Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Pot Noodle alternative?
  • tomsk01
    Free Member

Looking for a tasty and vaguely nutritious alternative to Pot Noodle, something that can be ‘cooked’ in the outdoors with hot water from a thermos. Work as a landscape gardener and a hot lunch is always nice on a cold and soggy day. To be fair haven’t had a Pot Noodle in about 20 years, just remember them being pretty rank

Cheers

Tom

Stoner
    Free Member

any instant noodles are better than pot noodles. Try lidl or aldi for cheap basic noodles – some in pots. Much nicer than pot noodles.

You can use the flavouring packaging or make your own soup base and take it with you in a diddy pot to add.

I like mayonnaise, olive oil, black pepper and worcester sauce in mine 🙂

Maybe try a tea spoon of Tom Yum soup paste or a teaspoon of dolmio stir in sauce etc.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Why not big soup in the flask or better still, homemade soup.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Pot noodles are ok. Not as bad as they used to be, I think they cut out a lot of the shite and salt. A trip to the local Chinese supermarket is an Aladdin’s cave of noodles.

TheBrick
    Free Member

As neilsonwheels say Chinese supermarkets is your friend! Load of choice cheap, plus plenty of other good potential camping food, dried mushrooms for example. Another camping fav of mine from Chinese supermarket is chilly flakes and garlic flakes, really cheap and add some flavour to bland food.

Flaperon

http://www.hotcans.co.uk/

Or soup. Or both.

tomsk01
    Free Member

Cheers all, think I’ll have to make a trip to some Chinese supermarkets the next time I’m in Bristol, and go down the home made route. Was just hoping for something ready made i could throw in my bag in the bleary haze of Monday mornings 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

loving those hotcans!
    very low energy density though – between 50 and 100 calories per 100g (400g serving). Doesnt seem a lot.

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

I’ve tried those hot cans, we had some at work once. They didn’t taste to good, bulky and half of them didn’t heat the food up.

RustySpanner

RustySpanner

tomsk01
    Free Member

Now those HFW recipes do look rather good, cheers z1ppy!

z1ppy

No problem, I really should try them myself (in fact gunna add instant noodles to the shopping list now), his everyday series was very good IMHO.

Cougar

I’m enjoying making soup at the moment. In your situation, I’d make an extra portion and stick it in a wide-mouthed flask.

RustyNissanPrairie

Wayfayrer foods

chvck
    Free Member

Thanks z1ppy, I’m definitely making that chorizo and tomato recipe, right up my street! Been looking for something simple for home made pot noodles for a while 😀

thomthumb
    Free Member

nong shim korean noodles are my favorite by a country mile. the spicy ones are pretty hot.

as said above chinese super market FTW.

asda (and i’m sure others) do pasta versions of pot noodle – i don’t like em but i’m fussy.

HermanShake
    Free Member

Take some real food in a Bento box (a big thermos for food). Really popular in Asia (particularly Japan), they have home cooked goodies for lunch instead of sarnies. You do a demanding job and probably need more calories than a noodle snack can offer. Cook a little extra for dinner, heat it in the morning before you go to work and bung it in the bento. Easy peasy.

Google “bento box aladdin” for more. They also have multi tiered oned like a tiffin. (Excuse my over use of brackets)

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Pot Noodle alternative?’ is closed to new replies.