Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Poorly pawls
  • reeksy

Had a Pro 4 freehub apart to check the bearings over xmas and a couple of the pawls were a bit unhealthy. Never had to change them before but there’s a couple that are chipped.

From experience will they last a while before replacing? 200km or so?

Getting one in Oz is proving painful so i’ll need to order out of Blighty which means silly postage costs and at least a week to wait until it gets here…

tjagain

Clean well, lightly grease and they should be OK for a bit.  I wouldn’t disappear into the outback tho – keep close to civilization

matt_outandabout

Does no one sell Hope in Aus or NZ? I would have thought there might be one shop – and I think Hope pawls have only got a couple of options….

escrs
    Free Member

Just replace them with zip ties for the time being, some people do this and never refit the Hope pawls again!

The zip tie replacement of pro 2 springs – pictures included

dc1988

That would be great but the OP has issues with the pawls not the springs.

big_scot_nanny

Could someone get you just the pawls faster than a new free hub?

IMHO (and unfortunately I have a lot of it in this area, oh the trauma), they are likely to ‘go’ suddenly and rather catastrophically – possibly taking the ratchet ring with them.

You may also want to understand what it is that has caused them to chip, and try to solve that too. (e.g. for me, as soon as the inner free hub bearing felt anything less than absolutely perfect, things were heading south fast)

cx_monkey

Bikesportz are the Aus distro – seem to be an alright operation – probably worth giving them a bell

reeksy

Yeah, pawls is what I meant. The cost and speed of post in Oz makes it no cheaper really, and I can’t find supply on Oz sites.

Bearings have been checked and replaced as necessary. I have done quite a few kms on the wheel over two years, guess about 5k km of single track.

reeksy

I tried Bikesportz who directed me to my local (1hr drive) stockist who denied being a stockist.

carlos
    Free Member

Might be worth a call to Hope themselves to ask who/where is the nearest Oz stockist to you.

If I had any new ones in the spares box, I’d fire them out to you.

Northwind

Did you contact Hope? Good chance they’ll just send you some. THey probably shouldn’t have worn in the first place but they’re generally good at sending out small bits and pieces especially for the bits they know aren’t quite up to scratch.

reeksy

Out of stock for two months in Oz. Why didn’t the distributor tell me that in the first place?

drnosh
    Free Member
    carlos
    Free Member

dmosh – yeah, they’re what he’s after.

reeksy

Yes, that’s what I was going to order … but then someone on a FB group has gifted me a complete freehub. Very generous.

matt_outandabout

👍

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Poorly pawls’ is closed to new replies.