Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • PSA Guy Martin injured in crash in IOM TT Senior race
  • stevio

About 15 – 20 mins ago – we'd just left the grandstand and switched the radio on to hear that the race was stopped. i thought it might be Guy straight away; he's had such a frustrating week with a time penalty earlier affecting his finish result.

Guy is a pretty keen mtber, having done the e2e last year and No Fuss's Ben Nevis enduro too.

Out thoughts are with him; apparently he remained concious and was airlifted the few miles back course to Nobles

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Awwwww SMEG.

I hope he's OK. Any other details yet?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

From the TT website

The Senior TT was red flagged after two laps following an incident involving the number 8 Honda machine of Guy Martin in the Ballagarey area.

Martin had been leading at the end of lap two heading into the pits.

An official announcement said Martin had been conscious throughout the incident and was being taken to hospital by helicopter with chest injuries.

His motorcycle was reported to be on fire, and the race had to be red-flagged so a fire engine could attend.

A decision on the race will be re-run will be made at 2pm.

PJ266
    Free Member

Sad times, hope he's ok.

Jerome
    Free Member

Two dead so far this year.

highclimber
    Free Member

I know its only once a year, but Two deaths 'so far' is too many for the pursuit of speed. hope he's ok!

thefallguy
    Free Member

Hope he's ok, seems like a top bloke and after the frustrations earlier in the week he had a point to prove I think.

robgarrioch

Poor sod, looked like he might've been en route to the win too.
    Checked the speeds at Sulby on TT Live, Keith Amor 192.8mph on lap 1… & they'll be a bit higher coming down the mountain.

freddyg
    Free Member

He's been airlifted to hospital; he has chest injuries but is conscious. Phew.

Does he wear the new Dainese Airbag leathers?

Jerome – Member

Two dead so far this year.

Actually, it's three if you include the member of the public last Friday 🙁

torsoinalake
    Free Member

I was watching the coverage last night thinking he is looking more and more like a 'number 1 one or in the hedge' as the week goes on.

Gutted. He's a genuine character, and I hope he's ok.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Did anybody see the Michael Dunlop interview last night? He'd come second in Supersport and looked absolutely, totally gutted, like he'd come last, only worse. I thought he was going to burst into tears at one point. That's commitment, but they all have it and show it in different ways I think.

robgarrioch

Ryan Farquhar did exactly that (in tears) after the Superstocks, lost by 1.3s to Hutchy, completely devastated. Not ashamed though, shows how much it means to some.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Not ashamed though, shows how much it means to some.

Indeed. That's why they race, and why 40,000+ people brave the Irish sea every year to go and watch.

redted
    Free Member

Apparently Kate, (Guy's GF) has seen him at the hospital and he's ok. He's having a CT and xray to investigate the chest pain. He was talking to the medics and repeating himself but she said that's just normal….! Glad he's ok, he was obviously on one, he always reckons "if you're not crashing you're not trying" he was leading at the time too.
    Must have been a biggy.
    http://www.three.fm/newscentre/isle-of-man-news/eye-witness-speaks-to-3fm-about-martin-crash-1664

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sport/sportresults/TT–road-races/2010/June/jun1110-major-incident-at-tt/

ken_shields
    Free Member

highclimber – Member
    I know its only once a year, but Two deaths 'so far' is too many for the pursuit of speed.

FFS someone trots out this old pish every year…..do you not think that these guys and girls know the risks they are taking.

Philby

Just watching the sidecars on ITV4 now – the passengers must be complete nutters hanging off round those bends! Big respect.

Edric64
    Free Member

highclimber – Member
    I know its only once a year, but Two deaths 'so far' is too many for the pursuit of speed.

It's a hobby whetre they know the risks the same as climbing, or round the world solo yachting or anything else extreme

Northwind

Paul Dobbs and Martin Loicht die, don't get a thread. Guy Martin hurts his chest a bit…

higthepig
    Free Member

Paul Dobbs and Martin Loicht die, don't get a thread.

Northwind,

Very sad, crack on then: Start a thread

momo

Statement up on IOMTT website now:

Maric Thorpe, Accident and Emergency consultant at Noble’s Hospital in the Isle of Man has issued a statement on the condition of Guy Martin, who crashed on lap three of the Senior TT.

The statement said:

“I’m pleased to say that Guy Martin has been talking to us throughout his treatment in A&E at Noble’s Hospital. He has bruising to both lungs and some minor fractures in his upper spine, but is otherwise well.”

“We expect him to be in hospital for a few days.”

“Guy asked me to pass on his thanks to his fans for all their support – and tell them that this has nothing to do with lack of commitment from him!”

stevio

Northwind; living here all my life i've heard enough about TT deaths; i lost a good friend in a bike accident Friday of practice week 17 years ago. I'm sorry- i didn't know enough about the other 2 to be able to say anything sensible about them. Guy has been out with mates on rides around TT time; passed me on the e2e wearing his distinctive sweety p*sspot helmet, and has been well enough known as an mtber (see recent mtb mag articles) to warrant me mentioning it.

Guy has been frustrated all week, and i can't be the only one to think he was getting more and more desparate to succeed.

hora
    Free Member

I honestly am lost for words. Sad and no one wants to die on the track but going out doing what you love. Sad though but better than pissing your pants in a council run home.

Sorry, its harsh but at least they were in the fullest of life.

Still sad.

Northwind

Fair enough Stevio, I can see where you're coming from there. I just sometimes get a little bit narked at the amount of attention Guy Martin's attracted for himself when there are others out there working harder and getting better results without getting noticed by most people. I guess I may be bitter :mrgreen:

Edric64
    Free Member

If he sells himself well he is more likely to get sponsors

Northwind

Very true. Consider it retracted, it's likely I'm being an arse.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

Hope he gets well soon. At home with Guy Martin

lobby_dosser
    Free Member
    cbrsyd
    Free Member

Guy Martin is a top bloke and wish him well for a full recovery but the TT is too dangerous.

The punishment doesn't fit the crime. One small mistake has far greater consequences than on short circuits. The best riders no longer ride on the Isle of Man because of the risks. Sure the throttle goes both ways but we all (even the best) make mistakes and should we be supporting a race that punishes mistakes so severely?

Rockplough
    Free Member

It's not about supporting a race, more about supporting everyone's right to do what they want with themselves.

mushrooms
    Free Member

I think if you take part in the TT then death is possible.
    The fact that if you die for selfish reasons in so doing you devistate your close family seems to be fine.

hora
    Free Member

The fact that if you die for selfish reasons in so doing you devistate your close family seems to be fine

Even Ned Flanders wouldn't say something like that.

br
    Free Member

Just watching the highlights from yesterday; Capriossi has obviously followed Guys' facial hair fashion

But Ron still wore them best.

konabunny
    Free Member

Stupid question: if you live somewhere along the route out of town and you want to pop out for a pint of milk…tough? Or is it just a few hours out of the whole day that the route is closed for?

freddyg
    Free Member

During race week, the mountain section closes at 9.30, the rest of the course around 10. It remains closed until after the last race and any practice runs are done. Can be up to 8 hours I think.

br
    Free Member

But since its been there since living memory, its life in June.

Thankfully supported by the Island, otherwise we'd have a stupid situation like they've had up at Croft:

http://www.motorbikesport.co.uk/newsdetail.aspx?id=1447

Despite the fact that the circuit has been used for racing since 1949, long before any of the claimants lived there, the Judge upheld the ruling against the track.

cbrsyd
    Free Member

Rockplough – Member
    It's not about supporting a race, more about supporting everyone's right to do what they want with themselves

But if spectators didn't visit the Island and boost it's economy the TT would stop.

uplink
    Free Member

But since its been there since living memory, its life in June.

Thankfully supported by the Island, otherwise we'd have a stupid situation like they've had up at Croft:

http://www.motorbikesport.co.uk/newsdetail.aspx?id=1447

Despite the fact that the circuit has been used for racing since 1949, long before any of the claimants lived there, the Judge upheld the ruling against the track.

I live pretty close to Croft [5 miles] my dad raced there in the 50s & 60s & I raced there in the 70s [we both also raced on the IOM]
    The situation is not quite as clear as that linked article claims
    The circuit pretty much closed – only doing the occasional rally X event – for almost 20 years before starting up again as a proper race track

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Conner Cummings in in a pretty bad way too. He's a great fella and I hope he recovers to come back next year.

slartybartfast
    Free Member

Conor Cummins is reported to have leg and arm injuries and hopefuly no internal damage.

uplink
    Free Member

The punishment doesn't fit the crime. One small mistake has far greater consequences than on short circuits. The best riders no longer ride on the Isle of Man because of the risks.

That's bollox

Most small mistakes are punished by a slower time [just like on a short circuit] – the racers are making mistakes all the time – the good ones make less
    I couldn't even begin to count the number of mistakes the average racer would make on a lap of the island – it's a lot
    The best[sic] riders no longer race at the TT because it isn't part of the World championship any more & usually clashes with a MotoGP
    Besides, good short circuit riders often don't make good road racers & vice versa – it's a totally different way of riding

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘PSA Guy Martin injured in crash in IOM TT Senior race’ is closed to new replies.