Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 191 total)
  • PSA Horizon are we still evolving? bbc2 now
  • kimbers

im loving it great science and dr alice roberts too and the genome lady is lovely too!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Recording this and looking forward to watching it. Suspect we are regressing though.

kimbers

yep getting shorter and fatter in massachusetts!

mikey74
    Free Member

To be honest I’ve thought for a long time that our own technological and scientific advances have actually been slowing down our physical evolution.

It appears we have actually started a regression.

tyger
    Free Member

It does bug me that evolution, although only a theory, is nearly always presented as a fact – D’oh!

There are gaping holes in the theory so big you could drive a bus through them!

bazzer
    Free Member

It does bug me that evolution, although only a theory, is nearly always presented as a fact – D’oh!

There are gaping holes in the theory so big you could drive a bus through them!

What are the gaping holes ?

kimbers

tyger show me one of these holes

nonk
    Free Member

jesus that didnt take long this will run to six pages.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I liked the genome lady too – dodgy boots though.

Nick
    mikey74
    Free Member

Anyone who denies that evolution does not exist is either a Creationist or doesn’t understand evolution.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

Evolution is a theory based upon chance, thought up by beings created by chance, in a universe that exists by chance.

Not saying it’s incorrect, but it is just a theory based on our own limited human understanding of things.

mikey74
    Free Member

This is also interesting:
    Its all in here

IanMunro
    Free Member

It does bug me that evolution, although only a theory..

It does strike me that invariably someone who uses the term ‘only a theory’ has nothing of note to say.
    It’s up there with “I’m not a racist, but” as an indicator of impeding drivel.

surfer
    Free Member

Evolution is a theory based upon chance, thought up by beings created by chance, in a universe that exists by chance.

It is so far removed from “chance” as anything can be.

Do you know what a “theory” is?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

No offence but…

mikey74
    Free Member

To say that evolution is a theory based on chance is to completely ignore the undeniable influence of natural selection.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

It is so far removed from “chance” as anything can be.

Did life and/or the universe come into being due to chance or due to some other unknown influence?

Please explain.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

Do you know what a “theory” is?

Yes, and I’m challenging that theory. what is your problem with that?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Apparently some bollocks called Biggiddy Bangeddy Bollocks.

surfer
    Free Member

Yes, and I’m challenging that theory.

I’m giddy with anticipation… off you go then.

mikey74
    Free Member

Can we explain why the universe came into being? No. Can we observe that the flying squirrel developed it’s “wings” in order to prevent it from having to leave the safety of the trees and run along the forest floor where all it’s predators dwelled? Yes.

Of course, the initial mutation may have occured by chance, but the fact that those born with the mutation went on to be more successful than those without was not chance.

bazzer
    Free Member

Life starting and life evolving are two different things.

So lets get back to the gaping holes and the challenging of the theory of evolution.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

Can we explain why the universe came into being? No. Can we observe that the flying squirrel developed it’s “wings” in order to prevent it from having to leave the safety of the trees and run along the forest floor where all it’s predators dwelled? Yes.

Agreed. But that is my problem with people’s over-excitement about evolution. It only explains what is going on in our small system.

However, it says nothing about the real question of life and WHY it exists in the way it does in the first place.

To suggest that we have solved the whole mystery of life by seeing how it has grown and changed into myriad forms over millions of years is incredibly arrogant and blinkered.

surfer
    Free Member

However, it says nothing about the real question of life and WHY it exists in the way it does in the first place.

Whats “why” got to do with anything?

Nick

To suggest that we have solved the whole mystery of life by seeing how it has grown and changed into myriad forms over millions of years is incredibly arrogant and blinkered.

Who is suggesting that?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

That’s a confusing question. I’m not sure I’m evolved enough to deal with it. 😕

mikey74
    Free Member

I don’t think anyone is trying suggest that evolution is the one theory to explain it all. However, it is a scientifically proven natural process, a bit like… say… photosynthesis, that helps shape us, and the world around us.

surfer
    Free Member

You mean other theories may exist? (I dont mean baseless hypothesis’s)

Come on… out with it.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

Ok, so can you tell me why life exists? What is the reason for it?

Simple questions.

ahwiles
    Free Member

which have nothing to do with evolution…

you may as well criticise the theory of plate tectonic because it cannot does not explain the behaviour of twinned photons.

Moses

You talked about holes in the theory, without showing any.
    Now you’re asking us to answer “why?” Totally different.
    Back under your bridge, please

PS – A theory is backed by observable evidence, and can be used to predict further observations.
    That is to say, it’s shown to be true without effective refutation.

bazzer
    Free Member

Agreed. But that is my problem with people’s over-excitement about evolution. It only explains what is going on in our small system.

It does not pretend to explain anything beyond this does it ?

It makes sense that evolution evolved as life that could not change to adapt to its environment would die out, so it makes sense that evolution is selected for in the first place. So it makes sense that if we didn’t have evolution life possible would not have lasted very long.

Again it does not claim to solve the complete mystery, it gives the mechanism but not the details of what selecting forces shaped life as we know it.

Do you think what you have said so far challenges the theory of evolution in any tangible way ? (trying to open debate not insult you by the way)

surfer
    Free Member

Ok, so can you tell me why life exists? What is the reason for it?

No I cant. My answer will be as irrelevant as yours.

ahwiles
    Free Member

not sure about evolution? – why do whales have leg bones?

FeeFoo
    Free Member

You mean other theories may exist?

As I originally said, it may well be a correct theory. It sounds entirely plausible and is most likely given all the research and data.

That surely doesn’t mean it should NEVER AGAIN be tested and questioned.

You seem intent on “exposing” me as a creationist. Sorry, can’t oblige there.

It is the same narrow argument: either you believe in evolution or you’re a creationist.

Far too simplistic.

samuri
    Free Member
    FeeFoo
    Free Member

No I cant. My answer will be as irrelevant as yours.

Doesn’t mean we should stop asking the question, does it?

bazzer
    Free Member

It’s one of the most tested theories in science, its continually tested and to date has not been shown to be wrong.

ahwiles
    Free Member

FeeFoo – Member

Doesn’t mean we should stop asking the question, does it?

no, but expecting the theory of evolution to provide an answer is misguided.

ohm’s law doesn’t have much to say on the buckling behaviour of slender columns.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 191 total)

The topic ‘PSA Horizon are we still evolving? bbc2 now’ is closed to new replies.