• This topic has 110 replies, 57 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Klunk.
Viewing 31 posts - 81 through 111 (of 111 total)
  • Prometheus just starting
  • BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I think it’s a good film. Good atmosphere and great visuals .

Take some drugs, set the telly to mute and play the soundtrack from Star Trek III and it’d probably be passable
    EDIT – or Bill And Ted’s Excellent Adventure

vondally
    Free Member

I watched the whole film again last night, still say it is drivel and I adore sci fi films and books. I can suspend belief but what makes Alien and ALiens outstanding is the script themes and interaction of the cast.

Alien had the engineers aka mothers union asking for more money, moaning complaining and generally being human, the auidance cared for the crew and what happened. Plus strong characters regardless of gender.Also they had a rationale of action.

Real shocking scenes even today, tight, nervy and a design that mixed functionality with art deco.

Prometheus just sucked seen it in 3d on opening day and then twice more and it gets worse but when telly takes 5 mins or more out then it becomes incomprehensible. Characters dire stereotypes ( sports jock I will take the risks/worried on the edge might breakdown/oh look at me mad but out of my depth), dire dialogue and mis use of the cast. Idris E as the capt really interesting , THeron is a good actress but was lumbered with dire character, who was meant to be the counterpoint to Shaw…….both survivalists one however has a depth of reserves, a human trait. Fassbender is brilliant.

as for the future Prometheus 2 will find the creators in civil war, with two ultimate war machines, the Aliens and The Humans.

Neil BLonkmap loved District 9 enjoyed Elysuim till it got silly in the last quarter….not seen chappie daren’t so not expecting much.

I still like Alien 3 lots to commend in it.

Oh and Kermode is brilliant.

Drac

I was posting something related to the conversation for the possible interest of others on the forum, and you’re just being flippant.

I posted my feelings on Kermode.

I find him dull and only likes the films that are arty farty. Expert or not I don’t have to agree with him or his taste in films.

Seriously, I only contribute to threads in the spirit of discussion and learning on the subject at hand. As far as i know that’s the point of a forum.

You may have noticed I was already posting in the thread.

If you’re going to continue to put me down and take the piss I’m going to be put off being here, and I don’t think I’ll be alone in that opinion.

I’m really not doing that, I expressed my opinions on Kermode not about you.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Hmmmmm….. OK

Dunno man, I think your turn of phrase is poor, “That’s nice for him” come across as a slap when someone posts something meant to be of interest or relevance.

Maybe more emoticons? They exist for a good reason!

In passing I think you’re also getting MK wrong – films he’s recommended recently include Guardians of the Galaxy and F+F 7. Not really arty farty!

If you really didn’t mean to offend, then I also apologise for being so touchy.

Drac

Don’t apologise I can see how it came across wrong but wasn’t my intensions.

Yeah, Guardians of the Galaxy I really found that painful to watch just didn’t enjoy it.

Fast and Furious I’ve not watched since I struggled through the first one.

Sancho
    Free Member

I was hoping for a good film from Prometheus, but I feel they tried to do too much and the characters were just no interesting and unreal.

Running around in space as they were was just boring.

No suspense or horror. not that it is a horror film, but the CGI is never going to make up for the ludicrous story.

vondally
    Free Member

Guardians of the Galaxy I really found that painful to watch just didn’t enjoy it

that is the joy of films and discussions personally Guardians is brilliant, sparkling script, pace wit and a knowing wink to the fans of the gendre but accessible to a first time viewer in matter of fact everything Prometheus is not

gonefishin
    Free Member

I find him dull and only likes the films that are arty farty.

Dear lord the man liked Mamma Mia. His “Pirates of the Caribbean 3” rant is however a joy to behold

HtJI.

vondally
    Free Member

for rants from Mr Kermode Sex in the city 2, brilliant

brassneck

Rated the Lego Movie too

Pigface
    Free Member

Guardians of the Galaxy I really found that painful to watch just didn’t enjoy it.

I find that beyond belief 😯 but each to their own

Kermode is brilliant, doesn’t just like arty films, his rants are legendary.

Drac

that is the joy of films and discussions personally Guardians is brilliant, sparkling script, pace wit and a knowing wink to the fans of the gendre

Hahaha! Now you see I find the script twee, wit poor it was fast paced but still some how dragged on. Maybe because I’m not familiar with it before the film I missed something.

Be boring if we all liked the same films.

Dear lord the man liked Mamma Mia

I rest my case.

jimjam
    Free Member

Drac

I posted my feelings on Kermode.

I find him dull and only likes the films that are arty farty. Expert or not I don’t have to agree with him or his taste in films.

Drac

Dear lord the man liked Mamma Mia

I rest my case. [/quote]

When you’ve just contradicted yourself? Kermode is excellent, and likes the films he enjoys whether “arty farty” or not. It seems like you really don’t know much about him if that’s your opinion. Perhaps he uses too many big words.

Drac

The man likes Mamma Mia it demonstrates why I don’t agree with his taste in films and why I won’t take notice of his reviews.

gonefishin
    Free Member

The man likes Mamma Mia it demonstrates why I don’t agree with his taste in films and why I won’t take notice of his reviews.

True, however it does somewhat give lie to your statement that he only likes “arty farty” films.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Hello to Jason Isaacs.

Pigface
    Free Member

Fairport Convention

hatter

I do love a good Kermode rant, his Transformers 2 & 3 reviews were ones for the ages.

I also agree that whilst he does like ‘arty farty’ stuff he’s not nearly as sniffy as many film critics and he does a love a good silly blockbuster if it’s done well and has it’s heart in the right place, the first Avengers film for instance.

Drac

I also agree that whilst he does like ‘arty farty’ stuff he’s not nearly as sniffy as many film critics and he does a love a good silly blockbuster

He’s far from the worst yes.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

it’s a Sci-fi not a documentary.

That’s fair enough, but it’s got to be consistent with it’s own internal logic (a phrase I’ve pinched from somewhere else).

Suspension of disbelief covers a lot of stuff in movies (e.g. all the sci-fi tech, playing a bit fast and loose with the laws of physics, fights going on for longer than one or two good punches, endless ammo etc.) but things still need to make sense within that context or you’re just left going “Eh? Why would he/she do that?”.
    You know it’s not a great film when it basically throws plot holes or inconsistencies in your face rather than sweeping you along past them.

jairaj

Suspension of disbelief covers a lot of stuff in movies …. but things still need to make sense within that context or you’re just left going “Eh? Why would he/she do that?”.

Yep exactly that. It has the makings of a good action film but some of the plots just don’t make any sense. The stupid thing is they could have easily been sorted.

e.g. The bit where the Biologist touches the weird vagina snake thing. Couldn’t they have just used another character with less sense, maybe one of the “Action Man” types on the trip? Or made it so it looked a lot more cuddly and friendly before attacking, Or wrote it so they were trying to capture the snake and take it back for examination when it escaped and caused havoc.

I actually think that by using more common sense the plot would have had more suspense rather than just going for a quick action scene.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

I just googled one of those “everything wrong with Prometheus” videos, was all bar 12 minutes the whole film 😉

Cougar

Two things annoy me about Prometheus.

First, it’s easy to call out the monumentally bad decisions made by the crew, and they are legion. But from a plot POV it’d be forgiveable if it’d turned out that this set of jokers were intentionally expendable. And we’ve precedence here, Burke later says as much to the team in Aliens. I kept waiting for that reveal, but no, they’re supposed to be leaders in their field, Weyland wanted the best people to maximise his self-serving chances. The fact that they’re inept I can forgive; that they’re inept and not supposed to be is the crime here.

Second is the Donnie Darko effect. There is in Prometheus a good film trying to get out. The story is actually rather brilliant, once you’ve read all the backstory which fleshes it out and various web sites which interpret what’s going on. But self-contained it’s not that it’s ambiguous or mysterious but rather that it doesn’t tell the full story, it doesn’t give you what you need to make sense of it. I’m all for rich multimedia worlds adding value and flavour to movies, but when you need the Cliff Notes to make sense of a two hours plus movie, something has gone wrong.

The latter point I think is fixable with a Director’s Cut, maybe a bit of additional exposition. Not sure as there’s much you can do about Team Dim, but it’s not a dead loss.

Most other things I can forgive. The C-section argument for instance, how do we know what medical advances have been made? Modern surgery would seem like witchcraft to a 19th Century doctor.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

they’re supposed to be leaders in their field

“I’M A GEOLOGIST!! I LOVE ROCKS!!”

The abortion vending machine I can actually forgive, it may be really good at fixing muscles.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Drac – where do you stand on 5th Element?

joat

It didn’t hold my attention for long, though I had just ridden the Fred Whitton and was a little tired.

bigrich

the fifth element is a classic scifi film.

where do you stand on 5th Element?

good coil, rubbish air.

budgierider67

Most other things I can forgive. The C-section argument for instance, how do we know what medical advances have been made? Modern surgery would seem like witchcraft to a 19th Century doctor.

Because it was an just automated staple gun.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Watched it today, didn’t think much of it. Fasbender acted the all off the set with display of nothing. But where did that scotch burd Lear to act? Genuinely cringeworthy.

Klunk
    Free Member

Because it was an just automated staple gun.

and a few random injection pens.

Viewing 31 posts - 81 through 111 (of 111 total)

The topic ‘Prometheus just starting’ is closed to new replies.