Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 120 total)
  • PSA: Cheap brakes at CRC
  • jamiep
    Free Member

What position does one put the lever and hose at in order to swap the hoses without requiring bleeding? I’m assuming that one holds the lever with the hole for the hose pointing upwards and quickly pull out the hose and then flip the hose end before the oil leaks (?) Ta

nick1962
    Free Member

It’s a bit fiddly in theory as you need to keep the hose end upright with caliper at bottom and lever upright too while you undo the other one and reconnect.I just leant the levers between some tools, a rag and a cardboard box and left the calipers on the floor and propped the hoses between my bike stand clamps as they are pretty stiff. In other words any bodge will do 😉

gaberin
    Free Member

Mine came with a 1500mm rear which was actually way to long.
    They are fairly easy to switch the leavers over, for the performance, they are not as good as the current deore brakes by some distance, but they stop you and have good modulation, they seem to rub a bit but that might just be my discs aren’t straight. Much better than the Hayes strokers they replaced .

Great PSA Thanks 😀

mooseface
    Free Member

Anyone who got 1500mm that is too long want to swap for the 1200mm I got? And what adapter woukd I need for the front caliper?

stanfree
    Free Member

How do these compare with Juicy 3’s as Im at the end of my tether with them on my Canyon. ? Thinking of a cheap pair for my Hardtail but If they are any good I would stick them on both bikes as a cheap temporary solutions to my Juicy hell.

larrythelathe
    Free Member

I ordered some can not go wrong for 30 pounds, I spent that on line set of pas in morzine!!!

I hope I get long cables!

Best PSA I have seen good work

khani
    Free Member

Me and a mate fitted some to his bike yesterday, came with a rear 160 mount, no front mount and no spare olives or inserts, rear hose was 1500mm and front was 700, we swapped the lever on the rear which didn’t need bleeding after, came off with a bit of a tug and just a straight swap, fitted a longer front hose and bled it up no bother using the top down on/off method which was dead easy, and went to the top of a big hill and bedded em in,
    they work really well, power feels pretty much the same as hope minis, well worth £30 IMO..

fenred
    Free Member

^^ said mate is dead chuffed, best £30 I’ve spent in ages. Got them on the SS but would hapilly run them on my ‘main bike’ too 😀 Bags of modulation and plenty of power when they’re asked for it. Organic pads feel great, lets see how long they last.

@ stanfree, night and day compared to juicy 3’s… different league fella.

bauchlebastart
    Free Member

Anyone know if the piston seals in these would fit M775 calipers?

larrythelathe
    Free Member

Anyone know where I can get hose and olives to put a full length on the brakes?

Do you need anything to bleed them

stanfree
    Free Member

Mine arrived today and although I haven’t fitted them yet they look really good. The hoses were 1500mm rear and 700mm front . How easy Is it to swap the levers over. ?

remoterob
    Free Member

Brilliant PSA:)

Mine arrived, hoses plenty long enough. Had to swap the levers but as expected it only required a spanner and a minute of my time to do, no bleed needed.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I got a set of these too.

All I need now is a frame, wheels and forks, and probably a few other bits and bobs….think that means I didn’t need them but too much of a bargain to miss!

rock500
    Free Member

Any idea if there is a black lever available which is a direct swap for the silver ones they come with ?.

remoterob
    Free Member

I’m going to see if some spare Straitline Levers fit from my old M755 brakes.

Those levers only cost 216% more that the brakes themselves!

docrobster
    Free Member

Finally fitted these to daughters bike today. (26er with 100mm fork 14 inch frame)
    Couldn’t have been easier.
    Lever swap took 2 minutes. No bleeding or new olives required.
    Perfect length hoses for the bike. (700 and 1200mm)
    Had to find an adapter for the front as the fork is is mount so used a rear is 160 mount. Seems to hold the pads a bit too far out but works well enough.
    I’m chuffed even if she isn’t. Horrid Clarkes cable disks can go in the bin now.

granny_ring

docrobster, can you talk me through how to change them over ta?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

What i do is put them on the bike with the wheels out, CAREFULLY squeeze the levers so the pistons move together by 2-3mm. Undo the push connector on one lever and carefully pull the hose out (it may be tight) and elastic band it so its high up near the bars. Do the same to opposite lever but put that hose straight into the first lever, tighten. Put hose 1 in lever 2, tighten. Push the pistons of both calipers back into calipers (this will push any air you may have got in there back into the lever reservoir where it should be.

granny_ring

Cheers wysiwyg I’ll give that a go.
    Did you take pads out before doing all that or just go careful with the pads when pushing the pistons back?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Thats up to you, the rear, id say no need, the front either remove or bag it up in case theres a freak explosion.

Just dont pump the lever without the discs in after youve swapped, you know to test..

Pushing them back..tyre lever will be fine. Jus be gentle with whatever itll be fine.

granny_ring

Cheers

eugeo81
    Free Member

Any reports after a bit of use? Im looking at getting some budget brakes for the OH.s bike, currently has very worn Juicy 5’s, would these be an improvement?

chestrockwell

Been waiting to get paid and hoping these didn’t sell out. Just ordered so fingers crossed. They’ll be just the job for my budget ht build, cheers op 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

They’re still at the same price and I couldn’t resist any longer!! Gotta be worth it as spares if nothing else!

iamroughrider
    Free Member

so far they’ve been brilliant. Lovely feel. Just got some superstar hoses though.

granny_ring

Swapped the hoses over as was as easy as said further up the page. Thanks.
    Not had time to finish setting up the brakes as yet.
    Which Shimano hose and olive/barb is the right one?

scaredypants

some people say “undo the hose fitting” and some say pull it off

Can someone please describe the best way to remove & refit in a bit more detail (to a cable-brake user who’s never disconnected any hydraulic hose at all) ?

granny_ring

Slide off the rubber outer bit, undo the hose fitting with 8mm spanner, slide it down the hose then pull off the hose from lever. I taped the 1st hose I took off to the bar/stem to keep it upright while swapping the other hose over first.

Have a look further up the thread for a better description and it might pay to take pads out and pump lever to bring the pistons out a tad first.

scaredypants

Ta – yeh, I saw the bit about getting the pistons out a bit in advance, seems ded right

walla24
    Free Member

Be careful folks, had a couple guys come into the workshop having done said method….all good until bike flipped to go into car etc and suddenly no pressure, most likely an air bubble floating about (sorted with a bleed)

Not scare mongering, worked on my bike 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Mine came today
    Front hose is 76cm between the rubber covers, rear is 141cm
    (That’s too long for my 16in Inbred)
    The rear has an adaptor on it, and the mounting bolts are included.
    Absolute bargain. Not sure what I’ll do with them but you just can’t walk past stuff like that, can you?
    I’ll probably keep them as spares or put them on my Inbred and retire the ancient Maguras.
    AND I got a £10 voucher!
    Might get another set for £20..!

granny_ring

How did you get the voucher?!

scaredypants

Granny, I got a voucher in with mine too – a paper sheet, not online

I assume it’s because I’m very special

granny_ring

Obviously I’m not then!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

How did you get the voucher?!

Dunno. I’ve bought a few bits off them recently but nowt mahoosive.

nickc

486 and 525 deore hydros need to go in the MTB Hall of Fame. Utterly fool proof, powerful, nice lever, and dirt cheap. I’ve some 525 on my Cham, and I keep thinking to change them, but there’s absolutely no reason to.

granny_ring

Just tried mine out a couple of times on the hill up the road.
    Rear seems more powerful than the front at the mo for some reason.
    I’ll have another look tomorrow but guess a bleed would help?
    Pretty sure that the front lever is not coming back any further than the rear tho but will check.

Muke
    Free Member

That’s the first bits for the new bike ordered then, thanks for the PSA OP

campfreddie
    Free Member

mine arrived this morning… deal of the year as far as i’m concerned (even more so than the kashima rp23 deal, which i also took advantage of)

slownsteady
    Free Member

another steal is the deore m575 lever and caliper for £25 each. Bought a pair last week when they did the 15% drop a day so got the pair for £31!
    I have a set already on my bike but the threads in one lever were suspect and the cheapest I could find a single lever was 29 quid, so these were a bargain.
    flip flop lever design so you don’t have to swap any hoses around. Crc even sent a yellow bleed funnel which are £4 and the rear caliper had a 203 mount adapter on it which are £6. cheers!
    By the way if you search 575 on CRC it doesn’t find them, search shimano brake and they come up, no picture though.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 120 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Cheap brakes at CRC’ is closed to new replies.