,Rose bikes must love this.

continuity
    Free Member

Just so you know, air in the system would demonstrate itself in a squidgy lever – i.e. the lever can be moved for a long way after making contact with the pad (because air is compressible, but fluid is not).

winrya
    Free Member

Cheers for the reply continuity. It does feel like the system is over full but wasn’t sure that was possible. If I push one piston in the other comes back out.

Is removing from the lever the only way of removing fluid from the system?

I thought you had to push the pistons out so when you reconnect the hose pushing the piston in pushes air out. If i’ve already pushed it in I won’t be able to do that if you understand what i’m trying to say lol

DezB
    Free Member

Bum. Nothing’s ever easy is it? Post-mount calliper and IS mount bike. Now gotta find an adapter…

winrya
    Free Member

Turns out i just had too much fluid in the rear brake. Pushed the pistons out, took the lever off, pushed the pistons half way back, reattached hose and continued to push completely back. Now feel perfect.

My first impression is how powerful and solid they feel. Looking forward to my first proper ride tomorrow 🙂

Cheers for the advice, never for a minute thought id get a bargain set of brakes and get away with no labour charge 8)

Jamie
    Free Member

@Dez

What you need? I have a XT 160mm Post>IS Rear if you wanted it.

DezB
    Free Member

Thanks Jamie – I think I’ve got the adapter. Will post back here if I have needs 🙂

continuity
    Free Member

I have need of a 180mm is to post, but ima wait and just use my 185mm avid rotors and mounts.

Grats on the self-fix Winrya – pretty satisfying eh!

continuity
    Free Member

Quick Q: I am reusing my old avid G3 rotors, and have got a bit of brake squeal on my first run.

Red rubber grease behind the pad?

Also, worth crosshatch sanding the rotors lightly then bedding in properly? (didnt get a chance before first ride)

allyharp

Out of stock now. I’ve been dithering over buying some for a few days so hope they’ll get them back in at the same price 😕

dickie
    Free Member

So what do you think of them?

Mine came with no adaptor, 2 inserts & 2 olives, a mug & 2 bags of sweats.
    Resin pads were fitted without fins.

I’ve had to run them a bit further inboard to the M775’s to make one finger braking comfortable, & rotating them on the bars to a comfortable angle has ment that my 2008?? silver XT dual release shifters are a bit to far rotated for my liking but I’ll live with it.

Shortened both hoses when swopping round, bleed method in page 3 link worked well & can do one finger stoppies start out the box without any real effort made to bed the pads in.

From the saddle the reservoirs look a bit bulbous & the bright chrome is a bit to bright for my liking.

But for the money there nice strong brakes & feel nice but I wouldn’t be changing my other M775’s for M785’s at the moment but I’ll see how they go & which I prefer over time.

honourablegeorge

Phew – mine just shipped, thought I’d missed out as they were showing out of stock.

winrya
    Free Member

I’ve done 30 miles on them over the weekend and I’m blown away by their performance. Running 203 and 180mm discs the power and modulation is incredible. I assume they’re running on sintered pads so I ordered some organic as ive always found sintered to be pretty rubbish, in this case they are perfect, even from cold.

I do have a little air in the system however:( doesn’t effect normal use as the levers are perfectly firm but when I lift the bike onto the rear wheel to squeeze through tight spaces and press the levers they go soft so I’m assuming the air is rising into the levers. Will opening the valve on the lever and pushing fluid through from the caliper be enough to push this bit of air out?

Cheers

nmdbase
    Free Member

Do they come with mounting bolts at all folks?

continuity
    Free Member

Yes but only for 160mm post mount fork.

nmdbase
    Free Member

Thanks 🙂

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Anyone know the weight on these XT brakes? Or the SLX for that matter?

mtbtomo
    Free Member

And whats the difference between XT, SLX, Deore?

The XT has the adjustment screw which SLX doesn’t have but whats the difference between SLX and Deore?

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 475 total)

The topic ‘PSA: XT M785 Brakes’ is closed to new replies.