Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Proper 1st World Car Choice dilemma
  • sturdylad
    Free Member

Just wondered if anyone in the hive had experience of either of these cars and could offer some feedback.

Audi A6 Avant Black Edition 64 Plate with the ultra engine. Manual

Or

Mercedes E Class 220 bluetec (I think that’s what it’s called) AMG Night Edition 65 plate 7 speed auto

Both the same price/mileage and about the same economy. Both the same colour..

Test driven an none ultra spec Audi and a Merc of nearly identical spec.

Liked both

I’ve promised myself an A6 for a long time, and now I’ve sold my T5 (lots of STW boxes being ticked I know…) It’s time to get moving and get a car again.

I was all set to buy an A6 but it sold before I could get to it and as is the way of these things they seem to become harder to get hold of when you have the £ in your pocket, so I looked at alternatives and that’s how I ended up driving the E class this morning.

So great motoring minds, who’s had what and would care to offer an opinion?

I’m going to be doing around 80 miles a day on A road commutes if that makes a difference.

Thanks in anticipation (I’ll go to sleep in a flameproof suit just in case…)

RustySpanner

How do you feel about the mums you see when dropping the kids off at school?

sturdylad
    Free Member

Thankfully I don’t have to bother with the school run or I’d be on a murder charge.

It’s beyond pathetic where 2 of ours go.

It wouldn’t matter how I felt about them I wouldn’t be able to see past their appalling driving!

RustySpanner

Mercs have a certain raffish charm, especially loutish ones.

Audi’s are a bit naff really, aren’t they?

How about a Jag?

Can I just point out that I know less than **** all about posh cars. It’s just that with the lack of regular posters the rest of us are on a rota – I’ve got dogs, cars and transgender rights tonight……

v8ninety

Audi is better looking than the Merc. But will you be able to get out of your head that the Audi is closely related to a Passat and even a Skoda Superb? Merc is bona fida fancy.

Both are a shockingly expensive way of saying to the world that you have considerably more money than them… maybe

newrobdob
    Free Member

Audi is better looking than the Merc

That is like saying my diarrhoea is sweeter smelling than yours. Good looking? Errr, no.

cchris2lou

How about à Tesla ?

sturdylad
    Free Member

I’d probably have a Tesla in a heartbeat if I could afford one!

Demo’d a Leaf last year and loved it, sadly neither big enough or practical enough for my current needs.

Doesn’t bother me in the slightest that the Audi is related to Skoda or VW, I’d have either of them but neither brand do a spec/look feel that I like enough.

I’m not a brand snob, I just choose (or will choose!!) a car I like the look of and has the toys I want.

I’d have a Kia Stinger if they did it in a sporty diesel!

Klunk
    Free Member
    howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I like automatics

Stevet1
    Free Member

Can I just point out that I know less than **** all about posh cars. It’s just that with the lack of regular posters the rest of us are on a rota – I’ve got dogs, cars and transgender rights tonight……

Made me laugh. Well, smile a little.

typer
    Free Member

I’ve had two C7 Audi A6, the first was a 2013 S Line Avant non ultra mutitronic, I changed this last year to a 2017 Avant Black Edition 2.0l diesel ultra S Tronic. The car suits my needs perfectly, plenty of space for the family and reasonably inexpensive to run (aside from road tax on the 2017). It is a big old barge of a car though so parking can sometimes be a bit of a pain.

Both have been 100% reliable so far, so go for it I say 🙂

v8ninety

Both have been 100% reliable so far

In fairness, you’d bloody hope so for £40,000 bar the shrapnel! Crikey.

lunge

I’d get the Merc, the E-class is a bloody lovely car and the auto bx would swing it for me.

typer
    Free Member

lol, well yeah, you’d hope so…… just to add, I paid nowhere near 40k for either of them 😉

sturdylad
    Free Member

So…. 50/50 so far then.

Damn it people!

I think it may come down to which dealer offers the best deal, but I’m just mindful of regretting not getting the A6 I’ve promised myself so long.

Coming from a van (also a truck driver in a former life), I’m not concerned about parking issues!

craigxxl
    Free Member

I’d go for the Merc too. My uncle had changed from an A6 Avant S Line to a Merc E 220 AMG Line. He’s had various Audi’s for well over a decade but constantly moaned about the quality going downhill.  My cousin had been an Audi fan too but changed to a C Class, after my uncle had driven his a few times he changed his loyalty too and now the E class.

I’ve only been a passenger in the E Class and it’s a very nice place to be to cover long distances. It’s also seems a lot roomier than the A6.

Try and get a weekend test drive of them both to make your mind up

paulneenan76
    Free Member

I think there is a new A6 coming in May so the last version is gonna age pretty fast – though you could get a good deal soon.  If you check out the new iteration of the A4 you’ll notice that the tech inside is a step up, so if you really want the A6 you’ve promised cos it has all the bells and whistles, wait for the new one or you will have old bells and whistles!

The Merc is a great car and a lot less “hearse-like” than they used to be.

The Passat and Superb are brilliant cars but not as premium.

Not sure about the Jag, bit “old man” for me.  Outside of this its slim pickings.

footflaps

>I’d probably have a Tesla in a heartbeat if I could afford one!

>Demo’d a Leaf last year and loved it, sadly neither big enough or practical enough for my current needs.

Was watching a few reviews of the new Leaf over the WE and was very tempted. Then I realised I don’t need a car…

tonyg2003

I’m on my third e class so you can say I like them. The (for the fanboys) e220 s212 eclass has a good reputation for reliability. My airport taxi driver has +250K on his with minimal problems and another on +100K.

Although you won’t go wrong with either the A6 or e220. First world problem indeed.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Out of those two, the Audi for me but would have to be auto.

I’d go for a Jag XE R-Sport petrol given the choice.

benp1

I have an S212 e class, I like it. Changed from a 5 series. The thing is huge, feels bigger than my 5 series. Not a fan of the A6 so it wasn’t on my short list. I have a dog so wanted a squarer back end for more height for the dog. They also have the option of 2 more seats in the boot, we don’t use them very often but it’s handy knowing they’re there (for carting kids around)

best of all my wife likes driving it, and she hated my 5 series. She wanted something small but we need a big car for family life, the auto box makes life very easy

dantsw13

I’m picking up my new A6 Avant on Wednesday. It’s heavily reduced as a new model is due ((£10k of list)

the basic spec (SE executive) has all you need – leather, heated seats, satnav, phone integration, DAB, elec tailgate – and has softer suspension than the top models.

Ultra is is the designation for the most frugal engine in each range and won’t affect the spec.

They are very nice inside – I looked at the Merc , but it was an extra £130/ month on PCP over the A6.

if you are looking at a 4 yr old car, have you considered a PCP deal? For 20k miles/year you will pay £360/month on a 4 yr deal.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

forget those cars, you need this:

https://www.thecarwarehouse.co.uk/vehicle/19/toyota-hiace

they have other interesting but normal stuff on their site as well – Japanese imports.

ElShalimo

Have you looked at the new Volvo V90?

sturdylad
    Free Member

Not buying new..

Did have a quick look online a Volvo but don’t think they’re for me. I might have a gander round the dealership in the next few days though just to see what they’re like in the metal

hugo
    Free Member

If it’s about the badge then Merc or BMW every time.

Can’t get my head around why Audi is definitively more premium than VW, Skoda or Seat!

sturdylad
    Free Member

Not about the badge, see above!

wombat

My 2p.

I looked at the (2/3/4 year old) A6 and E Class last year as well as the Volvo V60 (different sizes I know…)

I found the seats in the Audi far too firm, coming from a 7 year old Superb.  The Merc seats were too wide for me and I didn’t feel secure in it round corners, not ragging it, just driving normally.  I hasten to add I’m  not particularly thin…

Overall the seats in the Volvo were by far the most comfy IME.  This alone put me off the Audi and Merc (also the salesman at my local Audi dealer was a weapons grade twunt).

Having said that I bought something completely different… 😀

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Proper 1st World Car Choice dilemma’ is closed to new replies.