Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Probably a numpty question … What tyres would fit a specialized tricross?
  • Sue_W
    Free Member

Sorry if this a stupid question, but I want to change the tyres on my tricross to something lighter, faster and more puncture resistant. Currently got 32c (specialized borough) tyres and want to swap them for 25c ultra gatorskins.

Is that ok to do, or would the current wheels on the tricross only fit wider tyres? I think the wheels are the standard ones that originally came with the bike (alexrims ace-19). Don’t really want to have to replace the wheels unless I have to – but would it be best to get new wheels if I’m using much thinner tyres?

Cheers!

mboy
    Free Member

Don’t know how wide the rims are compared to normal road rims, but if they are a little wider you might have to fit slightly wider tyres.

Woman in our local road club rides a Tricross on road though, standard except for I think she’s got 28c tyres on it.

aP
    Free Member

I assume that the wheels are ordinary road wheels. If so then just buy some 23 or 25 tires.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

25c tyres will be fine

Onzadog
    Free Member

Mine had Alex 19 rims on it. 19mm rims generally means 28 is as narrow as you can go. However, I’m sure people will tell you they’ve run narrower, I’m just passing on the theory.
    Hth.

fishboy
    Free Member

Mine is a 2007 year one I think, just checked and it has Alex Ace 19 rims. Think Onzadog is right about the 28mm minimum tyre size as the Ultra Gators I have are steel beaded 28c jobs.

No info on the Alex website but check here http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html – there’s a table near the bottom with green and red boxes for each tyre and rim combination. 28 seems to be the minimum recommended.

But, the 28c UG’s roll WAY faster than the Boroughs! The Tricross is never going to be mega fast but my 28c’s are a big improvement on-road and just that little bit more comfortable too. You’re unlikely to be disappointed! I have 23c UG’s on my “proper” road bike but the tricross gets more use..

Sue_W
    Free Member

Thanks guys! Looks as though I’ll need some 28c one’s instead.

mattsccm
    Free Member

25’s are fine on my SS Tricross. Must admit to never having any issues with the 23’s.

Sue_W
    Free Member

mmm … have just checked the Acerims website and it gives an ERTRA for the ace-19 as 622 x 17. Based on the Sheldon Brown table (thanks for the link!), then the ’17’ would mean that the smallest tyre width would be 25c.

Think I’ll give the 25c gatorskins a go … and this is the most ‘bike nerdy’ coversation I’ve ever had!

Cheers chaps 🙂

BadlyWiredDog

The 25 Gatorskins are quite small for 25s, you might find you get a nicer ride from the 28s anyway, a bit more cushioned. Sorry, more confusion. I thought the Boroughs were okay anyway, if you pumped them up to serious levels, but it’s all relative I guess.

Gatorskins aren’t that fast, if you want something quicker, the GP4000S in a 25 will be way faster and a lot grippier too. Gatorskins make a horrible sort of squelching noise. Anwyay…

aP
    Free Member

Judging by that Sheldon table all my Campag road wheels won’t accept 23mm tires. What crap.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

i’ve run everything from 23mm road tyres to monster 32mm Schwalbe ultra marathons on those alex 19mm rims with no problems on my tricross

Stumpy_Bob
    Free Member

Currently running 25mm Specialzed All Conditions on my TriCross and happy enough with them.

duppy
    Free Member

Ive got the same dilemma, Specialized customer services say 28 max on the Alex ace 19 rims. My local mechanic says the same but i want to go for speed as the 32 Borough tyres are slow and puncture prone… Anyone alse succesful with 25s ?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Probably a numpty question … What tyres would fit a specialized tricross?’ is closed to new replies.