• This topic has 140 replies, 50 voices, and was last updated 1 day ago by crab.
Viewing 21 posts - 121 through 141 (of 141 total)
  • Possible dumb question regarding watching fort bill race?
  • somafunk

Give these folk the budget and tv rights to the downhill season and it’ll guarantee greater viewing numbers

nickc

Well, I opened the app, cast it to the telly and watched Elite men’s and women’s live and watched the Juniors on catch-up afterwards (well, with a bit of judicious fast forwarding) The racing was good, the commentary was good, I didn’t feel like I didn’t see any less racing than when it was with Red Bull. Didn’t get told who’d won, didn’t get any broadcast lag.  Racing’s tight and its great to see the juniors racing so hard, loads of talent there. I get another weekend in a fortnight’s time, I’d like to get it for free, but still pretty good VFM.

superstu
    Free Member

Late to this, but I thought the commentary was excellent but the camera work / actual footage was pretty poor. Didn’t seem to have enough shots of the more interesting parts of the track but a lot of the slower / exposed early sections where not much happened. A lot of shots of passing cable cars 😂

a11y

Agree complete with @2tyred.

Had more time to reflect on our weekend since my previous post. Context: I’ve been most years since the beginnings, mostly as a spectator but also a 3-year stint working on the event as a firstaider, missed a few years until the mini-a11ys were older, then attended as a family the past 3 years. My kids think it’s bloody awesome and thoroughly enjoyed it apart from a brief time at the finish arena for mens semis when the music/commentary loudness was too much for them (and me TBH). But my kids don’t have the previous years to compare it to: not rose-tinted specs but the changes to format, finish arena, taping and general event management are not improvements. Felt very much adapted to suit TV audience more than fans onsite.

The taping really pissed me off especially as I prefer to be up on the hillside watching the actual riding up close, rather than in the finish arena. I can understand increased run-off at the outside of corners etc but failed to see any logic to a lot of the taping. Also one thing not mentioned was marshals getting arsy when trying to cross the track outside of the official/marked crossing points. Got a bollocking from one for crossing the track during a break in proceedings!

Will I be back? Probably due to the kids, but it’s just not the same.

Taping in 2024:

2024-05-05 Fort William DH World Cup Day 2 00022

Taping in 2011:

2011-06-02 Fort William DH World Cup 2011 (20)

fathomer

Did anyone else notice that the Discovery+ app on Sky tells you who won before bloody watching if you know the running order?

Like Redbull you can skip to the rider you want to watch but if that rider came 1st, 2nd or 3rd it tells you!

nickc

Red Bull used to have a video titled “Watch the winning Men’s Women’s Run” hours after the end of the event as well.

fathomer

But that didn’t tell you who won normally, I always got the video without knowing. On the Discovery+ app, you start the full replay and the scroll bar pops up instantly with the dots for each rider, filled with 1, 2 or 3 if they came in that position. Proper annoying!

Simon

Yes, noticed that, and crashes with rider names🙄

ocrider

There’s no spoiler free option like there is on the Eurosport app?

The taping did look a bit severe up high, how was it in the woods where it sounded like most people were spectating ?

nickc

But that didn’t tell you who won normally

Sure, but it did have a thumb nail of the winning rider, so it wasn’t exactly difficult to work it out either.

On the Discovery+ app,…

Didn’t get that when I watched the juniors after the elites?

euain

The taping really pissed me off especially as I prefer to be up on the hillside watching the actual riding up close, rather than in the finish arena

That’s a pity. This was 2014 – removing stones from shoes and trying not to miss the action!

Frightening to think the lad is racing the course in a couple of weeks!

P1000680

ceepers

so was there a free way to watch this?

I’ve got eurosport through sky but the tv channels haven’t shown any of the fort bill stuff, just the giro all weekend.

I don’t think my tv subs let me use the eurosport app either.

fathomer

I get Discovery+ as part of my Sky subscription, so not free per se.

ceepers

ah didn’t know that was a thing but think i might be able to get that too! Thanks

squirrelking
    Free Member

Wow, that taping.

Sounds to me like whoever took over looked at how Rare did it, multiple fan awards and such and just decided to go all corporate. Top of the course was never that great for atmosphere but they’ve taken away the only thing it had going for it.

alpin
    Free Member

Quite hard to get excited about results and racing when it’s so hard to access.

ayjaydoubleyou

But that didn’t tell you who won normally, I always got the video without knowing. On the Discovery+ app, you start the full replay and the scroll bar pops up instantly with the dots for each rider, filled with 1, 2 or 3 if they came in that position. Proper annoying!

that sounds terrible – I watched it live this week but wont be able to for Poland. even if you dont know the running order knowing that (for example) first place was somewhere in the middle and then second and third came at the end would ruin the suspense somewhat.

frogstomp

New track this weekend.. interested to see what it’s like. Looks like no coverage of semis again.. why does it feel like this was the plan all along – to move to a smaller field?

crab
    Free Member

Wyn track walk up now. Exciting to see a new track, looks like it’s going to get pretty mashed up over the weekend and with the expected rain. Really wish there would be more new tracks and venues on the circuit.

snotrag

There were loads of people slagging the track off on the YouTube and Insta footage upon first viewing this week, but it’ll only take the first practice session before it’s absolutely destroyed and the lines and ruts start to develop. It won’t last well in poor weather either being so new (total opposite of Fort William for instance which is very weatherproof) Should be good.

crab
    Free Member

Track looks good, kinda old school compared to the more established tracks, lots of loam and roots, mashed up natural sections.. Looks like it’s had a good amount of rain to bed it in a bit and the weather looks mostly dry now so should be a goodun.

Viewing 21 posts - 121 through 141 (of 141 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM