• This topic has 34 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by apj.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Product not as described – where do I stand?
  • PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

Hi,

I’ve just purchased a new fridge online from currys and had it delivered today. It said online that it was 126 litres but it the pack that came with it, it says 115 litres. I still want to keep the fridge but would like some money back to compensate for the difference. what are my rights as far as this is concerned? I don’t just want to give it back for a full refund as I’ll just be back where I started and I can live with it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

ricky1
    Free Member

Just msg them and ask what you just suggested,iff the don’t just open an item not as described case,they will/should offer you as solution,good luck.

This is guesswork, so based on nothing but my assumptions.

Obviously you can have a refund/replacement under DSR, but I’d guess they will just shrug and say misprint/spec change as probably covered in their T&C’s – on that basis, you’d be lucky to get cash off the rrp.

Good luck though

johndoh
    Free Member

Yeah, we bought a washing machine from them (significantly different than advertised). As my wife bought it but I fitted (and tested it before she saw it installed) they attempted to claim it was deemed accepted.

It took a very long argument with them to return and refund it.

It took several months for the incorrect spec. on their website to be changed.

ricky1
    Free Member

Curry’s also have this problem in store come to think of it,a few years back I went to buy a camera in store,when I hot home I realised it was different to what it said on the shelf description label so I took it back and told them the description was wrong and the manager acknowledged this but a few weeks later I went back in to the same store but they had not changed the description,are they allowed to do this?

wordnumb
    Free Member

What would you expect from a shop called Currys that does not sell spicy food of Indian or Asian origin?

Cougar

DSR aside, it’s in breach of the SoGA. Goods have to be “as described.” If they’re not, you’re entitled to a replacement / refund. As you don’t want either of these things, you’re basically at the whim of the store to do something for you out of goodwill. Or, not.

andyrm
    Free Member

Have you noticed any inconvenience as a result of the “missing” 11 litres (less than a small backpack capacity for perspective)? If no, then just accept it as one of those things. It’s just a publishing error. If you aren’t inconvenienced by the tiny difference, don’t waste time, energy and emotion on something pointless.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Does it keep stuff cold?
    Can you get all the pies in it?
    Is your life really so devoid of any meaning you feel compelled to waste it on trivial bs like this?
    I really don’t care where this is going any more.
    All I can think about is pies now.And I’m on a diet.
    Happy now?

andyl
    Free Member

sometimes they give gross and net volume.

The retailer either lists the gross to knowingly make it look bigger or the people doing the website specs don’t understand the difference.

Although 11 litres seems too much of a difference.

If you like the fridge and don’t have anything that is exactly 126L to fit in then I would say forget it. Oh and always check the manufacturer specs and don’t trust retailer ones.

letmetalktomark

From my white goods selling days ….

Some manufacturers quote gross and net capacities … Maybe something to do with that?

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Everyone wants compensation these days, keep it or send it back, why spend ages sending emails or making calls to ponce a couple of quid.

Same as buying something from a shop and then taking it back wanting a refund because you changed your mind. Small retailer might have already spent that money on a luxury item like food or energy costs

devash
    Free Member

Currys – gives you the squits the next day.

PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

The gross is 130 and the net is 126 so it’s not that. It being that size is not really a problem I will be able to fit in everything that I want to. It’s more a matter of principal. I’m not usually argumentative but I can’t help but feel slightly conned even if it is a very minor case.

wiggles
    Free Member

Just post them a turd in a jiffy bag if it’s not about money. Should redress the balance on grounds of principal.

iolo
    Free Member

Is it the model you ordered? If it is send it back.
    Get a bigger one elsewhere.

cynic-al
    Free Member

So you’ve not actually lost out but want compo?

Or you want to see them punished?

nealglover
    Free Member

Everyone wants compensation these days

Absolutely right, I hate the way everyone wants compensation.

Just send it back, or keep it ?

It’s more a matter of principal.

It had to be really.

So there’s nothing wrong with the fridge, it works fine, you can fit everything in it, and it keeps stuff cold.

What exactly do you want compensation for ?

Matt24k
    Free Member

I am sure there are several ways to calculate the internal volume of a fridge so I really don’t see your point. You either want the fridge you bought or you don’t and you can have a full refund.
    Oh hang on, now I see your problem. The “missing” 11 litres is the space you need to keep your cake and eat it 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

We compared fridges in store based on what they were like and the capacity, trying to get best value for money based on the capacity and layout. If we had chosen one that was listed as bigger but turned up smaller I’d be sending it back.

If people here had ordered 11-36 cassettes and got 11-32 there would be flaming pitch forks everywhere but it’s only 4 teeth and it still goes round and makes the bike move.

nealglover
    Free Member

If people here had ordered 11-36 cassettes and got 11-32 there would be flaming pitch forks everywhere but it’s only 4 teeth and it still goes round and makes the bike move.

Not quite no.

They would send them back for a full refund.

They wouldn’t be asking for “compensation”

nickjb
    Free Member

You might get compensation for the financial financial loss. That would be £0. Refund, replace or live with it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

have you actually measured the volume ?

perhaps its the litriture that came with the fridge thats wrong and the online volumes were the corrected larger volumes that the manufacturer supplied after the fridge was made/shipped to the shop.

bigyinn
    Free Member

What do you want them to compensate you for exactly?
    You’ve undermined your argument significantly if you’re still going to take it regardless.

theotherjonv

The only way you’ll know for sure is to fill it up with water. If you then switch it on, you’ll end up with a giant ice cube (of somewhere between 115 and 126 litres, tbd), that you can then carve into the form of an upturned extended middle finger, that you can then photograph and post on social media.

That’ll show them.

shermer75
    Free Member

Is their another model available that’s only 115litres? Maybe they have sent you the wrong one

sandwicheater

wiggles has your answer, matter closed.

stevepitch
    Free Member

This place gets better and better each time I come on here!

Only on stw would someone expect compensation for something they’re going to use as intended! Send it back and order from else where if you feel that annoyed about it.

DezB
    Free Member

I think this thread quite clearly and concisely shows: Ask Currys, not STW.

gogg
    Free Member

I’ve been caused distress by your post, as nowhere do you ask about locations in which to stand. I interpreted it to be a question about geographical location. It was misleading.

Where do I claim my £5?

scotroutes

Is it possible that one figure includes the ice/freezer box and one doesn’t?

geoffj

Compensation isn’t the correct term IMHO.
    If indeed you have been sent the wrong model – check scotroutes suggestion abpbe, then you need to find the price of the 115 fridge and subtract that number from the price of the 126 fridge you paid for. You can then ask for that amount to be refunded (partial refund is a more accurate term).

If you can’t find the price of the 115 fridge, or it’s greater than the 126 model you’ve got then you may be stuffed.

Good luck.

FuzzyWuzzy

If you’re lucky you’d probably get a £5 gift voucher out of it, is it really worth your time raising the issue for that?

jfletch
    Free Member

It’s more a matter of principal.

Return it then, and buy it from somewhere else. That will learn them.

(you will end up with the same fridge though so it’s a lot of effort just to stick two fingers up to a company that won’t even notice)

apj
    Free Member

Is the difference not down to the change in temp when you turn it on? i.e. when it’s on it holds 115 litres of cold air. You open it, take that air out, it warms up to room temp at which point it is 126 litres no?

Or are the missing 11 litres what you can fit in the door?

Personally I’d measure it and do my own calcs, you don’t want to sue for compensation based on 11 litres if they’ve actually conned you out of 12.

😉

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Product not as described – where do I stand?’ is closed to new replies.