Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Protein Shakes… What do you like?
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hi chaps

What protien shakes do you guys prefer? I’m after something that isn’t horrible tasting.

Cheers

Ricks

somouk
    Free Member

My Protein strawberry shortcake is nice.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I avoid them.

I prefer my yard to be boy free.

zilog6128

Found MyProtein mixes very well, always go for unflavoured personally.

freeagent
    Free Member

My Protein Vanilla – keep it simple and you can add other stuff.
    I sometimes chuck a banana in with it, or a scoop of chocolate Nesquik powder to jazz it up a bit if I fancy a change.

legend
    Free Member

Time 4 coconut works for me, the missus prefers the Chocolate Mouse. A combination works very well indeed

plyphon
    Free Member

MyProtien Chocolate Brownie is the best thing ive tasted

Mix with a cup of whole milk
    A banana
    75g oats
    TBSP olive oil

Calorie bommbbbbbb

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

My protein vanilla

Will also sometimes add some frozen raspberries a banana and some yoghurt /water for a breakfast shake. Dang good

footflaps

Unflavoured MyProtein and mix with concentrate cordial for flavour.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

MP Vanilla is ok for me.

Teaspoon of cacao powder to mix it up sometimes 🙂

brassneck

SiS Vanilla is fine, and easily available (Tesco, Waitrose etc.) – I use them so rarely, only for recovery bonus points on multi day rides, that they are what I buy. MyProtein seem to be cheaper and no worse if you’re in for the long haul.

thomthumb
    Free Member

my protein salted caramel. lovely.

sadexpunk

unflavoured from myprotein mixed with milk. i love the taste of milk anyway and it just makes it taste more creamy. flavoured stuff is too sweet for me and gets on me tits before long.

i also found out another yummy meal for myself by accident thats high in protein. had some of their ‘milk protein smooth’ (think its basically casein) kicking about, mixed a shake up and forgot about it. when i remembered, it had gone so thick it was undrinkable, but, i could eat it with a spoon.
    so, now i mix a shake up in the morning, pour it into a bowl, add a load of ‘quaker oats granola with goji and blueberries’ and leave it for the day. come evening time ive got something with the consistency of cheesecake, the granolas all gone to the bottom and is nice and soggy with the solidified protein and berries on top. everyone else thinks it sounds gopping but i love it 😀

spawnofyorkshire

Either the Vanilla or Chocloate My Protein mixed with milk.
    Occastionally do a scoop in with porridge oats and a handful of nuts then soaked in water overnight. Quick 2 min microwave makes a really tasty breakfast

hammyuk
    Free Member

My Protein unflavoured then any one of the numerous flavours you can get.
    Instant Oats, Chocolate and toffee with some peanut butter is liquid snickers.
    Chocolate with Black Cherry Onken yoghurt is lovely.
    Protein, oats, orange juice, banana and leave for an hour till the oats “blow” is really good when you want to give the milk a rest.
    Spinach, apple juice, fresh mint with oats and protein is another.

RustySpanner

Protein shakes?
    Is that like the meat sweats?

JAG

Another vote for My Protein unflavoured Whey stuff – mixed with Milk or sometimes Milk and a Banana.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

i like the summer fruits high 5 recovery protein, currently on offer £21 for 1.6KG on wiggle, the wiggle shakers are good too,
    or 9x60g pouches for under £8 on evans cycles

keep on meaning to look at myprotein but too much choice.

wasnt keen on the strawberry SIS, tasted eggy

Coyote
    Free Member

PhD whey protein powder seems to do the trick for me.

soobalias
    Free Member

myprotein, mint-choc.

bought a 5kg bag, sure it doesnt mix as well as the smaller pouches ive bought previously

footflaps

keep on meaning to look at myprotein but too much choice.

Pretty sure they can’t be beaten on price and service is excellent, always comes next day.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Another vote for My Protein.
    Golden Syrup flavour to mix into porridge, or something chocolatey to drink.

bought a 5kg bag, sure it doesnt mix as well as the smaller pouches ive bought previously

That’s a common theme in the reviews if you read through them a bit.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I’m working my way through the last of my out of date Torq Recovery at the moment. Looking at the price of it I realised it comes in at £3 for a 500ml portion. It’s based around a 3:1 carbohydrate/Protein ration.

The Waitrose Essential chocolate milk I picked up from the garage after riding on Sunday was £1.29 for a litre. Per 100ml the choco milk is 3.5g of protein and 11g of carb. which is very close to 3:1 carb:protein unless I’m missing something. I’m assuming if I make it out of Nesquik and whole milk at home it’s even cheaper.

Just saying.

stever
    Free Member

Milk for me, you can shake it if you want. And not just out of contrariness.

teasel
    Free Member

Another MyProtein shout but I use a blend of Impact Whey and Milk Protein Smooth for consistency and flavour. I have a pouch of Total Protein that has a similar in-house blend with added egg protein and flax among other stuff. Not as palatable as my blend – like I imagine wholemeal bread and a Mr Whippy shoved through a blender would taste – but has flax so it must be good, right.

Have to try that cheesecake idea of Sadexpunk, tho…

fifeandy
    Free Member

This thread seems to be getting confused between protein shakes and recovery drinks. If you use a recovery drink as a substitute for a protein shake you’ll be expanding your waistline as fast as your muscles.

I’m working my way through the last of my out of date Torq Recovery at the moment. Looking at the price of it I realised it comes in at £3 for a 500ml portion. It’s based around a 3:1 carbohydrate/Protein ration.

The Waitrose Essential chocolate milk I picked up from the garage after riding on Sunday was £1.29 for a litre. Per 100ml the choco milk is 3.5g of protein and 11g of carb. which is very close to 3:1 carb:protein unless I’m missing something. I’m assuming if I make it out of Nesquik and whole milk at home it’s even cheaper.

Just saying.

Yes Torq is expensive
    Chocolate milk is a very viable alternative, but has a much higher fat content and absorbs slower than a dedicated recovery drink
    High5 recovery is on a pretty much permanent 50% discount at wiggle – £0.88/serving.

footflaps

If you use a recovery drink as a substitute for a protein shake you’ll be expanding your waistline as fast as your muscles.

Probably faster….

nathb
    Free Member

I use Gonutrition, particularly their 100% Whey Protein: http://gonutrition.com/gn-100-whey

Periodically it’s on offer for between £10-12 per kg.

Not found a flavour I dislike, but always ensure I have maple syrup and chocolate mint/orange in my stock cupboard. 😆

freeagent
    Free Member

This thread seems to be getting confused between protein shakes and recovery drinks

Should I not be using Protein powder as a recovery drink?
    The only time I use it is after longer rides (+2.5 hours) I usually have a scoop of powder with 1/2 pint of milk and a banana whizzed into it..

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

This thread seems to be getting confused between protein shakes and recovery drinks. If you use a recovery drink as a substitute for a protein shake you’ll be expanding your waistline as fast as your muscles.

Not this thread, just me. Mistakenly assumed as a cycle forum recovery more appropriate.

Yes Torq is expensive

But does seem to taste better than anything else for the products I’ve used. I’ve been working my way through alternative maltodextrin based energy drinks (Zipvit/MyProtein/SIS) and none of them taste as good (or mix as well) as Torq. The ‘new range’ SIS gels I just got sent free are disgusting whereas Torq’s are delicious.

footflaps

Periodically it’s on offer for between £10-12 per kg.

MyProtein is about £45 for 5Kg and they normally have discounts on top of that….

wrecker
    Free Member

The protein works stuff tastes better than the myprotein IME. They used to do a choc orange which tasted just like Jaffa cakes. The same flavour from myprotein was disgusting.
    I would recommend doing some reading, not all protein is created equal. I’ll only use the 97% isolate stuff. Check sugar content too.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Three raw eggs with the freshly squeezed juice of three oranges. Eggs need to be properly blitzed to get rid of the stringy snot.

nathb
    Free Member

footflaps – Member
    MyProtein is about £45 for 5Kg and they normally have discounts on top of that….

For 100% ❓

footflaps

Flavouring reduces the Protein content by up to 10%, so you’re paying more for less…

e.g.
    Unflavoured: Whey Protein Concentrate (Milk) (100%), Emulsifier (Soy Lecithin)

Chocolate Banana Flavour: Whey Protein Concentrate (Milk) (91%), Emulsifier (Soy Lecithin), Cocoa Powder, Flavouring, Sweetener (Sucralose)

See the ingredients tab:

http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/impact-whey-protein/10530943.html

sadexpunk

Have to try that cheesecake idea of Sadexpunk, tho…

mix it thick to start with too, bout 1 and half scoops and then fill a shake bottle to just halfway with milk otherwise it can stay a bit runny.

yep, i always wait for the offers, can usually get 25% off (buy 1 get 1 half price) type thing. i usually pay high £60s for 2 big 5kg bags i think.

steve-g
    Free Member

If I have been sculpting the guns then I treat myself to a few Costco chicken nuggets, I think 4 of them is 30 odd grams of protein. If have really smashed it and am after MASSIVE GAINZZZZZZ then I hit the Harvesters chicken and rib combo instead.

footflaps

For 100%

Protein Works 97% is £45.99 for 2kg.
    They claim 97g protein per 100g, so 1940g per 2kg bag
    which works out at £0.0237 per gram protein

MyProtein basic Impact Whey is £46.79 for 5kg.
    They claim 82g protein per 100g, so 4100 per 5kg bag
    which works out at £0.0114 per gram protein

Assuming no slip ups in my sums……

So you’d need to get at least 50% off with The Protein Works to match MyProtein on price per gram protein.

nathb
    Free Member

footflaps – Member
    For 100%
    Protein Works 97% is £45.99 for 2kg.
    They claim 97g protein per 100g, so 1940g per 2kg bag
    which works out at £0.0237 per gram protein

MyProtein basic Impact Whey is £46.79 for 5kg.
    They claim 82g protein per 100g, so 4100 per 5kg bag
    which works out at £0.0114 per gram protein

Assuming no slip ups in my sums……

So you’d need to get at least 50% off with The Protein Works to match MyProtein on price per gram protein.

But I quoted gonutrition’s 100% for say £50 per 5kg.

Following your math:
    76g/100g
    3800/5000g
    £0.0131 per gram.

I’ll look into myprotein (which was actually started by the guy who owns gonutrition haha).

kerbdog
    Free Member

Im using Optimum Nutrition Gold standard 100% Whey at the moment, mixes easily but is a little watery for my tastes.
    Last tub i had was USN Anabolic muscle fuel which is a thicker consistancey but not as high a quality as the Optimum nutrition stuff in my opinion.
    Been looking at Nutribio protein recently and might try that when ive run out.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Protein Shakes… What do you like?’ is closed to new replies.