Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • PPI claims
  • mboy
    Free Member

Kinda dismissed the whole PPI claim thing as a scam a while ago. Yes I had a loan I paid PPI on years ago, but I was aware I was paying it (albeit they basically bullied me into it and it was extortionate). Turns out this is exactly the kind of mis-selling that was going on and why I’m eligible after chatting to a mate who’s a lawyer!

Anyway… The other reason I’d dismissed it as a scam was the aggressive way these companies try to get you to go with them on a “no win no fee” basis. It all just sounds too good to be true.

So a bit of research into it, and well… It’s a bit of a murky one, but seems that though they can be overly aggressive (they’re charging 30% typically if they win, which they do every time), there’s lots of them to choose from.

So ANY advice on who to use?

I’m aware I can attempt to claim PPI myself. However, I don’t have the knowledge/time/inclination to do it. I’d rather 70% of a couple of thousand quid than 100% of nothing if that makes sense! But there seems to be some horror stories out there, so is there an established pecking order for these companies?

FWIW my mate did the leg work himself, but that was in his lunch breaks at work as a lawyer. He also only ever had one Credit Card with MBNA which he was ever paying PPI on, and though he had a balance on it most of the time for a few years, it was only ever £2k max. He still got £1500 back! I had a substantial personal Loan with Egg (seemingly the company that kick started the whole PPI investigation thing off) and a credit card with them, and another credit card with Capital One too, all of which I paid PPI on at some stage or another. I’ve got no traceability of the account numbers, how much was on them etc. I’m fully solvent these days, in the black (for anybody who remembers this thread I posted a year or so ago, I’m well on the way to getting where I need to be so thanks for the help!) but if I’m owed any cash, then certainly I’d like to get my sticky mitts on it!

So yeah… Advice please… Thanks in advance!

turin
    Free Member

I was in a similar position, however after looking on martin lewis MSE it all seemed so easy. They have a free petal there that lets you register the information you have already given, that goes off to the providers of the PPI and they give you all the info you need. Fill in the forms from the PPI provider and if you are due PPI they will pay you.

From what I have read, all the PPI claims companies do is exactly that, effectively they put the form you complete (or at least give them the information to let them do that) into an envelope and post it, not sure what other function they provide.

usual caveat of course, I may well be talking poop and i may never get anything from my PPI seller 🙂

mboy
    Free Member

I was in a similar position, however after looking on martin lewis MSE it all seemed so easy.

I went on MSE too, seems easy enough, BUT… You need to know all your old account numbers and who held them etc. I have no clue of any of that, this is all going back many many years!

From what I have read, all the PPI claims companies do is exactly that, effectively they put the form you complete (or at least give them the information to let them do that) into an envelope and post it, not sure what other function they provide.

In the most basic form, pretty much yes. But they investigate where and when you had money in accounts that PPI was being paid on etc. So they do offer a service. This is my issue, I don’t know where to start with trying to claim it back myself (especially as where is Egg these days anyway?)…

FeeFoo
    Free Member

There is a link to a free PPI claim form on Which. No need to supply any documentation. The onus is on the Bank/Building Society etc to research it.
    I’ll dig it out.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

Here it is: https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/how-to-reclaim-mis-sold-ppi

Friend of mine got a nice windfall from it – £11k!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Take a look at the humungus thread already on here for how to/what to/when to..

mboy
    Free Member

Take a look at the humungus thread already on here for how to/what to/when to..

I was trying to find ANY information already on the forum… Since the “improvements” (I’ll say no more just now!!!) were made to the forum, it’s impossible to do any kind of searching!

Friend of mine got a nice windfall from it – £11k!

NICE! I’m not expecting anything like that, but anything would be nice…

Here it is

That’s the thing… This is going back a LONG time… Like 10 years or so! Egg are no longer and have been that way for some time. I don’t know who to write to or where to send it!

breadcrumb

I’ve had two successful claims. I’ve with my bank so was pretty easy.

The other with the AA/BoS. I had a rough idea of when I took it out, my address at the time and roughly how much. 6-8 weeks later a cheque landed through the post.

Just have a go yourself rather than give a ⅓ away.

jam-bo

Egg got bought by Barclaycard. I’ve been dealing with them.

mashiehood
    Free Member

I had no account info whatsoever – wrote to every bank and card providers I have ever had – just completed various forms and to date I am ….. wait for it 6k better off!

Had no idea I wasn’t paying ppi on loans and cards

honestly you don’t need any info – complete the enquiry forms, the banks will wrote back with account details they hold and whether there was PPI linked to the accounts. You write back or complete their forms on a compliant on the PPi and 4/6 weeks later you will be refunded your original premium, interest and compensation for the loss of money!

km79
    Free Member

https://www.fca.org.uk/ppi/how-to-check/search-for-provider

Go through the A-Z of providers and fill in the online checker forms for each provider you have ever had anything with.

P20

Use the resolver on MSE. Try various companies. If you didn’t use them, simply apologise. So simple you don’t need to use the ppi companies. It worked for me

cb

I need to do this for Zurich as I know they sold me some income protection cover that I didn’t want as part of my mortgage – and more importantly I  know that it would have paid out in full anyway as it would take all work related sickness benefits into account before paying me anything.  However, like you, it was a long time ago and I don’t have the paperwork…

I have also tried to claim for an Egg card that I had (to query whether it had PPI rather than demand that it did) and Barclays couldn’t have been less helpful!!  Short sentence on a letter saying “No PPI”, no details of what periods they checked or what cards.  After complaint, I then received “No PPI on the the following card numbers endingXXXX”.  Again, no info on what products these were, what dates I had thenm or whether they were Egg cards, Barclaycards or AN OTHER.

Still going thorugh complaint process but looking like FO for me.  It all seems so easy when others write about about it on here…

mboy
    Free Member

A HUGE thanks to all those who gave me advice to do it myself… I genuinely didn’t think I’d hear back so quickly from anyone, but I have already received notification that I will be getting a cheque in the post for PPI on my Egg Loan and Egg credit cards that I used to have.

A quite staggering £4800 no less!

Buy yourselves a beer and send me the bill! :-p

johndoh
    Free Member

Well I have just completed the Which online form – I had a loan many, many years ago and a Credit Card both with HSBC which I think may have had PPI added – I certainly remember being pressured to add it to my loan but cannot recollect if I took it out.

Nothing ventured etc…

chomp
    Free Member

definately worth pursuing Egg/Barclaycard.

I did my own claim with no info other than my card details and the fact that if I was given the option to choose PPI I would’ve said no.

After 45 mins work in total and 3 stamps I got a cheque for £5.5k

richardkennerley

I used the MSE/resolver service.  I had no account details,  just some vague details of who and when.  Didn’t know for sure if I even had PPI.  Got a cheque for £250, bought a new dropper post.  Took ten minutes to fill the forms out.

mboy
    Free Member

I used the MSE/resolver service. I had no account details, just some vague details of who and when. Didn’t know for sure if I even had PPI.

Exactly what I did after the advice on here…

Got a cheque for £250, bought a new dropper post. Took ten minutes to fill the forms out.

I’ll one up you there mate… Mine’s going on a house deposit! 😉

cb

Can I just ask if they provide full reports on how much PPI that you paid?  Or are some of these pay outs just in the fomr of “here’s an offer to leave us alone”?

FuzzyWuzzy

I did the resolver thing on MSE, think for 10 different queries, all came back that they had no record of me being charged PPI 🙁

tewit
    Free Member

I had 3 loans for cars from around 1999 onwards, and I was pressured into having PPI. I don’t have a great deal of details about them but I thought it might be worth claiming. Got sod all. Wondering if it might be worth taking it to the ombudsman.

Cougar

Well, in for a penny.  After procrastinating about this for months I’ve just filled out two claims using the Which tool.

The first is with HSBC.  I know I had missold PPI on that – they told me it’d cover me if I lost my job, yet when I did lose my job I wasn’t covered.  That was on a credit card that had £10k on it about ten years ago, so I’m expecting that to be a wedge.

The second is Santander, I had a CC with them back in Abbey National days.  I didn’t knowingly have PPI at all on that, but I signed up for it on a whim when offered by staff in a branch of the bank.  If I did have PPI then it was definitely missold.

Wish me luck.

mboy
    Free Member

Wish me luck.

You don’t need luck Cougar! Based on what you’ve put in your response, I’d say they owe you quite a chunk of money same as me!

Coyote
    Free Member

Just had a punt on 3 providers I’ve used for CC and overdraft in the past. Honestly can’t remember if I had PPI but used the link on the FCA page. Only took a few minutes so if nothing comes of it, there’s nothing lost.

DT78
    Free Member

So egg got back to you in 6 days?  I’m still waiting for a response and it’s been about a month.

mboy
    Free Member

DT78 Citibank (Canada Square Operations) got back to me about the Egg Loan. I believe the Egg Card business is now dealt with by Barclaycard.

I did my application by their online forms, they promise to write back within a short timeframe.

mboy
    Free Member

And it keeps coming…

Another £450 on its way to me for the Egg card I had years ago too…

Get claiming boys and girls if you haven’t already!

steel4real
    Free Member

Which ‘method’ mboy ?

MSE or Which or some other direct means ??

ElShalimo

I know that I had PPI on some credit cards years ago but cancelled that part of it as it was £x per month extra. Do I have a valid claim?

frankconway

elshalimo – if you’ve ever paid any ppi, or think you have, get a claim in; interest on the amount paid is added at 8%pa; then the possibility of a plevin payment.

mboy
    Free Member

And it keeps getting better and better!

MBNA finally got back to me, I’ve got another £510 on my way back from them from a Credit Card I had back in the early noughties…

Which ‘method’ mboy ?

MSE or Which or some other direct means ??

Direct. I looked at the MSE way, but it just seemed like a fair bit of hassle, then discovered by googling that all the relevant people I needed to claim from have their own online forms to fill in anyway. So just filled their online forms in (took less than 10mins per form, I had 4 to fill in) and waited…

I know that I had PPI on some credit cards years ago but cancelled that part of it as it was £x per month extra. Do I have a valid claim?

100%

To be fair, even if you didn’t think you did have, you lose nothing by claiming (it’s not like claiming affects your credit score or the lender will then remove the lending facility from you).

Cougar

Well, in for a penny.  After procrastinating about this for months I’ve just filled out two claims using the Which tool.

Just an update on this.

I got a letter back almost immediately from Santander going “nope, sorry.”  Which TBH I kind of expected.

About a week later I got a phone call from HSBC, from the guy actually investigating my claim.  Asked me loads of questions about what I remembered when taking it out (not much) and why I believed it was mis-sold (I was lead to believe that it would protect me in situations that it turned out not to).

Just got home to find a letter.  They’ve upheld my claim.  To the tune of… £5,705.58!  Holy shitballs, get in!

theotherjonv

just be careful before you order the C&H, is that the gross payment – amount spent on PPI plus backdated interest, because you owe tax on the interest if it hasn’t been deducted.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/reclaim/2011/11/got-a-ppi-payout-you-probably-owe-tax

ElShalimo

@Cougar – wahey!! Party in East Lancs this weekend !!!

Brainflex

Anyone claimed from abroad? I now live in New Zealand and want to claim.

Cougar

you owe tax on the interest if it hasn’t been deducted.

Income tax has been deducted, it’s about £500.

@Cougar – wahey!! Party in East Lancs this weekend !!!

Damn skippy.  Beer, then?

Cougar

Holy thread resurrection (and abuse of mod powers) Batman!

A year ago I posted this:

I got a letter back almost immediately from Santander going “nope, sorry.” Which TBH I kind of expected.

I’ve just received an MBNA-headed letter TODAY saying sorry for the delay(!) and Santander are looking into my claim…

WTF? All I can think is either Santander debit (current account) and credit are different departments and it was the former that replied previously, or I cancelled both accounts last week as they’d laid dormant for years and that’s triggered something somehow. Bizarre.

sargey

Well my dear old mom passed away this time last year but before she did unknown to me she applied for ppi.
    Had two cheques for a total of £9200 drop through the letterbox last week.
    She was generous before she passed away and still giving now.
    Hmmm, which new bike to get.

baldiebenty
    Free Member

@Cougar – I’ve done some work in this area over the last 6 months, pulling in spreadsheets from the lenders and “interpreting” the contents. To be frank they’re all a bit shit and their handling of PPI claims has been a bit of a mess, Santander/MBNA are frequent fliers in my shit list of WTF have they done now problems!?!?! I think the last issue was related to them returning customer references that appeared to be made up, chucking an extra character on the end etc.
    They all love changing formats, adding columns, changing returned results and what they mean. It’s still an ongoing project modifying the code to keep up with their shifting goalposts, very few of them provide any documentation either.

Cougar

Cheers. To be honest I’m not surprised.

The reason I had the card in the first place is because I was in Abbey National for unrelated business and they foisted it upon me with the promise of 0% everything. I agreed because hey, free money, did a balance transfer from another card but didn’t correctly calculate their transfer fee which meant it went like a quid over the balance limit. As soon as I spotted this I immediately paid off the excess.

Got a statement, saw an interest charge of something like 17%, rang Abbey who explained the above, I went “well, that’s a bit crap,” they concurred and agreed to reinstate my introductory offer as a gesture of goodwill.

Then Abbey got bought by Santander. Next statement, interest again. So I rang Santander who basically went “tough shit.”

So as soon as I paid off the balance, I vowed never to use it again out of spite. It’s been dormant for years, along with my formerly Abbey current account.

Fast-forward to a couple of weeks ago, I got a letter from Santander telling me my credit card had a positive balance (~£10) and where would I like them to pay it? This prompted me to do what I’ve been meaning to do for ages and close the accounts. I rang them up, initiated a balance transfer for the card and closed it, then rinse and repeat for my current account which had a similarly life-changing balance in it. I was wondering if maybe this has triggered something deep in the bowels of Santander or whether it was a complete coincidence, but I don’t suppose it really matters either way.

I don’t know whether it ever had PPI on the card, but if it did then it was definitely missold as it was never mentioned by the salesdroid – if it had I’d have certainly said no after my previous negative experience with PPI via HSBC.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘PPI claims’ is closed to new replies.