• This topic has 110 replies, 57 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Klunk.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 111 total)
  • Prometheus just starting
  • bigrich

fermenting my Korean style veg … I shall be able to consume them after 4 to 5 days.

expect something to painfully burst from your bowel. It may well be acidic.

I always assume in the future nobody knows anything, they just use the internet: therefore they don’t have time to google “which is the best way to run away from a rolling spaceship?” and “should I do heavy lifting after major abdominal surgery?”

mogrim

It wasn’t on here, but even if it had been I don’t think I’d bother to watch it again – great looking film let down by an awful script.

I watched X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Which was ideal Sunday night viewing after a couple of beers 🙂

prettygreenparrot

Prometheus reminded me of a poorer episode of Scooby Doo. Disappointing on so many levels.

The Lair of the White Worm on the other hand is a magnificent spectacle worthy of many showings.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Bigrich, you forgot:

“Should I plug the alien head into the brain exploder first or last as part of my autopsy?”

“I am the man that has the map making equipment, why am I lost?”

“Should I touch the alien snaky thing?”

Etc.

BoardinBob

Dull looking Afrikaans girl from Benoni.

Drac

Dull looking Afrikaans girl from Benoni. Not my thing.

😕

hora
    Free Member

Its a film. Why the vitirol?

Alien was a good film. The sequels were at least on a par with the prequel (i.e not as good as the first).

oldnpastit

Terrible cliched junk.

There’s a place for cliched Sci-fi films, and it would have been OK if it hadn’t had so much pre-release hype, and didn’t take itself so terribly seriously in the opening scenes.

Drac

I learnt a long time ago to avoid hype of films. Watch the odd trailer maybe talk about it a little but avoid the big media push for them as you’ll always end up disappointed.

nickc

Regardless it’s still the same, it’s a Sci-fi not a documentary.

I’m as willing as the next man to suspend my disbelief, but there comes a point at which when moving the story along to get within a Hollywood bean counter’s idea of how long people will watch a film, at the expense of “a plot” becomes too much weight to carry, even for a Director as talented as Ridley Scott. It was clearly at some point “An Ambitious Undertaking” that has had too many revisions, and the insertion of “action for the sake of it” And so you end up with a film that’s a curious mixture of Ridley’s endless reinterpretation of catholic themes, bizarre cuts to get it to a shorter length, and freeeking lasers action sequences.

At some point there may well be a version that makes any kind of sense, but the “running about smashing stuff up with a space axe after having your stomach cut open” deserves all the heaps of shit that are poured endlessly upon it.

DrJ

And it’s got Charleze Theron in it. Who can’t act her way out of a wet paper bag

As well as being insulting to the mother of my children (she doesn’t know it yet, though) your post is incorrect – Charlize Theron is a pretty good actress – see e.g. Monster

D0NK

what really ruined it for me was the ass backwards actions of the crew in every important scene.

good point well made. But TBH soooo many films/dramas have similar, oh so predictable dumbass manoeuvres that it’s hardly on it’s own. But some of the characters’ moments of stupidity were on a par with those from horror movies.

and yes the c section/running about thing.

Started to watch it again, remembered it was a school night, will finish watching later in the week. So worth a rewatch but only because I’m “emotionally invested” in the series. Which reminds me think I’d got 1-3 on an old digi box, time to get my mrs into aliens.

D0NK

Watch the odd trailer maybe talk about it a little but avoid the big media push for them as you’ll always end up disappointed.

not even the trailer, it’s more and more common to see the trailer and be able to predict the entire film.

Drac

not even the trailer, it’s more and more common to see the trailer and be able to predict the entire film.

Why you’re right there’s not many films that aren’t predictable they all follow a very basic sub plot.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Charlize Theron is a pretty good actress – see e.g. Monster

Sure. Now go and watch Devil’s Advocate.

cynic-al
    Free Member

If an actor can act they can act, if they do a bad performance there are a ton of other factors.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I watched it back in Jan on you lots recommendations, whilst I watched and enjoyed it to a large degree I too found lots of plot holes and odd acting elements.
    But the overwhelming feeling to this film I had was Ridley had all the scene shots planned, the wide open scope shots and location ideas then had to put a plot around that.. Instead of the other way around
    😆

BoardinBob

Has no one mentioned the horrific Scottish actress? Her lines and delivery in it are eye wateringly bad.

When I watched it at the cinema it definitely felt like it needed a director’s cut. There seemed to be several holes that suggested scenes had been cut. The sequel appears to have stalled.

hora
    Free Member

One bit I didn’t like- They manage to bring down the blokes space ship. So why didn’t he jump in one of his other space ships? Why did he instead go after just ONE person- her to get her?

That is one bit I had an issue with.

Drac

He was a bit pissed off.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I liked it. It’s not perfect, but there’s enough good stuff to be worth watching imo.

There’s some missing scenes on the extras dvd (possibly on youtube) that explain “strange” decisions made by some of the crew to some extent. I think it went through a lot of script changes.
    http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/22988/does-the-prometheus-blu-ray-resolve-the-film%E2%80%99s-mysteries

A bit like Interstellar. It felt like there was a better story in there that had been changed by some accountants or mass-market film execs or something to make it more marketable.

stumpy01

I love sci-films where you can suspend belief and just get on with enjoying a bit of flying through space, exploring, shooting stuff, being scared etc. but this film was absolute drivel…..it just didn’t work for me at all…..I’ve recorded it to watch again in the hope that I missed something the first time round, but even now just remembering some of the scenes is making me not want to bother….

Drac

If rumours are true the second one shows no link to the Aliens films so might explain the reset on the creatures in Prometheus.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

They are letting him make another one?

allthepies
    Free Member

Yup, money talks.

Prometheus stats
    Budget $120–130 million
    Box office $403.4 million

kimbers

theres an early script onlione somewhere, (Bloodydisgusting I think) it shows all the changes that Damon Lindeloff shoehorned in, basically adding a lot of pseudo mystical religious stuff onto noomi rapaces character as well as removing a direct link to the LV426 in the first film

still doesnt explain some of the silly actions of some of the characters

I think it really grates becasue this film in concept is far more like Alien than any of the sequels and the actions and reactions of the (brilliant) cast in the original were all entirely believable, this film, really didnt have that

Drac

I can’t stand Mark Kermode. 😀

bigrich

Ridley Scotts middle name is Diddley.

chewkw
    Free Member

I like it but I think I was also watch Wellington’s history at the same time … 😆

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I can’t stand Mark Kermode.

Nonetheless, he’s a recognised expert in his field and in this program he explores the reason films get financed as they do nowadays.

loddrik
    Free Member

It’s not Alien, get over it. If that’s what people are desperate for then Neill Blonkamp is now making the sequel to Aliens that people are craving. I can’t wait for Prometheus 2. Plus Blonkamps Aliens obviously.

WackoAK
    Free Member

I went downhill for me early on when they mention the height of a mountain in feet..

Drac

I went downhill for me early on when they mention the height of a mountain in feet..

The way it should be. Well done Ridley.

Nonetheless, he’s a recognised expert in his field and in this program he explores the reason films get financed as they do nowadays.

That’s nice for him.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

What the hell is wrong with you Drac!?

You’re being a total tool ATM.

Drac

Ermm! I expressed I don’t like the guy that’s all but thanks for your concern.

verses

Whhyyyyyyyyyy
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x1YuvUQFJ0[/video]

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I was posting something related to the conversation for the possible interest of others on the forum, and you’re just being flippant.

It’s not going to help is it?

Part of the controversy about this film is to do with its “quality” and the ratings vs the income it made.

Hence me thinking to post that link so people who are interested in that may find the programme and if they wish listen to an expert on the subject interview and discuss with people actually involved in film.

Seriously, I only contribute to threads in the spirit of discussion and learning on the subject at hand. As far as i know that’s the point of a forum.

If you’re going to continue to put me down and take the piss I’m going to be put off being here, and I don’t think I’ll be alone in that opinion.

It feels like you’re not valuing the community members when you do that.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ohh so it’s good to hear another film is in the offing, I will cross my fingers for a decent plot and expect a few new camera methods in keeping with Ridleys ethos.

bigrich

I think the problem is CGI and huge budgets mean they need to be less creative and can do less with more.

alien/aliens were small and claustrophobic because they couldn’t get lost in an endless tunnel system

this is why the new star wars has gone back to physical props and matte paintings to differentiate it from the flabby cgi jazzfest of the prequels.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 111 total)

The topic ‘Prometheus just starting’ is closed to new replies.