Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 629 total)
  • PSA Grand Designs
  • uponthedowns
    Free Member

Scraped around for another £1 million on the mortgage and didn’t seem to give a crap about how he would pay it off. Guess he has mummy or daddy guaranteeing it. Also seemed to find about another £250,000 to furnish the place. I’m sure my fellow Scots feel just as pleased as I do about the likes of his family owning most of their country.

toemul
    Free Member

Kristin /salvensen grandson.

toemul
    Free Member

Also pedlad has won the thread. 😳😂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nuke

Good watch and a good series starter.

Be interesting to know what it’d be worth now as the £4.5m is just what he spent. Couldn’t find anywhere saying the actual cemetery location aside south-west London but oddly found it on Google Maps on first cemetery I came to.

Fulham cemetery…

https://goo.gl/maps/TnShfaC6c6JShA3J9

£6m?

chrismac

Clearly having an established background helps with the banks.

joefm

To be fair i think he could sell it for more!

Lovely place. would happily pay that if i could.

MrSmith
    Free Member

i thought it was architecturally a bit dull and overpriced, a bit like the owner.
    there’s been way better homes featured in the past, hopefully some good ones to come.

FB-ATB

For someone that grew up in the countryside (hence liking the green vista of a cemetery); runs fancy fishing trips all round the world and has shared custody of a child at boarding school, seems odd building in London.

Would be a niche market to sell it to as well.

brads
    Free Member

Wow

There really are some horrible nasty small minded dicks on this forum.

Well done all.

Place was pretty amazing. Really impressive how it actually managed to suit the older building and where it was situated.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Definitely impressive. Nice too see the occasional mega design like that

toemul
    Free Member

Yep I’m with Brad on this and for this series pilot, it was a cracker I loved the bath stone and thought the new bit of the place was hidden tastefully considering its setting, him and his new bird will have a whale of a time there you small minded dicks. Thought it a lovely touch he’d followed along the lines of the family business in the extreme fishing game I’m sure it brought a tear to brads eye. 😂

uselesshippy
    Free Member

I might watch it again, but as a drinking game. Every time he mentions being in the army, drink….

thepurist

seems odd building in London.

SW London will be handy for Eton and Sandhurst as Rupert jr goes through his schooling.

matt_outandabout

Having proclaimed 3/4 of the way in that he was going to fail, I left the room.

I clearly should have stayed to the end for big reveal.

(I still don’t really like the property, but I did warm to him.)

Dickyboy

Really quite liked the end product (although I would never have bothered with any of the basement), but what’s the point is professing your love of the cemetery and then building a massive fence around your property 🤔 or is that just the cost of having a swish pad in public view?

nickjb
    Free Member

I wonder if hiding it with a big fence was part of planning permission? Also wondering if he could’ve done something with the old toilet block instead. I quite like that 1930s utility building style. He talked about liking the history then knocked down a big chunk of it. House was nice enough but it really didn’t make much of its location.

Next week’s look more my cup of tea, a bit more hands on.

blastit
    Free Member

This the family home ??
    Nice

blastit
    Free Member

Handy for a spot of biking

onehundredthidiot

I was going to say I’ve played chess with Catherine at the end of a beer festival. Or so I’ve been told.

pondo

How far would he have to walk from the front door to where he wanted the gate? 20 yards? 30? Whinging tit.

matt_outandabout

I’ve played chess with Catherine at the end of a beer festival.

Euphemism?

franksinatra

Well I thought both he, and the house, were bloody great. I loved his enthusiasm, ambition and determination to build a proper legacy house. Good on him. The stonework was beautiful, the house was great and he would easily get his money back if he sold. He got exactly what he wanted.

I assume as soon as the cameras were away he will build a hidden gate in the fence to access the cemetery, Easily done and no need for it to be visible.

The great reveal of the girlfriend was all a bit odd though.

db

Liked it. Pleased there are still people who will build something different and the pool in the basement was great. (As was the staircase).

onehundredthidiot

m_oaa given how much Orkney skull splitter I’d had I doubt it 😁.

Surprised the pool wasn’t one of those moving water jobs.
    Notice he got his gate.

Joe

God how utterly awful and doubt he will be able to sell it for anywhere near what he spent on it. The whole thing is in revolting taste. What insanity. I thought Kevin really struggled to mask his utter disdain for the whole thing and the twit building it.

franksinatra

Premier Icon
    Joe
    Free Member

God how utterly awful and doubt he will be able to sell it for anywhere near what he spent on it.

Have you actually looked at property prices in Fulham?

franksinatra

How far would he have to walk from the front door to where he wanted the gate? 20 yards? 30? Whinging tit.

His front door was on the public side of a cemetery gate which is closed and locked at night. Side gate would give him out of hours access.

chestrockwell

I thought it was a nice pad but not really Grand Designs standard. He didn’t seem to have much involvement, didn’t really seem to be that bothered as if it was just a investment. Anyone (who has the funds) can chuck a load of money at builders, site managers and architects and get them to come up with something but the whole point of GD is the emotional involvement, isn’t it?

69er_Gav
    Free Member

Fascinating episode i thought. Architecturally impressive and given the area I’d expect 6m wouldn’t be out the question if it went to market. Shame about the finishing/furnishing – the pool, wine cellar and gas fire feature in the kitchen were vomit inducing…….can’t buy taste as they say!!

Traquair house is something quite extraordinary and apparently Catherine and immediate family are super down to earth with considerably more taste than the young cousin Justin.

Roll on the next episode!

Dickyboy

His front door was on the public side of a cemetery gate which is closed and locked at night.

Didn’t look like that to me, looked like both vehicle access and front door were beyond public gate, only original metal front gate is on road side.

binners

but the whole point of GD is the emotional involvement, isn’t it?

Not for about ten years, no. It’s about who can order the most expensive windows from Germany while building their visitor centre and going a million pounds over-budget in the process.

tomhoward

Not for about ten years, no.

This. Remember the Irish architect that built his house out of shipping containers, as an eco on a budget option, then put in a carbon fibre bathtub.

onehundredthidiot

The youngster will follow daddy up to Ampleforth £36k pa. I think financially his reality and mine are very different. I can’t help but feel it was a bit vulgar.
    Built for him and child but with 5 bedrooms. Oh and way to much furniture. Rewatch and count the chairs/seats/stools.

chestrockwell

Not for about ten years, no. It’s about who can order the most expensive windows from Germany while building their visitor centre and going a million pounds over-budget in the process.

Ah, right. I do tend to watch the old ones tbf.

z1ppy

The finish was gorgeous, at least you could see where the money went, but just why did he need to go that big? Could have gotten away with just a ground floor extension and renovating the house, and would have cost a lot lot less, than he’s now in debt for. As for the overall value.. well he has a house with no neighbours in fullham, I think it’s might be worth a bob or two, wasn’t the plot 1.8 million?

binners

Ah, right. I do tend to watch the old ones tbf.

Do you watch George Clarkes Amazing Spaces? That’s taken up the mantle of people building great, imaginative things with small budgets and loads of passion. Last nights was ace. A couple converting a 1980’s fire engine into a mobile bar and a 23-year-old lad building a shepherd’s hut from scratch with some amazing craftsmanship that his dad had taught him. All on real-world budgets.

Considerably more interesting than watching a crane lifting yet another half a million quids worth of German windows onto a building site as the owner goes to magic up another million quid from somewhere or other to cover the budget shortfall

The only interesting recent Grand Designs are the proper car crash ones. The Devon lighthouse springs to mind as an exercise in pure folly. It was mesmerising to watch the level of delusion. The bloke may as well have stood on the cliffs emptying suitcases of cash into the sea

p7eaven
    Free Member

^ yr just well jel, innit? 😜

well he has a house with no neighbours

Shhhh…

MartynS

I do like a bit of grand designs some connect more than others.
    the chap with that build in Devon binners mentioned lost everything, he was clearly delusional about the build but you couldn’t help feel for him.

I remember one where a young couple bought an old water treatment plant, it was vast and they did most of the work themselves, including chipping plaster off on Christmas Day. They really deserved what they got, it wasn’t an exercise in how much credit they can get..

Matey boy in the graveyard got a lovely house,, it just didn’t feel personal.

I’d have been a bit hacked off if it was crap for £4m though

binners

I remember one where a young couple bought an old water treatment plant, it was vast and they did most of the work themselves, including chipping plaster off on Christmas Day.

That was definitely my favourite ever one. It was amazing when they’d finished it and a rare example of something that stopped short of multiples in seven figures. The guy who built the place out of shipping containers in Ireland was amazing too.

I just can’t get excited about what often looks like just throwing apparently limitless amounts of money at a project which invariably ends up looking like a visitor centre

The guy in Devon was tragic. He just literally kept digging

zilog6128

Do you watch George Clarkes Amazing Spaces? That’s taken up the mantle of people building great, imaginative things with small budgets and loads of passion.

yup, the “eco gypsy” one was amazing, incredible ingenuity and did most of the work himself, working it out as he went along (quite literally in the case of the self-supporting roof where they started building it without anyone actually having it clear in their heads how it was supposed to work 😃 figured it out in the end though!!) Mainly reclaimed/scrounged materials too rather than bespoke or imported stuff!

https://www.ecogypsy.co.uk

pisses all over Grand Designs now as you say. A lot of the stuff is achievable/inspiring for regular people with a normal budget, too.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 629 total)

The topic ‘PSA Grand Designs’ is closed to new replies.