• This topic has 12 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by P-Jay.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • PSA: Early May 2020 Bank Holiday date changed to 75th VE Day anniversary
  • n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48565417

Very quietly replacing Monday 11th with Friday 8th 2020, given we have one of the fewest number of bank hols in the world, it ought to have been an additional bank hol IMO.

ElShalimo

It doesn’t matter. We’ll be living in a post-Brexit dystopia by then. Nobody will be working anyway.

iamanobody
    Free Member

Surely it’s replacing Monday 4th not Monday 11th?

Drac

What’s a bank holiday?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Sorry. meant replacing Monday May 4th, as per BBC article!

gastromonkey
    Free Member

It should be an extra day. It was a major event in history. If we are given a bonus day off because a royal gets married we should be commemorating VE Day properly.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Bankholidays ate nonsense.

Just give me more annual leave.

votchy
    Free Member

I agree, should be an extra day. I am fortunate to work a 37hr week so finish at 12 on a Friday so this means I am effectively losing half a bank holiday!!

IHN

we should be commemorating VE Day properly.

By sitting outside the pub all day, or having a BBQ? I doubt that a Bank Holiday for VE Day, extra or otherwise, will be used for much sombre and sober reflection on the millions of lives lost.

At some point we have to stop banging on about the war.

Harry_the_Spider

Bugger. That screws up my Friday-Monday weekend away. I’ll have to book a day off.

brakes
    Free Member

At some point we have to stop banging on about the war.

WW3 would make a nice change.

toby1

Booked a trip to France on Saturday afternoon with no knowledge of the potential change, someone mentioned it, but checked the gov bank holidays page and it showed the Monday, so thought it was all fine. Then saw the story in the press the next day FFS, things like bank holidays shouldn’t just move days in the week.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Bankholidays ate nonsense.

Just give me more annual leave.

Oh I don’t know – they have a good vibe about them.

Maybe not so much these days, not so many people are lucky enough to have them off I suppose.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Early May 2020 Bank Holiday date changed to 75th VE Day anniversary’ is closed to new replies.