Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Pompetamine vs Roadrat
  • ken_shields
    Free Member

In the words of Harry Hill………..

Now I like the On One Pompetamine and I like the Cotic Roadrat but which is better?

Pictures and experiences of both please

Thanks
    Ken

cynic-al
    Free Member

Is there a gear hanger on the Pompetamine?

Track ends with discs would rule wither out for me.

a11y

Horizontal dropouts with discs hasn’t been as big an issue on my Roadrat as I was led to believe, but I rarely remove the rear wheel and haven’t suffered a rear puncture in several months (that’s jinxed that then).

Mowgli
    Free Member

What do you want it for? The Pomp takes a rear pannier rack better but does not taken front or rear mechs without some bodging. The ‘rat takes gears but the caliper will foul any normal rack. The Pomp is much cheaper and comes in better colours.

Retrodirect
    Free Member

I own a roadrat and my flatmate owns a pompetamine. If I was to buy now I’d get a pompetamine. (I got mine a few years ago – before the pomp came out. This is due to a few minor issues with my rat, but don’t get me wrong it’s a great bike

Pomp have a standard road headangle = quicker handling than the rat.
    Pomp is quite a bit stiffer than the rat – the rat being as flexy as a very flexy thing. Not so good if you plan to do any regular touring on it.

Running singlespeed and discs is easier on the rat
    Running discs and a rack is easier on the pomp

The CS mounted disc arrangement on the pomp means you need to slide the disc caliper backwards and forwards to account for the wheel moving backwards and forwards in the dropouts when tensioning your chain.
    The SS mounted disc arrangement on the rat means you need to buy a disc specific rack for the rear to clear the caliper, but if you do so it causes no problems. It does however look like an ugly cludge.

Both are a pain if you’re running full length mudguards and singlespeed. (the rack mount gets in the way of your spanner loosening your wheel bolts (not a problem if you’re running more modern kit with allen keys, but a pain if you’re using a bolted hub). Also if you change your chain tension or sprocket sizes you need to re-adjust your rack to the new wheel position.

The rat has closed cable guides, of which the centre one on the toptube is daftly placed (I kept cracking my knees off the thing) whereas the pomp uses ziptie mounts. Personally I change kit a lot and would prefer ziptie mounts rather than having fully closed guides.

The rat is more versatile than the pomp, but suffers from being jack of all trades master of none.

—————————————–

As for how much I know the bike, I’ve owned my rat for 2 years, using it as a longdistance touring bike 3,500miles of the silk road. used it as a workbike for 6 months (I’m a courier) and currently use it to bike-polo on.

The pomp as I have said is only new (my flatmates, but it is really goddamn pretty)

epicsteve
    Free Member

The SS mounted disc arrangement on the rat means you need to buy a disc specific rack for the rear to clear the caliper,

I’ve just got a normal, non disc specific rack on my ‘rat and it went straight on, no problem:

I’ve also changed the chain tension and the rear sprocket on my bike without any need to do anything at all with the rack.

kelvin

I’m going to dig out some ROADRAT touring photos…

kelvin
    epicsteve
    Free Member

This was mine set-up for touring with front and rear racks (but minus the mudguards which I’ve yet to fit) although I haven’t actually toured on it yet:

I’ve got a 39t to replace the 45t on the front when I do use it for a loaded tour.

kelvin

This guy seems to cope:

“New York to Los Angeles”
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/22325773@N02/collections/72157606756474895/

That’s proper touring. I’m jealous.

tollah
    Free Member

Ken, I’ve got a med short Roadrat you can have a go on if you find yourself over these parts again!

ken_shields
    Free Member

Cheers Tollah unfortunately at 6’4″ a medium short might just be a bit wee for me but thanks for the offer

Mind you mine’s not gonna be having any of that old rack and mudgaurd bollox going on. This will be used as my winter SS road bike as I don’t want to use my retrotastic Raleigh coz of all the polished aluminium

Clink

I’ve run a cheap disc-specific rack from wiggle for last 3+ years – never given me any trouble and looks fine. No experience of the Pomp (other than a brief cx race on teh standard version) but my ‘Rat has certainly been a reliable commuter.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Pompetamine vs Roadrat’ is closed to new replies.