Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 629 total)
  • PSA Grand Designs
  • FB-ATB

The finish of the zinc on the roof looked a lot better than the previous weeks. Odd to think the kitchen last week was almost half the cost of this house (excluding land).

nickjb
    Free Member

I thought that about the zinc too. Looked way better. A more appropriate use of that material and used and fitted in a way that enhanced it. I didn’t mind the bus either. It suited them and the site and was a good solution to sewer problem.

Harry_the_Spider

I hope they do a revisited episode so that we can see what they did with the bus.

Also, if Kevin’s “magic” has worked they will have 5 kids by then and will need the top deck as a dormitory.

nickjb
    Free Member

I hope they do a revisited episode so that we can see what they did with the bus.

That’s more of a George Clark thing

fooman

Loved it, I wish I had that level of craftmanship!

One thing I didn’t quite get was they showed the sewer on one side (the drive where the bus is parked) but wasn’t clear why they couldn’t build out towards the other houses, where they put the sunken garden. Another sewer? Didn’t show on their infographic.

FB-ATB

think it was for their soakaway

nickjb
    Free Member

Yep, the soakaway. Did seem a bit mean.

“You can’t build your house here because of our massive sewer… also you’ll need somewhere to get rid of your water.”
    “Erm, what about that massive sewer?”
    “No!”

fenboy

ButtonMoon
    Free Member

A classic example of how detached from reality architects are! The plans must have been plastered with standard architect caveats “glass tbc”, “insulation tbc”, “beam spec tbc”.
    A Grand Design, with no idea how it can be constructed.. .. Crazy!

Standard architect in my experience. Do the broad strokes and claim credit for the design while someone/everyone else sorts the details & makes it work. It’s architecture as art.

I haven’t seen this weeks yet but just to comment on these quips from the previous weeks! the previous weeks guy WASN’T an architect he was an ‘Architectural Designer’ not the same thing at all! hence the clumsy design, statement led, ill considered and unrefined response to the client, guy was clearly on an ego trip! ON a project like that and of that scale you would expect a cost consultant plus multiple other consultants to be involved as well to help the client manage the budget properly this clearly wasn’t the case.

If you have had drawings with TBC then you obviously haven’t paid the architect to actually specify those things, or it was on a limited service as you didn’t want to pay the fees so pay a professional you get a professional service. Buy cheap buy twice!

There are plenty of really high quality projects designed by UK Architects so its sad to see a budget of that scale squandered by an unlikeable client with no taste and a poor designer. His wife had no say and no opinion. Vacuous people!

This weeks looked to be much better! but will reserve judgement!

nickjb
    Free Member

Just seen that last week’s has its own website. He’s obviously pretty happy with it: https://www.huxshard.uk/

pondo

Previous week’s was hideous from the outside, lovely but ill-thought-out on th’inside. This week’s was much better. 🙂

Watched the record producer Croyde tower disaster afterwards – little sympathy for him but what a hideous mess to end up in.

fenboy

Just looked the design team up, main guys not an Architect but he employs one! So i might have to take back what i said! :_) still most of their stuff looks awful! Must be good at running a business and marketing! Also like most things there’s good and bad in all professions! and also very subjective …. shame shame!

nickjb
    Free Member

Watched the record producer Croyde tower disaster afterwards – little sympathy for him but what a hideous mess to end up in.

They are going to do a “revisited” on that one. Apparently its almost finished and will be going on the market for £10 million! Although I also read he won’t see any of that as due to the financing its pretty much all owned by investors

grum
    Free Member

I was just looking some of these up and happened upon this one.

https://www.standard.co.uk/homesandproperty/interiors/grand-designs-lincolnshire-couple-s-family-superhome-is-a-miniature-village-of-lakeside-roundhouses-a133291.html

Each to their own but it’s a no from me. The games room is strangely depressing and the £8k bespoke sofa looks cheap.

pondo

They are going to do a “revisited” on that one. Apparently its almost finished and will be going on the market for £10 million!

“This time next year, Rodders…” 🙂

Although I also read he won’t see any of that as due to the financing its pretty much all owned by investors

Ah – maybe not, then.

spooky_b329

The concrete block drive interests me, a bit different to your average block paving. Anyone got any opinions on how it would look in front of your average bungalow?

Would it need any special treatment or sealer, or just the occasional jetwash?

chrismac

I loved this weeks. The site was awful but the building stunning

fingerbang
    Free Member

this weeks building was lovely, and great to see it reasonably sized and not a visitors centre/monolith. Im getting tired of seeing these big ass houses, they did that on George Clark, Ugly Houses show

SPOILER ALERT RE BIGGEST GRAND DESIGNS DISASTER

the lighthouse tower disaster one is astonishing. Just a f))))in disaster. All his neighbours turned on him cos it was such an eyesore. Didn’t he build a second home on the plot, for over a million, purely as a means to raise equity to plunge into his main house? Meanwhile his kids grow up and move out and its still not finished.

franksinatra

Was anyone else wondering why they didn’t reverse the bus in from the oppposite direction, it looked like a near straight run back.

nickjb
    Free Member

Was anyone else wondering why they didn’t reverse the bus in from the oppposite direction, it looked like a near straight run back.

I thought that way looked simpler. I reckon they hadn’t thought it through. The bus arrived and it didn’t look like he was expecting it. As it was already facing that way and holding up traffic they just went for it.

onehundredthidiot

That hux shard one. If I’d spent an eyewatering amount of money on zinc cladding I’d not be happy with how rippled it looks.
    This week’s I really liked the low profile ev panels and he said £6k is that right?

boondock

If they had reversed the bus in, the doors would have adjacent to the wall so it would have been more difficult to get bigger stuff in and out. It would have needed a walkway to get down there too so the bus would be more in the drive and closer to the house.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Also intrigued by the block paved/ concrete block drive. Why? Would it actually save much against a product intended for paving?

WildHunter2009

Got to be careful bagging out Architectural designers… We don’t have reciprocal status with various countries for the professional bodies so plenty of proper architects have to call themselves designers or jump through loads of daft hoops / relive undergraduate horror.

I did kinda like the hux shard visually but absolutely nothing of the clients personality other than ego which feels like a failure.

I suspect the scheduling of those two episodes together was carefully considered to make a bit of a point.

matt_outandabout

That’s a lovely building. Even more lovely garden.

batfink
    Free Member

I suspect the scheduling of those two episodes together was carefully considered to make a bit of a point.

Yes, this has been a feature of the later seasons – it was most startling when they juxtaposed the two cancer survivors converting that old barn, with the posh **** the week before going millions over budget on a “oligarch-spec” gilded cellar in a graveyard.

I agree with all of the above re: hux shard. Thought it was terrible – both the building, and the way the build went. There was absolutely no passion/driving force/personality behind it at all. The architectural designer was obviously most to blame for the failed vision – but the it was the client that hired him and approved everything (I suspect with very little input given). I thought the building looked terrible too: as mentioned above, I couldn’t live with the wobbly zinc. I think the building failed as both a piece of art, and as a home – despite taking ages and costing a huge amount. I think it was pretty well summed up with the kitchen: given the amount it cost, just not good enough, it looked like it was from Howdens. A lost opportunity to deliver something really exceptional.

I really enjoyed the triangular house: really liked the couple, and admired them including details of their IVF in the episode. Bloke was clearly sponsored by dewalt. Thought the house looked much better than the Hux house in the previous episode (which I think was the point) despite being done for a fraction of the cost, and broadly going for the same style.
    The star for me was the garden/firepit/bbq area.

mahalo

last nights was beautiful. definitely prefer the more modest episodes.

id have been happy with just the Bothy bit!!

Harry_the_Spider

I liked last night’s too and agree with the comments about the “smaller scale” builds being better than the £3m Bond Villain lairs. Maybe the series finale will have a monorail.

Not sure that I’d want their neighbours though. As long as they stuck to the permissions and respected the grade status of the house and garden then Giles and Patsy from next door can get stretched.

Harry_the_Spider
    nickjb
    Free Member

I’m a bit torn about the last one (walled garden). It seems they didn’t care that much about the history. The bothy ended up as a kids bedroom and a spare bedroom. They could’ve built what they wanted on an empty site and someone more sympathetic could’ve built a nice little 2 bed cottage in the bothy. The listed building people gave them a lot of leeway so they must be happy with it though. The final building was quite nice and the original arts and crafts design is already a pastiche and not that historically significant. So all in I’m on the fence, or on the wall. A nice build overall and a rotting building has been saved.

Rich_s

Loved the old bit – I’m guessing it wasn’t finished as they only seemed to show one room – and the light corridor and the interior of the new bit (the kitchen! OMG). But the whole thing felt a bit meh for me. At least they cared about it unlike Mr and Mrs Pointy museum bin store.

hopkinsgm

Bit disappointed by the gardener’s bothy tbh. They seemed to make very little use of the existing building, especially once the wee lad decided he wanted his bedroom in the new build – I’m assuming something had go (or be relocated into the old building) to free up space, though it wasn’t really covered. So, day to day, the old building is a porch, the wee girl’s bedroom and a spare room…? I felt the extension was a bit out of scale compared to the old building. I would preferred to have seen it clad in something that would weather a bit to blend with the existing a bit better. Relieved to see that they had managed to sort the garden by the end of the episode though

mick_r

Those “unusable” old roof slates were being stacked very carefully in the truck…… Fair enough they had to be removed to sort the structure, but just felt like they wanted new for the bothy and the roofer had someone to buy the old ones.

franksinatra

I quite liked it but I thought the external finish on the new box could have been better. I just don’t think the black worked in that surrounding. Nice to see an old building being retained though and the programme is always more interesting when they need to work with old and new.

Uncle Kev didn’t work his charms on the lady in this episode which was quite surprising, she was lovely.

jamesy01
    Free Member

Would have been nicer with a naturally slivering timber cladding, anthracite window frames and a sedum roof.
    Nice couple, shame about the press it has generated in the local rags.

onehundredthidiot

Funnily I said that to mrs100th “those slates are being carefully stacked for something unusable”. Felt they could have sectioned the garden and gifted part of it back to the biddies. That’d be a win win.
    Didn’t have much sympathy for his working from home. Bet he still made a mint. Definitely a job that can be done at home.

matt_outandabout

Nice couple, shame about the press it has generated in the local rags.

I managed to click on a local press piece looking for pictures of the bothy. Indeed it isn’t pleasant.

I also thought I recognised her – and have now worked out I’ve met her through work a couple of times.

johndoh
    Free Member

Any links Matt – it would be interesting to read what the NIMBYs have to say.

RustyNissanPrairie

Didn’t like this week’s – the new section jarred too much with the surrounding’s, the Bothy was nice but would just end up as a glorified shed. It’s a shame they/someone didn’t renovate and convert just the Bothy and leave the gardens alone.

I also don’t think timber/SIPS and a black flat roof are a good long term option for UK weather.

fooman

I felt the new build side would have been much improved with a ‘living’ flat roof of wild flowers and grass. The house would look much more part of the garden this way.

johndoh
    Free Member

Just seen the first episode of this series. What a complete and utter bellendtwatfuck- everything I could hate in a person created as a house. Horrible house, horrible design, horrible person.

Still, at least he’s managed to spread the word about how terribly rich he is.

Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 629 total)

The topic ‘PSA Grand Designs’ is closed to new replies.