Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Pre christmas nightmare —-Help—-
  • Steelsreal

Right then, tidying up a Gary Fisher mullet for a friends son for christmas. Got a new chainset and BB from chain reaction but the bike has an e type mech. I now think a std sq taper bb is wrong as the drive side flange is too thicj and therefore the axle on the non drive side does not protrude enough to get it tight.

Now put the old BB in and the new chainset will not go far enough onto the square taper. The granny ring has little tabs that foul the mech..

SO am i doomed, can i get the new chainset to fit if i find a bb and as i have a 68×113 do i increase the axle width or the bb shell to make it fit???

the chainset is one of these

chainset

josh1982
    Free Member

its xmas eve eve and your asking this now?

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Get down to your local bike shop and buy the correct BB. It'll be worth it to see his happy wee face when he gets it on Christmas day.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Not sure, prob not, but is it a 73mm bb shell? e-type bb will also be 2.5mm longer on the drive side shell cup. If your local lbs does not have an e-type bb in stock, you can bodge with a 73 and leave the non drive side cup sticking out a bit. Ugly but functional

Steelsreal

quick look at the shimano data sheets and my new chainset needs a 122 axle length not the 113 i have ggggrrrr…and yes it is xmas eve and i will be looking for a bike shop n southampton that has a e type bb 68mm shell and 122 axle…could be a fun day i promised i would spend with the family!!!!!!!!!

takisawa2

I'd 1×9 it & explain that you'll get the right BB soon as. Dont spoil tomorrow racing round worrying.

josh1982
    Free Member

Good luck……………pretty rare BB too

Steelsreal

yep, can't seem to find a bb to suit anywhere, have gone back to a cleaned up old chainset, will get a new one next week and replace it at the cable tightening "service"

racing_ralph
    Free Member

£10 plus postage from parkers of bolton

Smee
    Free Member

I'd fire a band type front mech on it and ditch the e-type.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Or for £45 buy him a deore HT2 crankset and BB – no problems 🙂

Click here

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Pre christmas nightmare —-Help—-’ is closed to new replies.