Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)
  • potential gas leak – will I die?
  • mattyfez

So having had my house rewired for electrics (just finished yesterday)…

Upshot of the rewire is good…other than they had to report the grid-side of the meter as it all looks really old and crap, and they say the mains comming into the house basically has no earth! SO Ill cat a call about that from national grid or whatever…

I thought I pay some attention to the gas…as that looks old too…I have an old style gas meter with a dial that reads in cubic meters…

I noticed the meter is registering a tiny amount of gas when there is no demand…(I pulled the lever to shut the gas off last night, and there was no usage overnight).

So today I isolated the gas combi boiler from the electrics so it cannot do anything -as I understand they can use a tiny bit of gas even when ‘off’.

The only other gas appliance in the house is the cooker.

In the space of about 2 hours my meter reading (in cubic meters) went from 30235.374 m3, to almost 30235.375 m3.

I’m sure this is a tiny amount but it should not be happening?

I’ve ordered one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0C74372PQ?smid=A1MTR4WEUV6KSJ&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp&th=1 before calling a gas engineer out.

Any opinions apprecitated!

bruneep

see that phone number on sticker, call that and say you think you can smell gas.

kayak23

Have you got a canary?

ernielynch

The battery operated gas detector that he has ordered from Amazon is reusable.

And very usefully does the reverse if it smells gas – it makes a noise.

funkmasterp

Light a candle and wander around the house wafting it about near gas pipes and appliances. If you blow up then there might be a leak 👍

mattyfez

And very usefully does the reverse if it smells gas – it makes a noise.

Haha! yeah, I figured for £20 its a handy thing to have anyway… have you seen the price of parrots, these days?

But more seriously…if there is a leak it seems like it’s very small?, I cant smell any gas…so hopefully with the new device I can pinpoint it to the meter or a connection to the meter, or maybe the connection on the cooker, etc.

johnners
    Free Member

I’d be inclined to just ring up the help number and tell them what you’ve told us. I’m willing to bet they’ll be out to check with their own super duper sniffer rather than just fob you off with a “it’ll be reet”!

theotherjonv

although you turned boiler off, are you sure there isn’t a pilot light on it, depends how old the boiler is?

That is a tiny amount – 1/1000 of a cu m = 1ltr. By comparison for cooking and a heating in a 3 bedroom house I use about 3000ltrs per day (3 cu m)  If there was a leak I’d have thought it would be more than that, but equally worth knowing what the cause is.

mattyfez

That is a tiny amount – 1/1000 of a cu m = 1ltr.

Well, exactly.. I thought it sounded like a tiny amount, so I figured I’d buy that little detector thing to see if I can sniff out a leak on the meter etc.

It’s a fairly modern combi boiler, so no pilot light, but I’ve cut the electric to it, so it can’t call for any gas, as I have read that even modern ones can use a tiny bit of gas, on a sparodic basis to keep the boilers internals warm and ready, so to speak.

falkirk-mark

Get a soapy water solution made up in a spray bottle and start by checking your connections with the gas on. Also we use draeger meters in work (LPG plant) that don’t always pick up gas and they are professional ones.

mattyfez

even just now, I just checked and the meter has gone up a tiny bit more…

It’s a mechanical meter so it can’t be an adjustment for the standing charge…?

mattyfez

So Just from this morning I’ve gone from .374 to .3765 ish.

tjagain

AS leak you cannot smell is unlikely to be dangerous I would have thought.  A manometer is very sensitive in sussing out leaks – I have used one and they are easy.

As above – soapy water spray on likely joints / fittings to find the actual leak.

markspark
    Free Member

When the electricians come back to finish the testing get them to do a proper job of the main tails that are just hanging down from the db to the meter, that’s crap!

bigalid

Call transco out (Number on the meter) they will come and do a proper job of finding the leak.

When I was doing my gas safe training, my tutor said the small leaks were the most deadly, A big leak and you smell, or even hear the gas leaking, turn everything off and get out…. small leaks you dont notice until it builds up to the LEL (lower explosive limit) and then your house, and your neighbours house disapear, in a fireball.

Turn the gas off at the meter isolation, and get them out to sort it

mattyfez

When the electricians come back to finish the testing get them to do a proper job of the main tails that are just hanging down from the db to the meter, that’s crap!

Thanks..yeah .. the electricians have already reported it to the grid as they are only allowed to work on ‘my side’ of the electric meter.

They already told me how dodgy it was so it’s not a huge concern of mine, I just have to wait for the ‘national grid’ to un-shag the dodgy bits I think?

dyna-ti

AS leak you cannot smell is unlikely to be dangerous I would have thought.

As heavier than air it seeks the lowest point, which may not just be the cellar or space beneath the floorboards, but possibly even the earth below that.

So best thing to do is indeed to call the gas board and have them come out forthwith to check, as they would be the best at detecting any leaks, than a bucket of soapy water or a sensitive nose.

I wouldn’t wait for any gas detection device, but ring them without delay.

Electricity and gas, especially gas, are best left in the hands of these professionals.

goldfish24

Just ring that number on the front and tell them what you’ve told us. You won’t be putting anyone out, it’s their job to make sure you (and your neighbours) are safe.

regarding the electricity all appears in hand, I had similar when I moved in and the DNO were out quite promptly to bring it all up to scratch. Although I think my spark recommended using the words “dangerous” and “emergency” to ensure a prompt response.

ernielynch

Although I think my spark recommended using the words “dangerous” and “emergency” to ensure a prompt response.

And my parrot has just died.

airvent
    Free Member

Christ. Stop hanging about and just call the number on the meter, that’s what they’re there for. Even a small leak could accumulate in a pocket of the house somewhere.

mattyfez

than a bucket of soapy water or a sensitive nose.

Hence why I’ve bought an electronic testing device.. If I can narrow down where any leak is concentrated then I’ll be there pre-armed if they try to say that the leak is in my side of the system.

The potential leak is so small that I don’t want any drongo from the gas company turning up and simply blaming the problem on my side of the pipe work, if you know what I mean!

It’s probably just a weeping gasket on the meter or the shut-off valve.

I’d like to arm myself with a bit more information first..

lunge

Thread like this do amuse me.
    OP – “I may have a small gas leak”
    Everyone – “that could be bad, thankfully there’s a number on the meter to get the professionals in to identify and fix the issue, do it now”
    OP – “yeah, no. I’ve bought this and I think it could be that”
    Everyone – “no, call the number, get it sorted”
    OP – “yeah, but maybe I could …”
    Everyone – “Call. The. Number.”
    OP – “Err…”

theotherjonv

Hence why I’ve bought an electronic testing device.. If I can narrow down where any leak is concentrated then I’ll be there pre-armed if they try to say that the leak is in my side of the system.

I thought you said that if you turn the valve off then it stops moving? If the meter is ticking, then it’s going through the meter and for that to be happening it must be going somewhere beyond. Ergo, it’s your side. I suppose it could be a weeping seal on the pipework directly at the meter in which case smell it, if it isn’t it’s going somewhere else.

FFS call the gas board

cynic-al
    Free Member

Any leak is supplier side surely, just call them out, it’s free (possibly a faulty meter).

db

Thanks..yeah .. the electricians have already reported it to the grid as they are only allowed to work on ‘my side’ of the electric meter.

they are on you side. Those 2 grey wires they have just left hanging should be properly clipped in place.

mattyfez

Thing is.. It’s a *really small* discrepancy and might be a dodgy meter as it’s mechanical.

wbo
    Free Member

Thing is ‘ it’s there , and even if you’re 99.9 % sure that 0.1 % of sitting in jail thinking about your 10m diameter bombhole would bother me.

Cougar

Thread like this do amuse me.

It’s not an uncommon theme.

“I’d like some advice.”

Sure, here’s some free advice.

“No no, I’d like advice which reassures me that my already entrenched opinion is correct.”

Cougar

… and as others have said,

If the meter turns when the supply is on and stops when you shut it off, you’ve very obviously got gas which is going somewhere.

might be a dodgy meter as it’s mechanical

Why would a dodgy meter stop when you shut off the supply?  What does “mechanical” have to do with anything?

I don’t know, but if I were a betting man I’d hazard that an over-reading meter would be illegal.  Rather, a failing meter would/should under-read.

tthew

If, (when) your call that gas emergency number, they’ll come and do a pressure drop test. If it fails, they shut off and lock the supply, they don’t fix the problem.

A 20 quid gas detector won’t locate a leak like that.

dyna-ti

Thing is ‘ it’s there , and even if you’re 99.9 % sure that 0.1 % of sitting in jail thinking about your 10m diameter bombhole would bother me.

Explosion initiated when the postman rang the bell delivering the gas detection device.

seriousrikk

Just to echo the already excellent advice.

Call the number. Detail everything you have said here. They don’t pi$$ about when it comes to potential gas leaks. They also have much better deterction equipment than a 20 quid detctor of unknown heritage from Amazon.

Additionally, I saw it mentioned above but wanted to clarify, no meter whether it is mechanical or digital will do anything to adjust the actual unit consumption for standing charge.

timba
    Free Member

+1

@mattyfez
    the service is free and IME they will fix supply-side problems there and then. I’ve had a new anaconda hose, a new gas meter and a new fibre washer on a gas fire over the years, all free. Don’t mess around with gas

ashhh

Call 0800 111 999 now and stop messing about. Gas is dangerous. They will come out and isolate (for free) if its dangerous. Then you can fix by whoever whenever. When i had them out they did all they could to help me. You cant legally work on gas so that sniffers useless anyway. Time to stop playing, the answer is that it takes a relatively small volume of gas (5 to 15% methane in air) to be flammable. So call. Now.

Bear
    Free Member

You are allowed a permitted drop with a tightness test on an existing gas installation providing there is no smell of gas.
    if I remember correctly explosive limit of natural gas is 5-15% concentration in air, usually you smell it at 2%. It is not heavier than air, LPG is, not natural gas.
    Do not use soapy water it is corrosive.
    call a gas engineer if you are worried.

funkmasterp

Call

The

Number

On

The

Meter

ernielynch

Call 0800 111 999 now and stop messing about.

I think the problem is that mattyfez wants to find the leak for himself first. I get the impression that he doesn’t totally trust them to be truthful.

“I’d like to arm myself with a bit more information first”

coconut
    Free Member

I had this about 5 months ago. I called the gas board, they need to respond within 2hrs, they were there in around 1hr. The guy used a sniff test tool and detected a tiny background seepage from the old meter, they contain an old rubber gasket that can perish with age. He changed the gasket and applied new sealant, problem solved. CALL THE GAS BOARD.

theotherjonv

“I’d like to arm myself with a bit more information first”

Yep. It’s a bit stupid mind. What’s the gas man going to say that you’re worried about?

When you turn the valve off it stops.

Turn the valve on and there’s gas going somewhere even though nothing’s using it.

Do I

1/ buy a meter off Amazon*, and use my zero knowledge of gas systems to try to trace it when it could be anywhere

2/ Phone a number and get an expert there for free in a matter of a couple of hours.

* of dubious quality / sensitivity. I just had a look on Screwfix who I’d consider a ‘reliable’ supplier and the cheapest NG detector they sell of the same style as the Amazon one is 3x the price. And their ‘good’ ones are £150+. But yeah, a £20 one not giving a signal is good enough to convince me that my house isn’t at risk of going bang.

“I’d like some advice.”

Sure, here’s some free advice.

“No no, I’d like advice which reassures me that my already entrenched opinion is correct.”

<sigh>

ashhh

You are allowed a permitted drop with a tightness test on an existing gas installation providing there is no smell of gas.

Hence why I’d get the engineer out. They’ll do a tightness test and advise. That sniffer isn’t the tool for the job.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM