Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • Presta Valves – due for a redesign?
  • ichabod
    Free Member

The humble valve is one thing which somehow seems to have escaped being updated which I find odd. Has there been an alternative design other than schrader? I guess it should be possible to do while still using the same pump? Gripes I’ve found:

– For some insane reason valve cores unscrew in same direction as the tip leading to accidental total releases of air.
    – They are delicate and get clogged easily.
    – Its easy to jam the tip screw and end up requiring pliers to undo them which most people don’t carry on the trail.
    – They are narrow and restrict airflow making it harder to pump than necessary.

There has to be a better way!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Schrader? and before anyone says high pressure take a look at your shocks

IHN

– For some insane reason valve cores unscrew in same direction as the tip leading to accidental total releases of air.

Nope, never

Nope, never

– Its easy to jam the tip screw and end up requiring pliers to undo them which most people don’t carry on the trail.

Nope, never

Marginal at best

scotroutes

This thread is proof that some folk should never attempt bicycle maintenance.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Had them unscrew when used tubeless and gunked up
    Had them clog when used tubeless
    Bent the tip on quite a few

ichabod
    Free Member

I’m thinking more of a redesign of the valve core itself.. far too many presta drilled rims out there to go back to Schrader. Could be another great way for the industry to force us to buy new wheels again 😉 I guess now rims are so much wider there is plenty of space for Schrader drilling

vickypea
    Free Member

I had a pump that sheared off the valve every time I used it 😀

ichabod
    Free Member

This thread is proof that some folk should never attempt bicycle maintenance.

Strange response.. guess you don’t run tubeless?

whitestone
    Free Member

Removable cores and Lezyne pumps = AAAAAAAAGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!

Esme
    Free Member

“Has there been an alternative design other than schrader?”
    Woods valve

scotroutes

guess you don’t run tubeless?

Guess again?

Once bitten

daern
    Free Member

I’ve had them get gummed up (with latex), but never to the point that they clog completely. I’ve also bent the ends a few times (absolutely no idea how!) and have also unscrewed the valve core by mistake on the trail.

That said, I still prefer them to Schrader valves and they’re not top of my list of things that need a new standard…

ichabod
    Free Member

Yep had that happen to me yesterday with my new Lezyne – the straw that broke the camels back hence this thread!

whitestone
    Free Member

My Lezyne pumps headed to the bin. Now use Topeak which have the lever action clamp. This is for both road and MTB.

ransos
    Free Member

It doesn’t happen if you remember to tighten the core up fully with pliers or the proper tool. But some manufacturers (Continental, I’m looking at you) supply tubes with the cores fairly loose.

NormalMan

I have one of those valve core tools (only £1 from Wiggle) in my kit for those ‘just in case’ moments if a pump unscrewed a valve core or something similar. Only ever had to use it once on the trail but it was worth having IME.

downhillfast
    Free Member

Unscrewed the presta valve caps yesterday to pump up the tyres, bloody valve core unscrewed as well, lost all air out the tyres.
    Managed to separate valve cap from valve core, sprayed a bit of GT85 on the threads and reassembled. Hopefully that might stop the two sticking together.

For years I ran Schrader valves as i found them easier in use (can use a car tyre inflate or garage tyre pump :-)).

Since going tubeless I’ve (ha??) To use Presta.

unklehomered
    Free Member

No.

Yes all those things happen to me, but if the bike industry redesigns them they won’t work with existing pump, they will take special shimano tire jelly not air, and for some inexplicable reason necessitate the buying of a whole new bike.

ichabod
    Free Member

Never thought to carry a valve core tool – a spare core would also make sense

miketually
    Free Member

some manufacturers (Continental, I’m looking at you) supply tubes with the cores fairly loose

Thinking about it, I think the only time I’ve ever unscrewed a valve accidentally was on a Conti tube, while using a wide WTB dust cap.

onandon
    Free Member

Yep had that happen to me yesterday with my new Lezyne – the straw that broke the camels back hence this

That’s more a design issue with the shitty lezyne pumps.

martinhutch

The moment when you absent mindedly think you’re unscrewing the tip, unscrew the whole thing, which is then jetted out of your fingers across the car park…

chakaping
    Free Member

Of course they’re not perfect and the valve stems can get bent or the core unscrew – but they’re not going to change any time soon. If anything they’ve got more dominant over the last decade.

I read a good opinion piece on one of the US bike sites, with the author pointing out all the flaws but quoting some industry guy saying that roadies would want to keep them for the “prestige” image.

😆

daern
    Free Member

I have one of these in my bike tool bag:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-valve-core-remover/
    I don’t bother carrying a spare valve core as I have one by default in the spare tube, but the tool has come in useful before now.

NormalMan

^ yes that’s the one I have too.

Speeder

IHN – Member
    Nope, never

Nope, never

Nope, never

Marginal at best

A typical STW response. 🙄

I’ve bent the stupid little threaded bit and even broken one off on one occasion when using a mini pump on the trail. Hate the stupid fiddly little things with a passion but they do seem to be the default with most rim manufacturers. Alienation BMX are at least enlightened with their rims being drilled for both and supplied with a couple of bungs to plug the gap Alienation Mischief

Schrader are better in almost every functional way but they’re a fraction heavier and require a bigger hole in the rim which is I suppose why most rim manufacturers shy away from them. I’m not ghetto drilling out my rims to fit them even though it pains me every time I have to go near the damn stupid roadie hangovers.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

IHN – really?

My experience is –

Bent the tip on loads over the years to the extent all my trail/pocket pumps now have a hose.

Always remove the cores to set up new tyres tubeless with an Airshot. Rarely works if I don’t

pictonroad

After buying a bike with Stans rims supplied with Schrader tubeless valves with removable cores I can confirm there really isn’t ANY advantage to using presta.

They’re just better, none of the negatives outlined above apply. The only point to Presta is to fit the hole in a narrow rim. Now we’re all on 30mm rims can they please be consigned to history.

Marko

Since going tubeless I’ve (ha??) To use Presta

Joe’s No flats do a schraeder option. Works fine.

Presta is some weird hangover from the roadie world of narrow rims. Bin the hateful things!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

HN – really?

My experience is –

Bent the tip on loads over the years to the extent all my trail/pocket pumps now have a hose.

Always remove the cores to set up new tyres tubeless with an Airshot. Rarely works if I don’t

Spot on.

Though, we are in the presence of bike maintenance gods.

ichabod
    Free Member

Glad I’m not alone in my hatred of presta valves! It seems odd that almost all old standards from road bike days have been updated, often with only marginal gains, but that valves have escaped the treatment. They feel like an irritating relic from 50 years ago that has somehow snuck into the modern MTB.

ransos
    Free Member

Presta is some weird hangover from the roadie world of narrow rims.

And the rims on my newish road bike are the same width as my oldish mtb…

hols2
    Free Member

Simple thing to do would be to use a presta stem with a screw on adapter with a Schraeder core, plus a good quality cap capable of sealing the pressure if the valve core leaks.

scotroutes

Nobberinthefridge – Member

we are in the presence of bike maintenance gods.Wizards!! FFS can you not get anything right?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Wizards

You’re certainly old enough…. :mrgreen:

FWIW, I don’t ‘hate’ them, I’ll continue to use them unless something better comes along, but they are not without issue, especially tubeless.

dragon
    Free Member

It’s Conti tubes that are the issue. Cheapo Wiggle own brand are fine.

Funny how this problem never raises itself in any review of a Lezyne pump in any magazine, anyone would think it’s some kind of conspiracy.

OP you could always move over to woods/dunlop valves.

rocketman
    Free Member

Never had a problem with them but I remember watching matey inflating a tyre one day and

valve cores unscrew in same direction as the tip leading to accidental total releases of air

yup

They are delicate and get clogged easily

yarp

Its easy to jam the tip screw and end up requiring pliers to undo them

fortunately I had my electrical pliers with me 😉

All part of life’s rich tapestry eh

IHN

IHN – really?

Really

My experience is –

I’m still on tubes, so that may be a factor. I’ve bent the tip on a fair few over the years to be fair, but it’s never mattered, they’ve still done up enough to ‘lock’.

PJM1974
    Free Member

To be fair, any type of tubeless valve can be susceptible to the locking loosening which means that your ride ends as loads of sealant comes jazzing out of the valve hole.

I find that the valve ends of Presta valves are easily bent and damaged, so I carry spare valve cores in my Camelbak along with a small plastic tool to unscrew and replace.

I suspect that like many of you, I have been known to take a Black & Decker to my brand new rims so that they will take a schraeder valve though.

ocrider

Never thought to carry a valve core tool – a spare core would also make sense

After having to reinflate a bent one in the middle of nowhere only to have it snap off thanks to the combination of my ham-fistedness and a presta’s fragility, both of these items live in my pack.

Tubeless gunk blocking the airway is quickly remedied, but more of a preride problem ime

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Presta Valves – due for a redesign?’ is closed to new replies.