Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Protecting chainstay from tyre rub – anti-chain suck plate?
  • 13thfloormonk

I get an occasional bit of tyre rub on the back of my Kinesis, I guess when they said the frame had clearance for 40mm tyres they didn’t actually mean real world clearance with room for mud, flex etc…

It might not even be the tyre rub that’s the problem, it might just be grit and mud passing through the gap. Either way there is already a slight groove developing.

Has anyone tried repurposing one of those stainless steel chain suck plates from a carbon bike? I could live with losing a tiny bit of clearance as the tyre rub is quite infrequent.

Alternative is of course 5mm narrower tyre but the 40mm tyre is brilliant, fast yet floaty, would be a shame to lose it…

Ta

qwerty
    Free Member

Just battle scars innit 👌

13thfloormonk

Battle scars I can live with, detached chainstay less so!

Think I’m worrying about nothing?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve gone down to a 35mm tyre from 40 on my CAADX for the winter (and haven’t bothered to swap back as it’s not worn out), TBH the difference is pretty marginal though, it’s less of everything you’d expect, but it doesn’t suddenly make it uncomfortable or start smashing the rim on every root. I do run a foam insert in it but not sure it does much.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I’ve tried it and they can’t be secured in such a way that means they don’t foul the tyre or ping off.

I’d just live with it, 40s are so superior to 35s.

scotroutes

Just wrap it in some sacrificial heli tape.

13thfloormonk

Yeah, will do the sacrificial tape thing first, actually see how much damage the tyre is doing.

Found some 3M stainless steel tape online, intriguing…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

How about a few thin cable ties around the chainstay?

chakaping
    Free Member

If Heli tape goes through a bit quickly, maybe use rubber mastic tape instead.

So long as it doesn’t narrow the gap too much.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Protecting chainstay from tyre rub – anti-chain suck plate?’ is closed to new replies.