Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Porridge – prepare night before fruity ideas please
  • iainc

I have always eaten it the traditional way but feel like a change. Looking in the fridge I see milk, skyr yogurt, blueberries, raspberries and strawberries.

Any tasty concoctions ?

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Porridge oats
    Bit of granola
    Greek yogurt
    Milk

Leave in fridge

In the morning add –
    Bit more granola for some crunch
    Honey
    Strawberry’s
    Raspberry’s

Enjoy

iainc

Sounds ideal, relative quantities on the oats, yogurt and milk ?

northernsoul

I like the sound of that too – I’m riding in the Dales tomorrow and have to be up at sparrow’s fart to meet up with my riding buddy, so I might give it a try tonight (porridge is a staple in our house as the kids love it, especially when there’s honey involved).

chipster

When I do overnight oats, I layer all the ingredients and leave overnight, as you do…

https://www.quakeroats.com/cooking-and-recipes/berry-overnight-oats

lucien

Slimming World recipe

1 cup of oats

1x Muller light yoghurt

Add frozen fruit (as much as you want)

Leave overnight and hey presto breakfast goodness

Mrs L swears by it, it’s Ok by my reckoning but I’d need something else in it for texture if I was going to eat on regular basis

chipster

With those ingredients, Ianc, it’d be yoghurt, fruit, oats repeated to the top of the container. I’d also slice a banana in there, too.

edit I use Lidl greek yoghurt (low fat).

iainc

Thanks for the suggestions 👍

bigyim
    Free Member

Oats. Natural yoghurt. Grated apple. Sultanas and some milk. Leave it over night and maybe out some chopped nuts in

bsims
    Free Member

Rasberries and blackberries with a bit of cinamon

TiRed

The term you are looking for is “Bircher”. I have no idea why porridge with yogurt left overnight is called that, but plenty of options.

I sometimes make it cold the night before then zap it in the morning. Oats are better when they’ve absorbed moisture.

anagallis_arvensis

I dont prepare the night before, just oats a dash of apple juice some frozen mixed berries, defrosted obviously, and yogurt.

sajama55
    Free Member

Sultanas, banana and honey. Fast way just microwave and let stand for a few mins, perfect bike fuel.

theboyneeds
    Free Member

I’ve throw a handful of oats in a bowl covered by boiling water, then a sprinkling of chia seeds and some frozen rasberriess/blueberries/summer fruits mix.

Then deliver a cup of tea to your sleeping wife and hey presto oats have softened and fruit has thawed. Spoonful of honey and you’re set. No need for overnight faffage.

swdan
    Free Member

The term you are looking for is “Bircher”. I have no idea why porridge with yogurt left overnight is called that, but plenty of options.

Some Swiss (?) Dr I believe (Dr Bircher wouldn’tyouknow), wasn’t something with a bit more taste to feed his resident patients for breakfast. Hence Bircher Muesli

CheesybeanZ

Porridge oats mixed with Greek yoghurt and frozen berries (morrisons frozen wonky berries)
    Give it all a mix leave in fridge till the morning and add a banana . Njoy .

peajay

Oats, Chia seeds, Choc chips, Skyr honey flavoured yoghurt, milk.
    In summer I replace the choc chips with strawberries and blueberries.
    Don’t like them out of season hence choc chips in winter.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Cold porridge = gruel, however you dress it up.

Oat muffins ftw.

2 eggs
    3 bananas
    250g frozen fruit, your choice
    180g porridge oats
    2 tbsp honey

Mix up, makes 6 big muffins, 35 mins at 200degc.

Heat up in micro in morning, half and smear with yoghurt, berries, maple syrup and seeds.

It’s like pudding for brekkie, been having it for a couple of years now!.

Or if I run out, cinnamon raisin bagel toasted and covered in banana and peanut butter. 😍

superstu
    Free Member

Sultanas, banana and honey. Fast way just microwave and let stand for a few mins, perfect bike fuel.

Also stir in some peanut butter as I saw someone else do this on the interwebz and it adds some nice flavour/texture

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Fresh apple chips and crushed hazlenuts is seasonal. A little salt.

RustySpanner

What, with these feet?

mogrim

My standard recipe is a glass of apple juice, 200g of frozen berries, two small pots of unsweetened yoghourt, and 8 tablespoons of oats. Prepare the night before, and it makes enough for two days.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Porridge – prepare night before fruity ideas please’ is closed to new replies.