• This topic has 1,822 replies, 446 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by PJay.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,601 through 1,640 (of 1,823 total)
  • Possible demise of CRC / Wiggle
    twinklydave

In case anyone is worrying about returning stuff I returned a cracked Vitus frame in November, CRC confirmed they couldn’t repair it and would refund me on 22nd December and…that’s the last thing that happened.They’re now not responding to emails / queries using the “contact us” form on the site and the person on their live chat couldn’t get any information about it beyond a pdf of a returns form with no financial information attached to it. That live chat person promised to email me with the transaction details (as the bank’s confirmed nothing’s been sent from them)  but so far…nada. 

Looks like a small claims case incoming :( 

So maybe be a little wary…

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Yep. Funnily enough I went down the same rathole when Brant linked to their socks  which all links up too.

Didn’t Brant actually design the Ragley stuff to start with as well? This all seems a bit incentuous or “inbred”.

devash
    Free Member

@twinklydave did you pay by credit card rather than debit card? If so you can log a claim with your CC company who should be able to sort it for you.

twinklydave

Debit card, sadly – back in the days when I had faith in them!

chakaping

Didn’t Brant actually design the Ragley stuff to start with as well? This all seems a bit incentuous or “inbred”.

STWers reading this thread now:

molgrips
    Free Member

Ordered a DHB long sleeved jersey for a tenner (down from £60) and it’s fantastic.  Superbly comfortable, in fact I am still wearing it!  Went straight on and ordered two more L/S and two S/S, including one reduced from £120 to £10.

bikerevivesheffield

Dave owning banana industries isn’t a secret, well known here in Sheffield

grimep
    Free Member

Can everyone stop posting bargains until after pay day please? It’s mid January FFS. Must resist….

laurencegough
    Free Member

You can still make a claim with many debit cards.

noeffsgiven
    Free Member

I returned a faulty mega frame last week and got refunded Monday, I also returned a wonkily stitched Troy lee top the other day.

garage-dweller

Looks like a small claims case incoming

A word of warning on this…
    You cannot commence or continue legal proceedings against a company in administration without the consent of the administrator or permission of the court (being the court in which the administration proceedings are filed).  There is a statutory moratorium under the Insolvency Act 1986.

Did you buy it before or after Wiggle went into administration (I’d guess before)?  That might affect your position.

Have you tried going direct to the administrator’s contact person and ask them what the position is?

Andy

Returned £250 worth of a few bits and bobs by 1st class post on Monday. Refunded this morning (Thursday).

twinklydave

A word of warning on this…
    You cannot commence or continue legal proceedings against a company in administration without the consent of the administrator or permission of the court (being the court in which the administration proceedings are filed).  There is a statutory moratorium under the Insolvency Act 1986.

Did you buy it before or after Wiggle went into administration (I’d guess before)?  That might affect your position.

Have you tried going direct to the administrator’s contact person and ask them what the position is?

Thank you for the advice – it’s very helpful.

It was purchased from CRC before they went into administration. I’m still building the case as much as possible – and giving them as much chance as possible to sort it, of course, which I’d much prefer and is what they offered (I get the feeling it’s due to lack of staff/everything falling apart there rather than purposeful ineptitude, I just can’t afford to ‘lose’ £2000!)
    I’ll contact the administrators before looking at starting any sort of proceedings.

brant
    Free Member

I didn’t know Brant bought Onza, interesting…

TBH, I didn’t know that either.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Realistically once this blip of bankruptcy stock dumping is over I’m certain everyone will go back to 10% discounts max and RRPs will all go up 20-30% to reflect reality. Prepare to pay alot more soon!

Dunno, I’m desperately trying to avoid looking at the CAAD13’s that are 50% off at the moment…….

There seems to be a lot of overstock in the industry. Those 2023 Cannondale’s have 11s Ultegra which is ~2 years past the launch of R8100 12speed now. They were old-tech when they hit the shop floor. So does that mean Cannondale / PON are sat on years of Shimano groupsets they need to sell? It seems very odd they’re trying to sell £3k RRP road bikes to a notoriously snobby/tarty demographic with a 6 year old Ultegra groupset when there’s now 12s 105 in both mechanical and Di2 to hit that price point.

Everything still feels a lot more expensive than ~2014, back then no one had a clue what SRAM/Shimano RRP was, it was just some hypothetical figure and we all thought £70 RRP was an obscene amount for a mid-tier rear mech when every shop sold them for ~£35.

Obviously the industry isn’t going to run at a loss, but this might mean R&D budgets get cut. Less £1800 halo products like wireless group sets using yet another proprietary hub/mech hanger. R&D spent more trickle down to GX/SLX/105 and prices stabilizing a bit. I.e the engineering meeting starting with “how can we make a £100 cassette lighter” or “how can we make this 400g cassette cheaper”, not “can we make a lighter cassette at a new higher price point”.

Well he posted something like “interesting news coming tomorrow”, then a link to the M&L auction where someone had paid ~£5k for the Onza band. So I might be putting two and two together and making 5, but feels more like a 4.something at worst.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

TBH, I didn’t know that either.

You tease…………. (p16 of this thread)

So who has?

brant
    Free Member
    I’ll be back in a day with an amusing bar end related update.

https://www.johnpyeauctions.co.uk/Event/LotDetails/147213742/ONZA-Such-rights-title-and-interest-as-the-Adminstrator-may-posses-in-Trademark-ONZA-No-UK00003554578-Renewal-date-11112030-and-No-UK00003554580-Renewal-date-11112030-and-No-UK00913711651

the-muffin-man

Onza spiky strides coming to HebTroCo soon!…

chestrockwell

Yeah, he never said he’d actually bought the name, just that it was in the auction.

As I’m sure Brant can tell you, he was defo involved in the first Ragley bikes as he dealt personally with my mate’s mk1 Blue Pig that had a seat tube issue. After the replacement mk2 had an ovalised head tube my pal gave up!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Yeah, he never said he’d actually bought the name, just that it was in the auction.

True, very cryptic, he did tease it the day before it ended, and posted the link to the finished auction, almost like he didn’t want to up the bidding………

Heck for £5k I’d have been tempted to buy myself a job/project for next time the engineering industry / economy decides to take a dump on my career.

brant
    Free Member

Yeah, I know who was bidding and who bought it.

Ragley was a project (originally called TWEAK) which Wiggle backed me to start when I left On-One.
    Though before I signed with Wiggle, CRC called me and I went over to see them, and signed with them instead.

The name TWEAK got blocked by Tweeks Cycles, so the first model which was going to be called a Tweak Ragley Ti, ended up being Ragley Ti with Ragley being the brand name. It’s the name of the wood we used to ride in in Hebden.

So yeah, Ragley, then helped get Vitus going again, then helped expand Nukeproof from parts to bikes.

Then went back to PX which helped me pay for my divorce.

And then trousers.

Obvious really.

jonnyboi

Wiggle, CRC, PX.. I see a pattern emerging 

it’s all Brant’s fault 

jimmy748

I heard it was actually Zak Tempest that bought Onza.

wzzzz
    Free Member

I heard it was actually Zak Tempest that bought Onza.

Awesome, I’ve been waiting a long long time for these to finally see production!

captaintomo
    Free Member

Something going on at Chiggle? I have noticed virtually all their prices are back to pre administration levels.

scotroutes

Yeah, but they’ve got a Spend and Save promotion on now.

BB

I remember that Onza Octopus article! I was totally sucked in (excuse the pun) as well and really wanted some for a month until the next magazine. £14.95 for tyres though. Those were the days…

rootes1

I remember that Onza Octopus article! I was totally sucked in (excuse the pun) as well and really wanted some for a month until the next magazine. £14.95 for tyres though. Those were the days…

where do you get those soap holders from these days?

benpinnick

where do you get those soap holders from these days?

In the aisle next to shower mats I think.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Anyone heard anything?

Saw on Facebook they’d made another round of redundancies this morning, but the comments under the post just seemed to be a scattergun of uninformed theories that some part of the business had been sold.

Zombie
    Free Member

Mike Ashley will update you shortly

kelvin

Shit, that’s awful news.

If the new owners are buying IP only, $$$$ the staff… they’re going to get limited good faith from existing customers, I suspect.

doomanic

Bugger, that sucks for the staff.

BruceWee

That’s strange.

The only thing I think of when it comes to the CRC/Wiggle’s IP is, ‘That’s CRC’s own brand, probably reasonable value for money.’

Without CRC/Wiggle I wouldn’t have thought the IP was worth much.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Bugger.

But I guess kinda inevitable.

They were too big to be bought by another cycle industry operation.
    Hut group or Frasers etc all have their own warehousing and distribution already.
    Couldn’t see VC or private equity having the stomach for it in the current cycle market.

Does that sale include the in-house brands?

a11y

That’s not good, not a nice way to be treating the staff either if that’s true (not that I doubt it isn’t).

‘That’s CRC’s own brand, probably reasonable value for money.’

+1. I’ve got heaps of Nukeproof, DHB and Fohn clothing, as well as the Lifeline spares. Huge amount of Nukeproof components across my bikes too. That’s what I’ve associated Wiggle/CRC with for years.

rocco

I was just about to pull trigger on a Vitus until I saw the news.

Is it worth waiting to see if bigger discounts appear or just buy now as there is stock? Would you still have manufacturer warranty for any problems if retailer has gone?

keefezza
    Free Member

Looks like the race teams are all officially over too. Post from Elliot heap saying he’s now without sponsorship.

Same from Pagey. Sad times all round for the CRC family.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Would you still have manufacturer warranty for any problems if retailer has gone?

Who’s the manufacturer?

To answer your question, no warranty, buy with that in mind.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,601 through 1,640 (of 1,823 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.