• This topic has 83 replies, 67 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by dazh.
Viewing 4 posts - 81 through 84 (of 84 total)
  • Private sector salary increase expectations
  • johnhe

I got 2.8%. My first pay rise in 4 years.

I will also be responsible for negotiating pay rises for my staff in the next couple of months. As GM, the health of the business is my responsibility. And as someone else has already said, I’m really worried about 10% payrises, because that 10% becomes baked in as the new starting point. That will mean higher operating costs for every year from now on. I expect this may well lead eventually to the need for belt-tightening if/when business slows down.

But in our small company, if we lost valuable staff, it would completely kill us. So I expect to be pushed hard for a lot more than 5-6%.

Édit: We did pay a mid year bonus reçently for the first time – which I figure was like a « cost of living subsidy » to help our people until pay rise time of year. But while everyone likes an unexpected bonus, people much, much prefer a salary increase.

stumpyjon

TJ that’s not just limited to the NHS. The big difference between private and public sector is private cannot continue without enough knowledgeable staff, ultimately they go bust, in the public sector reduction in workforce just means a reduction in service provision which is bad for the users but ultimately isn’t a threat to the continued existence of the organisation.

No idea what we will get this year, we’ve had recruitment and retention issues. Personally I’m paid well enough and it’s a good place to work, we need to be paying more for better people lower down the organisation.

kilo

in the public sector reduction in workforce just means a reduction in service provision which is bad for the users but ultimately isn’t a threat to the continued existence of the organisation.

until poor service provision becomes a “reason” to sub-contract / completely sell off to the private sector

dazh

I got 8% this year, although a chunk of that was an adjustment due to me being underpaid. I’ll be very happy with something similar next year. Anything below 5% will have me thinking about moving (tech sector so plenty of jobs out there) but realistically after 16 years at the same place that’s unlikely so will probably just suck it up if it’s low. TBH I’d rather whatever budget is available was weighted towards the younger employees as they need it more.

Viewing 4 posts - 81 through 84 (of 84 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.