Viewing 28 posts - 81 through 108 (of 108 total)
  • Predictions for the coming football season..?
  • Tom-B
    Free Member

I don’t have kids either mate…..my wife can’t stand bad language though!! I’ve never been to see boxing (really not my thing) or greyhounds. I’ve been to a fair few horse racing meets, massive mixes of social groups there, from people whom have gambling issues through to the bloke in front of me who won £10,000 on one race at Wolverhampton last Novemeber (made my £5.60 seem rather in significant!) There was certainly a more testosterone fueled feel that night, including a few blokes getting chucked out for fighting….

aracer
    Free Member

Is that a problem then aracer?

It is if the sort of thing Tom B mentions bothers you – which is exactly what I was referring to when I originally mentioned “better atmosphere”. I accept you might get more passion in the places you mention, but it’s a shame such passion overflows into such hate.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

1)Mboy
    2)aracer
    3)The Don
    4)Flashy

Nice try, and certainly a point for quantity, but a lack of cliche ridden drivel keeps self righteous pomposity in second place. However, close enough to top spot that a comparison of, oh let’s say, spur of the moment diving to gain an advantage with, oh, let me think, planned planting of blood capsules would guarantee a lead.

Still, good to see a thread on a subject you have no interest in keeps you so amused.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’m going to pull out of the tackle to stop your quest for top spot.

I have a feeling a new entrant is about to join the league…

scuzz
    Free Member

Football matches. Bit too much of a sausage fest for me.
    😉

aracer
    Free Member

It’s interesting that he ignores the accusations.

Who’s he, and what accusations?

BTW am I winning yet?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

ohh 2 posts in 4 minutes, the boy’s going for the title

1)aracer
    2)Mboy
    3)The Don
    4)Flashy

EDIT oh no, 3 posts in 5 minutes, you’ve got to ask, just how little of a life does the boy have?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

It’s interesting that he ignores the accusations.

The elfin accusations.

Tom-B
    Free Member

I mean more is it a problem that people have different perceptions of ‘better’?

Perhaps its an issue if you aren’t a footy regular but fork out £30 quid and then have your evening spoiled by racist foul mouthed louts? This happened to me at possibly the last Stoke match that I will ever attend.

I was chatting for about a hour to the majority of the 30 Valencia fans that made the trip to sunny stoke in the pub before the game earlier this year. As soon as they entered the stadium people chanted ‘Greasy Barstewards’ at them…

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

tsy/yosser

give him his due he is doing well at staying away from the cutsie-pie mis-spellings that have given him away in the past – care to start a sweepie on how long he’s got left?

mikeconnor
    Free Member

EDIT oh no, 3 posts in 5 minutes, you’ve got to ask, just how little of a life does the boy have?

It’s so easy to get sucked into an interesting debate though, isn’t it!

Enough from me for now anyway. One has to step away from the keyboard now and then!

andytherocketeer

Personally I think it’s sad that people are so quick to hate something they have no involvement or interest in.

If only it was possible to completely avoid football.

^^ This, basically.

I used to just not give a hoot about footy. Then 2 flatmates, despite knowing that I couldn’t really care less, always insisted on making sure I knew about the Liverpool or Rangers match last night, and how well/badly they played, and the referees bad decisions that cost them a goal, …

No other fans do this. edit: and no others call the commercial organistion they support “we”.

So yeah I’d agree it’s sad, but I was driven from “couldn’t care less” to “loathe the sport”, by the very fans that love it so much.

Went to a match once. It was 0-0 near the end, which seemed like a well spent 90 minutes of action, so we just decided it was more important to leave before the rush and the traffic.

TerryWrist
    Free Member

It’s so easy to get sucked into an interesting debate though, isn’t it!

Enough from me for now anyway. One has to step away from the keyboard now and then!

Corr blimey its ‘im iinit guv!

Jamie
    Free Member

Love a duck…etc etc.

donsimon
    Free Member

Personally I think it’s sad that people are so quick to hate something they have no involvement or interest in.

I have a good friend who hates football, as far as the involvement goes their father was a pro who won international caps, a first division footballer lodged at their house and they were bought up surrounded by pro footballers. Quite involved I’d say, just a more informed view of the ins and outs of the professional game than most.
    Hating something you’re not interested in? Sounds perfectly normal to me.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

just thinking the same thing

I’d been thinking the very same since the CM thread…..Mike does seem very au fait, doesn’t he?

Oh, damn. I’ve posted on a soccer thread. Sorry, everyone! 😉

loum
    Free Member

I’m Spartacus

KonaTC

Plenty of hand bags at dawn, BAFTAs for comedy falls or non-trips, bullying of match officials and not much sport.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Back on topic….

No love for Newcastle this season?

Another stealthy transfer window and hopefully we can keep it going.

As for atmosphere St James Park top quality, not too bad on the language (you southerners wouldn’t understand anyway). and some good football to go with it.

I enjoy sport and I respect it. Each to their own really. If you don’t like it go start a thread about helmets or something

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

WunUndred 😀

Jamie
    Free Member

Plenty of hand bags at dawn, BAFTAs for comedy falls or non-trips, bullying of match officials and not much sport.

I predict repetition.

kennyp
    Free Member

Personally I think it’s sad that people are so quick to hate something they have no involvement or interest in

I don’t hate football in general. I play 5-a-sides every week and once or twice a year go along to watch my old hometown team (lower levels of Scottish footie).

What I hate is what top level football has become. The diving, cheating, swearing, bullying of referees and the inability to accept that sometimes referees do make mistakes and no, they don’t have a vendetta against one particular team. And then there’s the fact that these days it’s pretty much Liverpool Ltd vs Celtic PLC where the share price is more important than the result.

And yes, we could just ignore threads like these, and indeed ignore football in general, if it wasn’t for the fact the media is utterly obsessed with it. In Scotland the national news channel is rarely more than two or three minutes into its evening news bulletin before it cuts to something of national importance like some moronic overpaid yob saying “Yeah, well like we could you know like still win the league”

Garry_Lager

No love for Newcastle this season?

Another stealthy transfer window and hopefully we can keep it going.

As for atmosphere St James Park top quality, not too bad on the language (you southerners wouldn’t understand anyway). and some good football to go with it.

I enjoy sport and I respect it. Each to their own really. If you don’t like it go start a thread about helmets or something I’d say it was delicately poised for Newcastle due to the Pardew phenomenon. By far the biggest bluffer in premiership football IMHO. He’s the poster boy for the idea that the manager doesn’t really matter a great deal, it’s 99% down to the players. Someone like Ferguson, say, would represent the opposite point of view.
    Still, they found a way to ignore him and win games last season so a strong season wouldn’t surprise me. Neither would a poor one.

loum
    Free Member

This thread started a bit early for me, with the Olympics still the most important sports. But, over now so here’s my 2p.

Top two to be the same two as last year. Don’t know who’ll win it but I reckon City will find it harder, and Manu will be a lot stronger. IMO, they were v lucky to get the number of points they did last year, but with Vidic back, Kagawa or Cleverly in the mid, and Van Persie!!!!! they are loads stronger right through the middle. Probably be manu ahead at January, so expect City to buy Messi (with Barca struggling under the new guy) and/or Ronaldo to come back stronger in the second half.

Next two to be Liverpool and Chelsea. Liverpool to shock everyone and get off to a flyer with better match fitness due to their euro games. Suarez to hit the post a dozen times at least, but Borini to put a few of the rebounds in this year. Downing to remember how to play. Chelsea to come good later once Oscar, Hazard and Marin settle. And once they by a decent def mid and a new CB.

Newcastle, Everton, Arsenal and Villa to be up there fighting for the next spots. Villa to surprise everyone by playing great footie and scoring loads.

Tottenham to drop about a dozen places, but stay up eventually.

Portsmouth for the FA Cup (again). 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

I predict lots of complaining about football on STW.

loum
    Free Member

You’re right there. But I thought I’d try and sneak this in on here while they’ve got another couple of threads to keep them busy. 😉

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Liverpool top four this year, Rogers is a very educated man in football terms, Lucas is like a new signing giving Stevie G llicense to roam, Borini will be A very astute signing and a few of the youth players are ready to come of age,the futures bright the futures Liverpool!!!!!
    Man city
    Liverpool
    Chelsea
    Arsenal
    Man United

rudebwoy
    Free Member

you are deluded if you think Liverpool will finish 2nd, top 6 at most

Viewing 28 posts - 81 through 108 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘Predictions for the coming football season..?’ is closed to new replies.