Viewing 11 posts - 81 through 91 (of 91 total)
  • potential gas leak – will I die?
  • theotherjonv

Equally there isn’t a sticker saying  “if you can’t smell gas but the meter is registering usage even though you’ve got nothing running, don’t bother us, it’s probably nothing”

Kahurangi

I normally stay out of these sorts of threads because, well, there’s nothing to add.

Statement of facts.

OP has a gas leak.

Despite surchasing a detector, OP can not find the gas leak, nor where the gas is going.

There is a free service to assist with main gas leakages because gas explosions a moderately inconvenient.

!

Profit?

tonyf1
    Free Member

Got to say this is top level Darwinism. Pick the f***ing phone up and report you might have a gas leak.

Why is this one so difficult a concept for some folk?

blackhat
    Free Member

Mattyfez has to be an AI chat bot set to “full wind up” mode

ossify

TBF to the OP (because everyone and their dog seems to be piling on now), he has said that he’ll have it looked at when he gets back and the supply will be turned off (before the leaking side) in the meantime.

stingmered

0.04m^3 a week… so 40 litres, potentially building up in a confined space in a nice stoichometric, combustion ready mixture. And with dubious electrics/earthing nearby. Nah, you’ll be reet.

You are literally bonkers if you’ve not already called the gas network people. 

j4mie
    Free Member

To be fair Matty hasn’t smelt any gas. He’s not really in a position to call the number that you phone if you smell gas.

Presumably if he phoned it they would ask him if he can smell gas, there’s no point lying as they would soon find out that it wasn’t true.

I don’t think that “No, but I am worried because I suffer from OCD and keep checking my gas meter” is likely to be treated with the same level of urgency.

It’s the gas emergency phone line, not the “I can definitely smell gas” phone line.

There are enough stupid people out there to make it easier to say to call if you can smell gas. Plenty of people can’t and plenty of people can but don’t care… 🤦🏻‍♂️

TBF to the OP (because everyone and their dog seems to be piling on now), he has said that he’ll have it looked at when he gets back and the supply will be turned off (before the leaking side) in the meantime.

But it could be the ECV that isn’t actually turning the gas off, hence nobody has any idea if it is working to stop the gas or not. It needs checked by a qualified engineer.

Oh and technically speaking, it’s a gas service up to the meter. Gas Mains are in the streets, that then feed the Services.

RustyNissanPrairie

I know everyone has piled on the OP but if anyone knows Summerseat near Ramsbottom there was a gas explosion in a Victorian terrace there caused by a nearby fractured cast iron main that crept through the soil and was ignited in the unfortunate victims house. I walk the dog down there sometimes and it was odd looking into the shattered remains of someone’s house and life.

The massive nearby pub over the river was also swept away a few years ago so the area doesn’t really have much luck.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-manchester-58267865

mattyfez

But it could be the ECV that isn’t actually turning the gas off,

The ECV works… It’s shut off right now… The meter doesn’t spin.

lunge

Still not phoned then yet then?

I wonder how an insurer would react if you had to make a claim for the damage a gas leak caused and there was evidence you’d wilfully not chosen to contact someone to fix it?

goldfish24

I am this blinking close to calling them myself to tell you what they say…

Viewing 11 posts - 81 through 91 (of 91 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.