Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Proton pump inhibitors, anyone kicked the habit?
  • twinw4ll
    Free Member

I’ve been on Lansoprazole for nearly 20 years and have been suffering with stiff joints and being inflexible for some time. I decided that the Lansoprazole was the culprit and stopped taking them, the acid rebound is a toughy and i’m struggling with it atm, but i’m a new man, i can get my socks on in the morning without resorting to acrobatics, so i’m determined to see it through.
    Anyone else give them up after a long time on them and how long does the rebound last for?

mikey74
    Free Member

Don’t you think it would have been worth checking with your doctor first, before coming off medication?

PS: I’m on those at the moment.

sneakyg4
    Free Member

Hi,

After three years on Omeprazole, I weaned myself off, diet adjustments a bit of weight loss, and learning to cope with work stress better seemed to do the trick.

I keep some on hand just in case the heartburn and reflux return, but all seems to be well currently – Been off them completely for 6 months now.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

I’m on them for acid reflux, hiatus hernia, mikey, i’ve cleaned up my diet and think if i can get through the next few weeks without them, i may be home and free.
    When i went to see my doctor all those years ago and asked to be put on them, he had to look them up, i wish i’d have just kept taking antacid tablets instead of taking the convenient easy option and possibly wrecking my long term health.

teasel
    Free Member

Zombie thread…!

First day without any dose.

I weaned off a 20mg daily hit by reducing the capsule contents by a 1/4 every 10 days or so depending on the acid reaction. The first week was very uncomfortable and I almost just went straight back to the higher dose. Next reduction period was similar but bearable and I also supplemented the dose for the evening burn and pre-empted the sleep burn with some Gaviscon tabs (strawberry, mmmm). They worked well.

TBH even the final leg had me doubting I’d ever get off them but the last few days were fine. The thing is, I caught a bloody virus thing from Carbonfiend late last week and until yesterday couldn’t eat a thing. When I did eat there was a weird subtle acid type response but that dissipated as soon as I had a couple of glasses of water.

So, yes – it’s entirely possible to get off these dreadful things. I’ve been on them for 8 years and am happy to be free.

I consulted with my doc before doing this and would obviously recommend anyone trying this to do the same.

Good luck!

Edit : Also, for me at least, coffee can be a trigger.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Proton pump inhibitors, anyone kicked the habit?’ is closed to new replies.