Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 108 total)
  • Predictions for the coming football season..?
  • mboy
    Free Member

I couldn’t give a toss about the Olympics really, I get far more pleasure from seeing Liverpool win a game than watch a load of sports I have no interest in.

REALLY 😕

You are aware that so far GB have won 8 Gold medals, a couple of silvers and a couple of bronzes too in CYCLING right? (This is a cycling forum too just in case you were confused)

I find it very odd that you don’t associate well with a load of amateurs from your own nation, working their hearts out at their respective sports, often struggling to get the funding they need to compete at the level they want to, but you associate well with a bunch of foreigners on £20k plus per week to kick a ball around… The mind boggles, it really does!

Out of interest, why do you support Liverpool? I ask cos, Steven Gerrard aside, Liverpool FC might as well be in London, or Madrid, or Milan, or anywhere else for that matter. There is no sense of identification, no sense of pride, of grass roots, of ownership etc. in just paying a load of money to anyone who will live in driving distance of Merseyside, to come and play for them. The same of course goes for every other premiership football club pretty much.

The Olympics currently show off everything that is going right in British sport right now. We’re a small island nation, but my god we’re punching above our weight! The Football Premiership highlights everything wrong in British sport right now, as for the most part, it’s not even British! How can we have a good national team if there is no grass roots any more, and some of our international team don’t even have regular starting positions in their clubs!

Bring back the 3 foreign player per squad rule, bring in wage caps, penalise blatant diving more severely and get rid of the aspirational lifestyle and Football may gain some respect again… As it is, I don’t even care that last years premiership was decided on the last kick of the last game, cos when it has as little relevance to me as it does currently, the premiership is a total waste of time.

As for the argument about the men’s game being slower paced cos the skills are higher… Easy to say that, much harder to prove. What I as a spectator notice is MUCH more creativity, attacking skill and flair, effort and desire in the women’s game than the mens, which makes it a better watch. The England Women’s keeper is also a damned sight better than the England men’s keeper (Joe Hart?)…

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I like football threads. They let you know who the dickheads are on here.

1) Man U
    2) Man C
    3) Arsenal
    4) Spurs
    5) Chelsea

muggomagic

I’ve loved the olympics, and I’m looking forward to the football season. If you focus on the negative aspect of any sport it can all seem a little pointless.
    I don’t see much difference to a footballer diving to get a freekick/penalty to say an Olympic cyclist deliberately hitting the deck to get a restart because he messed it up.

mikeconnor
    Free Member

The Football Premiership highlights everything wrong in British sport right now, as for the most part, it’s not even British!

Or, you could see it as ‘the English Premier League is perhaps the most ethnically and culturally diverse in the World, with players representing many nations and cultures’. And something we could be proud of, as we are when celebrating the diversity and inclusiveness of the Olympics.

i don’t get football bashing. People who don’t like the game choose to highlight negative aspects of how it’s run and the behaviour of some players, yet ignore many of the positive aspects, such as charity projects founded and supported by many players, for example the Didier Drogba Foundation: http://www.thedidierdrogbafoundation.com/ or the Steven Gerrard Foundation: http://www.stevengerrardfoundation.org/ as well as countless others.

Football reaches more people than any other sport on the planet. Which is why it is loved by so many.

But carry on being miserable and hating something, if it makes you feel better about yourself.

muggomagic

Oh and I almost forgot.

1, Wolves
    2,Bolton
    3, Brighton
    4, Birmingham
    5, Forest
    6, Cardiff

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Dear God, and I know I didn’t have to click on the thread title,

yet you did – ooooh ooooh oooh look how cool i am i don’t like football and here’s another chance to tell people, ooooh oh and other monkey spanking sounds

I like football threads. They let you know who the dickheads are on here.

1) Man U
    2) Man C
    3) Arsenal
    4) Spurs
    5) Chelsea
    Is that your league predictions or dickhead quotients?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Is that your league predictions or dickhead quotients?

I’d say quotients given the lack of any scouse supported team there. 🙂

WackoAK
    Free Member

Inspire a generation..

grum
    Free Member

All that logo is lacking is comic Sans

You forgot about drop shadow and emboss. 😉

I used to love football, it’s ridiculously overhyped/overblown these days. I also don’t like the weird thing where blokes are expected to know/care about it and seen as a bit odd if they don’t.

freddyg
    Free Member

Do you really spend the brief time off that we have wondering what will happen this upcoming season?

Yes.

To some of us, it is very important. To others, it isn’t. Mleh 🙄

And:

Man C
    Man U
    Spurs
    Arsenal
    Chelsea
    SAFC somewhere in the upper middle (I hope)

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’m thinking of setting up a ‘Dickhead League’ to track the number of times Forumites who aren’t interested in football come on to a football thread to tell us they don’t care…

What are your predictions?

donsimon
    Free Member

I’m thinking of setting up a ‘Dickhead League’ to track the number of times Forumites who aren’t interested in football come on to a football thread to tell us they don’t care…

Whatever… 😐

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

^^ ..and the new season is off to a flyer with too cool for school favourite seizing the opportunity to take an early lead

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Inspire a generation..

quite

aracer
    Free Member

i don’t get football bashing. People who don’t like the game choose to highlight negative aspects of how it’s run and the behaviour of some players, yet ignore many of the positive aspects, such as charity projects founded and supported by many players, for example the Didier Drogba Foundation

You don’t understand why people might be motivated to bash? I suppose as a supporter it’s easy to miss how those of us not really interested get bombarded with football, football, football at the expense of other more interesting sports which have far better role models and better atmospheres both on the arena and amongst the spectators. Of course the bashers have to put in so much effort to find negative things to comment about. Very impressive that Drogba foundation though – claims to have raised £1m in 5 years. That’s about 20% of his annual salary isn’t it?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

struggling to get the funding they need to compete at the level they want to,

if people cared enough about beach volleyball and synchronised diving to pay to go and watch it every week (like they do with football) rather than get their knickers in a twist once every 4 years, then they wouldn’t be struggling amateurs, would they?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Meh.

mikeconnor
    Free Member

I suppose as a supporter it’s easy to miss how those of us not really interested get bombarded with football, football, football at the expense of other more interesting sports which have far better role models and better atmospheres both on the arena and amongst the spectators

You’ve obviously never been to somewhere like Wembley, Old Trafford, Anfield, the Nou Camp or Griffin Park if you think you can get much better atmospheres at other sports. And cycle racers over the decades have been such great role models, what with their squeaky clean lifestyles and 100% sportsmanship and honesty.

As for ‘interesting’ that’s purely subjective. I can be rivetted for 90 minutes or more for a football match, yet bored within 90 seconds for Tennis. I don’t have a problem with tennis though, it’s just not for me. i don’t start crying when wimbledon’s on wall to wall on the telly and in the media. I like the fact so many others love it.

That’s about 20% of his annual salary isn’t it?

What percentage of your annual salary do you give to charity? Driogba gave an entire endorsement fee of £3 million to charity. He may get paid a lot, but he gives a lot too. I suspect more lives are positively affected because of his efforts, than yours or mine.

Carry on hating though. It really makes you look good.

jimster
    Free Member

Can’t see Spurs doing that well this season, Villa-Boas did his best to get Chelski relegated.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

it’s easy to miss how those of us not really interested get bombarded with football, football, footbal

ever tried using one of these, they’re brilliant, working well for me during the McGames

aracer
    Free Member

i don’t start crying when wimbledon’s on wall to wall on the telly and in the media.

For all of 2 weeks. You poor dear.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Dont care as long as it as entertaining as last year
    Chelsea sopurs and Liverpool are the interesting ones this season

Think Chelsea will impode under the manager
    Spurs will sack AVB
    Liverpool will struggle at fiorst but satrt to se ethe team take shap in the second half
    if they give him 3 years I think he can do something but I hold little hope of him getting 3 years

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

..but with 2 posts showing he’s still lurking on the thread on the subject about which he cares so little, right on pomposity makes up for his slow start.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

..but with 2 posts showing he’s still lurking on the thread on the subject about which he cares so little, right on pomposity makes up for his slow start.

TSY – you’re onto something here

donsimon
    Free Member

Have I lost the lead yet, BBSB?

aracer
    Free Member

on the subject about which he cares so little

I thought this was a thread about being disinterested in football? Something I care about deeply.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Watching the sporting endeavours of true athletes during the olympics has made me realise how crap footballers really are. So football season = meh. Never ever thought i’d say that.

mboy
    Free Member

Dear God, and I know I didn’t have to click on the thread title,

yet you did – ooooh ooooh oooh look how cool i am i don’t like football and here’s another chance to tell people, ooooh oh and other monkey spanking sounds

Prevention is always better than cure… Just doing my bit to help keep the forum football free! 😉

As for Drogba. Fair enough, the man is (off the field) an absolute legend and I have enormous respect for him doing what he does. It’s the fact he earns something like £100k a week to dive on the floor several times a week, intermittently perhaps actually kicking a football, that I really detest. If I was offered 1/100th of what he earns, to do the thing I enjoy most (I’m assuming footballers actually enjoy their jobs here), I’d bite that persons arm off and be bloody happy about it! Why on earth have football wages been allowed to spiral as they have? It’s worse than the bankers in the city!

Oh, and as for the comment about an atmosphere at a sporting event… Been to football matches a couple of times in the past. You want atmosphere? Go to Twickenham for a Rugby International, it is something else entirely!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

1)Mboy
    2)aracer
    3)The Don
    4)Flashy

Mboy just pipping aracer on volume of posts and trotting out cliches.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

3rd post from self righteous pomposity, but for sheer volume including the predictable references to wages and the atmosphere at a rugby game (which to be fair is excellent if you want to catch up on your sleep of a saturday afternoon) couldn’t wait to post monkey spanker takes the lead in the tsy league

we maybe need a separate thread for this

EDIT damn you rubbish keyboard skillz

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’ve included Flashy because he will post at some point.

mikeconnor
    Free Member

You want atmosphere? Go to Twickenham for a Rugby International, it is something else entirely!

Really? How?

I’ve been to both Twickers and Camp Nou, so can make a direct comparison.

yossarian
    Free Member

You seem to have settled in very well elfin, sorry I mean Mike 🙂

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

it is something else entirely!

Well the cheating at twickenham certainly is

Tom-B
    Free Member

You’ve obviously never been to somewhere like Wembley, Old Trafford, Anfield, the Nou Camp or Griffin Park if you think you can get much better atmospheres at other sports.

I’ve been to Anfield once. YNWA at the start of the match was awesome…..the continual foul mouthed abuse of players/refs/etc was one of the most depressing things that I’ve endured.

The last time that I went to Twickenham I sat with my wife and my parents between a group of Ospreys fans and a group of Leicester fans. Loads of great friendly banter was had. Some one behind us said the F word once, and was told by several people to watch his language as there were kids sitting nearby. There was still a very lively and vocal atmosphere, just not abusive.

All the money in the wouldn’t wouldn’t get my wife or parents into a football match, and I can’t even begin to imagine wanting to take kids to any of the stadiums (Anfield, Ewood Park and Britannia that I’ve visited…..

mikeconnor
    Free Member

Personally I think it’s sad that people are so quick to hate something they have no involvement or interest in. As i’ve said, i’m not a fan of golf or tennis, but I appreciate that others love them, and sport is great. i’ve never been interested in cricket, but obviously millions of others are. And I dare say valid arguments can be made for badminton, chess or whatever, for ‘atmosphere’, because that’s a totally subjective experience.

I’m sure many sports have their negative sides; cycle racing certainly has. In fact it has an image tainted with cheating more than most other sports. But should we dismiss it because of that? Or enjoy the spectacle and the positive aspects?

TerryWrist
    Free Member

yossarian – Member

You seem to have settled in very well elfin, sorry I mean Mike

just thinking the same thing 🙂

mikeconnor
    Free Member

Tom B; interesting perspective. I’ve been to boxing matches where the crowd is far scarier than the fighters. Really not a place i’d want to have a disagreement with somebody. But in the context of the sport, the atmosphere is amazing. It’s impossible to explain really. And as for swearing; go to a greyhound meeting. Still a great atmosphere though. I don’t have kids so the ‘family friendly’ aspect isn’t something I’d consider, but I see your point.

aracer
    Free Member

I’ve been to Anfield once. YNWA at the start of the match was awesome…..the continual foul mouthed abuse of players/refs/etc was one of the most depressing things that I’ve endured.

Ah, but the football lovers have a different definition of “better atmosphere” than you or I do, and discount that sort of thing so long as everybody is being wonderfully passionate and tribal, in the same way they discount the antics of the players on the pitch.

As for cycling being spoiled by the drugs, I thought we were talking about the present – I’m sure there was a great atmosphere and sportsmanly conduct at football matches 50 years ago. Or would you like to explain to Wiggo et al why current footballers make better role models because of that?

Personally I think it’s sad that people are so quick to hate something they have no involvement or interest in.

If only it was possible to completely avoid football.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

It’s interesting that he ignores the accusations.

but the football lovers have a different definition of “better atmosphere” than you or I do,

Is that a problem then aracer?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘Predictions for the coming football season..?’ is closed to new replies.