Home Forums Bike Forum Possible demise of CRC / Wiggle

• This topic has 1,826 replies, 447 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by mashr.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,281 through 1,320 (of 1,827 total)
  • Possible demise of CRC / Wiggle
    jonnyboi

Purchased a 29er hard tail for less than £200. Starting to think I am taking the piss now. Can’t imagine it will come out of the box before I flip it (if it arrives).

I sold the cargo bit from my folding cargo bike for just less than I paid for the whole thing, so have a lovely folding commuter with hydraulic disc brakes and Dynamo lights for £70.

cookeaa

There is quite an uneasy feeling about the whole business. On one side….get some bargains. On the other…can’t help feel for the bike shops, the local friendly ones who really sort you out, who can’t ever compete with this. They may need us after xmas if things are bad, so don’t go too crazy on overstocking parts.

Meh, they charge absolute top whack for the basics (a bottle of stans, tubeless valves, gear cables, inner tubes, etc) because when you really need these things and you’ve not planned ahead that does constitute good “value” and that’s where the margin is.

The rest of the time, I’m going to jump on any bargains I can, I’m certainly not going to diddle myself just to prop up someone else’s business there’s a cost of living crisis on and bikes are a discretionary spend in our household…

Anyone who goes out of their was to buy stuff in their LBS just to “support them” is a mug (IMO).

molgrips
    Free Member

My DHB Aeron running waterproof came, it’s incredible, like super tough tissue paper, stretchy, and almost imperceptible to wear. I’m seriously considering the road cycling one.

mashr

Meh, they charge absolute top whack for the basics (a bottle of stans, tubeless valves, gear cables, inner tubes, etc) because when you really need these things and you’ve not planned ahead that does constitute good “value” and that’s where the margin is.

”need brake pads eh? £25”
    “Decent brand then?”
    “Yeah, Aztec”

**** sake

mr_p

Anyone else had “We are unable to deliver to this location. Please choose a different delivery location to proceed.” when trying to order? I mean, I do live in central-ish Manchester but its not THAT bad!

coconut
    Free Member

My Brand X dropper turned up today, 2 days after ordering. Will be gutted if Brand X disappear for good.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Certain brands in a basket seem to prompt that message when you go to checkout. Probably some trial and error required to work out which item(s) mind

garage-dweller

Liquidation of stock, of course, because the parent company has debts. Doesn’t mean that wiggle itself is being wrapped up, I don’t think?

Just to clear up a bit about what Administration means and where cash goes.
    The main role of the administrator of Wiggle Limited (in administration) is (effectively) realising assets to pay the creditors of Wiggle Limited to the extent that it’s possible to do so and according to the statutory order of priority.
    Assets includes anything tangible or intangible that will generate net value including on a sale of some or all of the business.
    If a group company is owed money by Wiggle Limited then it will have a claim in Wiggle’s administration and will potentially get some payment (or not) depending on what funds are available to pay distributions to creditors. Group companies will sit in line with other creditors of the same legal priority.
    As for what the future holds the administrator has to report periodically.  I hope for one that they do manage a deal because that’s likely to be the best outcome for the biggest number of people and especially for the staff.

frankconway

Yep, liquidator’s principal role is to turn stock into cash realising as much money as possible.

loum
    Free Member

The message about the location comes up when they’ve gone out of stock.

bennyboy1
    Free Member

My 12sp Dura Ace chainset arrived after 3 days from ordering with Chiggle this week, paid £270 for it (rrp is £550) so plenty pleased to pick it up at that discounted price.

TiRed

Anyone who goes out of their was to buy stuff in their LBS just to “support them” is a mug (IMO).

Do you know the price of everything and not the value? When did Wiggle last service a bike or true a wheel just before you had an urgent trip? Use them or lose them.

Looked at some of the single speed bikes on Wiggle. I didn’t see the value despite some apparently silly low prices for gas pipe frames and lead alloy wheels with dangerous tyres.

roger_mellie

@freeagent, I’m tempted by the same, but might be a bit racy compared to my very comfortable position diverge.

How are you finding the Basso?

I bought a Basso road bike in the summer on C2W for £2500 – Wiggle are now selling the same bike for £1600,

nigew
    Free Member

I’m tempted with a carbon Nukeproof Reactor frame but the lack of spare mech hangers is putting me off, does anyone know of an aftermarket supplier, i’ve taken a look at BETD, unfortunately they don’t list one

superstarcomponents
    Free Member

This looks pretty bad to be honest. the main group higher up is now imploding. Talk of €5 billion plus in debts. https://www.ft.com/content/31884c4d-2da7-4b43-917e-3180e9eafa3d

looks like massive overvaluation to get more loans and investors is coming back to bite them. Even SoftBank and Saudi wealth fund billions appear to have limits to pouring money in a hole. 

about 4 weeks till the CRC administration have to provide their report and we will actually know what is happening.

if there are any buyers I’m suspecting they are all hanging back to see how little they can get away with bidding for the IP and brand names. There’s gonna be no stock value left very soon. 

Neil SuperstarComponents

Rich_s

There’s gonna be no stock value left very soon.

Which reminds me I probably need to uplift my home contents insurance cover 😁

superstarcomponents
    Free Member

I’m starting to think eBay will be flooded with regret purchases next year🤣

I have machined lots of their spare hangers over the years but I’m not getting involved till they are gone  

Neil SuperstarComponents

b33k34

@nigew pretty sure all the current Nukeproof Frames use SRAM UDH (for better or worse) so 1) they’re easy and cheap to buy, 2) you’ll never need one because the frame will probably break or bend before the hanger. Looks like UDH from the product images too

nigew
    Free Member

@nigew pretty sure all the current Nukeproof Frames use SRAM UDH (for better or worse) so 1) they’re easy and cheap to buy, 2) you’ll never need one because the frame will probably break or bend before the hanger. Looks like UDH from the product images too

I’m impressed with your confidence in the frames 😄😄

I think the Mega is UDH, the out of stock one for the reactor looks different

nuke

I’m tempted with a carbon Nukeproof Reactor frame but the lack of spare mech hangers is putting me off

Very good point that which, blinded by the discount, i hadn’t considered… I’m tempted but that is now putting me off (given ive just found they’re also out of stock on hangers for my vitus)

nigew
    Free Member

@nuke I haven’t bent or snapped one for ages then I broke two in quick succession on my BfeMax then my Mondraker Foxy, sticks in rear mechs both times, a few clicks online and replacements were in the post.

nigew
    Free Member

@munrobiker Thank you for that, although it may just cost me £900 🙈

fooman

I’m starting to think eBay will be flooded with regret purchases next year🤣

I’m already seeing more brand new Nukeproof frames on ebay with a mark up on crc prices.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Onzadog’s Law.

Always buy a spare hanger with 3very new bike/frame. Then Murphy’s Law means you’ll never need it.

Never buy a frame/bike if they can’t supply a mech hanger at the same time.

TiRed

Onzadog has forgotten the corollary; store said hanger so that when you need it, you won’t be able to find it.

jonnyboi

A couple of shipment notifications just pinged through so stuff still going out the door ok.

kelvin

I’m impressed with your confidence in the frames

Nothing wrong with the frames. It’s a comment on UDH… they aren’t sacrificial hangers like we’re used to.

paulwf

Nothing wrong with the frames. It’s a comment on UDH… they aren’t sacrificial hangers like we’re used to.

I’d disagree.  The plastic bit snaps and the mech goes backwards.  You can straighten up and ride home before replacing.

Happened to me twice – lot of ash die back clearing in Kent so lots of debris on bridleways

Northwind

I’m saving up, instead of buying bargains I’m just going to buy Nukeproof, at this rate it’ll cost about £3.

nigew
    Free Member

@nuke
    I haven’t bent or snapped one for ages then I broke two in quick succession on my BfeMax

Does it have the bloody terrible Syntace hanger? I love Cotic and I quite like Syntace but those things are utter crap.

Rubber_Buccaneer

it’ll cost about £3

£2.70 with code ‘CLEAR10’

nigew
    Free Member

Does it have the bloody terrible Syntace hanger? I love Cotic and I quite like Syntace but those things are utter crap.

It is the syntace one, i agree, the bolt did its job and broke but i had to buy the whole hanger to get a new bolt. 

jonnyboi

You’ve have to say, come the revolution it will be a toss up who gets it first between BB & rear hanger designers.

Gribs

I’m tempted with a carbon Nukeproof Reactor frame but the lack of spare mech hangers is putting me off, does anyone know of an aftermarket supplier, i’ve taken a look at BETD, unfortunately they don’t list one

I’d be looking at a Bird Aether 9 frame instead as it’s cheaper, has better geometry and weighs about the same. Nukeproof seem to have some scales that need calibrating.

cookeaa

Do you know the price of everything and not the value? When did Wiggle last service a bike or true a wheel just before you had an urgent trip? Use them or lose them.

That old chestnut.
    They were lost years ago, they were shite and then CRC and wiggle killed them 😉.

My local bike shops are now a Halfords, a decathlon and an Evans, hardly an improvement. The closest thing to a proper family owned ‘LBS’ is about 10 miles away (and closed on Sundays IIRC), a 20 mile round trip for a gear cable isn’t one I’m up for. I do know of at least two mobile mechanics in the area, who will probably be scavenging the corpse of Chiggle for spares as much as the rest of us…

As for “servicing” I have opposable thumbs and tools, I can do ~97% of jobs I might need and enjoy doing things for myself.

The one thing my not very local bike shop is good for is that they’ll package up and send your shock away for for you and it’s apparently guaranteed and insured.

The romanticised idea of the Local Bike Shop where helpful, enthusiastic staff will do top notch work for biscuits and steer you to the ‘right’ products is not something I’ve encountered very often in the last four decades, I’ve met pleasant enough sales people, sullen bastards and not much in-between… YMMV of course.

matt_outandabout

YMMV of course

We’ve a choice of four excellent LBS’s. Stirling Cycles next to my office, Velocity44 in town centre, Roots Cycles in next village and one at Comrie Croft 15 miles away. All very good, all really helpful and all we buy from.

ogden
    Free Member

The romanticised idea of the Local Bike Shop where helpful, enthusiastic staff will do top notch work for biscuits and steer you to the ‘right’ products is not something I’ve encountered very often in the last four decades, I’ve met pleasant enough sales people, sullen bastards and not much in-between… YMMV of course.

If I go anywhere near an lbs I always make a point of going in them but more often leave more disappointed and think I won’t bother popping in there again. 7 local shops 40min of me and there’s only 2 I’d go to 🤷🏻‍♂️. Redskybikes in Thirsk have a great mechanic and while everything is RRP they occasionally do 3 for 2 on anything in store and are dead friendly. Westbrook cycles in Stokesley are usually well priced for parts and have that weird thing you’d not find in most shops.

Lots seen passive aggressive, dower and don’t help themselves imo.

anagallis_arvensis

I don’t agree. My lbs is really good.

bikesandboats
    Free Member

For anyone waiting on orders, I made two on the 28th and 29th November, dispatched on the 1st and due for delivery today. Only a tiny bit slower than usual but staff must be super busy and super un-motivated so I’m surprised it didn’t take longer. 

£30 for SLX M7100 disc brakes front and back aren’t to be sniffed at however long they take to arrive! 

Viewing 40 posts - 1,281 through 1,320 (of 1,827 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.