Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 223 total)
  • So Alberto tested positive for clenbuterol bronchodilator drug and blames food?
  • Frankenstein
    Free Member

I did feel sorry for him on his video interview though.

What will UCI do? Introduce Tour De France meals on wheels for the riders? Could be done but the costs?

We just have to rely on WADA to keep introducing tests with high True positives and negatives.

If he is innocent I really feel sorry for the guy. If he is guilty then he should be banned. How to prove it is another project for WADA.

Trampus
    Free Member

All this is reported on the day Cancellara/ Millar/ Martin enjoy great success. Who grabbed the headlines? It’s all politics/mindfeck.

atlaz
    Free Member

Interesting story from Velonews:

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/5846/German-journalist-claims-UCI-denied-Alberto-Contador-positive-test-says-rider-may-have-received-transfusions.aspx

Summary is a German journalist reckons it’s a blood transfusion and that the UCI are engaged in a coverup. There’s holes in the journo’s story though so it’s hardly damning but it certainly stacks up worse for Contador.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hora
    Free Member

I’m going to stick my head above the parapet here. Sick of the ‘Lance must have been cheating’ yet its Contador that has potentially two issues hushed over then.

scaredypants

jeez, hora – that’s a pretty extreme stance. sure you’ve thought this through? (I mean, you’re a father now, no longer a wild young dude on the edge)

watch your back, man

vinnyeh

Hora, a nice post from Bike Snob NYC here on the issue, and Lemond’s ‘thoughts’.

Lemonds original comments in Cycling News are here.

Am I the only one who thinks he’s a fruitcake?

hora
    Free Member

Lemond must have been peppered in the head in that shooting accident.

Isn’t it funny how a cancer survivor is allowed to have comments, attacked and aspersions levelled at him throughout his career since his survival over his achievements and no one thinks ‘leave off him ffs he hasnt had a positive test so what is your mental problem’?

His critics range from caught-cheats (liers and frauds) to mental cases like Lemond who is bitter huh.

Yet Contador here ‘oh no, dont sully the mans name or achievements’,

**** right off.

scaredypants

that bike snob page is excellent !

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Don’t be so naive Hora.

hora
    Free Member

Ah yes, Lance has been ingesting Space Age chemicals beyond any testers ken.

I imagine the Martians come down and deliver his drugs for him in a big shiny saucer.

Don’t piss on another mans achievements.

crazy-legs

Greg Lemond never misses a chance to get the boot in at Armstrong does he… Tosser.

I’m inclined to give Contador the benefit of the doubt on this though, it doesn’t make any sense why you’d pass earlier drugs test then fail one, taken on a rest day, for TINY (trillionths of a gram) quantities of an easily detectable drug.

Problem is that the drug is on the banned list anyway, there’s no minimum limit or anything so it’s still a positive test. Even with technicalities like food contamination, he should still (in theory) be banned. The only people to benefit from this are going to be the lawyers on both sides, cyclings name is being dragged through the mud again. 🙁

Marmoset
    Free Member

Another thumbs up for the bikesnob page – if WADA/UCI read that they’d probably stop probing this particular case…

hora
    Free Member

I’m inclined to give Contador the benefit of the doubt on this though, it doesn’t make any sense why you’d pass earlier drugs test then fail one, taken on a rest day, for TINY (trillionths of a gram) quantities of an easily detectable drug.

Problem is that the drug is on the banned list anyway, there’s no minimum limit or anything so it’s still a positive test. Even with technicalities like food contamination, he should still (in theory) be banned. The only people to benefit from this are going to be the lawyers on both sides, cyclings name is being dragged through the mud again.

Agree on that with you.

rkk01
    Free Member

This is a good example of why there shouldn’t be a zero limit on blood alcohol for driving.

iDave
    Free Member

LeMond is far from being a fruitcake re’ Armstrong and he’ll be vindicated one day

woody2000

BikeSnob 😆

scaredypants

I’m inclined to give Contador the benefit of the doubt on this though

Not me, guv – sorry

If I was the prized asset of a million-dollar sporting venture and at a critical point in that whole process, someone would be making very bloody sure that I ate exactly the right foods, prepared and sourced under strict controls in order to avoid anything like this happening

If my team had a strong tendency towards paranoia they might also imagine that someone from outside the team might “spike” me with a bit of something on a day when I might get tested, never mind the possibility of food poisoning from eating meat that some geezer has brought with him from Spain that day

(unless it was in a cool box – with the “medical” supplies? 😉 )

crazy-legs

LeMond is far from being a fruitcake re’ Armstrong and he’ll be vindicated one day

Lemond has lots of axes to grind re Armstrong and he just comes across as a slightly bitter, jealous person. Backed up by the fallings out with Trek, LA and various others over the years, in fact Trek had to issue legal proceedings at one point as they handled both Trek and Lemond bikes and the bickering was having negative effects on everyone.

So Lemond never ever doped despite being the 3-times winner of the Tour (86, 89 and 90), a period where everyone was doped up on all sorts, testing was sporadic and ineffective and cover ups were rife. Read Willy Voets book and any number of others to back this up.
    Yet Lance, one of the most tested athlets in the world in a period where cycling was exposed and (started to be) cleaned up was doped up. Riiiiggght. Innocent until proven guilty and at the moment, any court in the world would find Armstrong innocent of any doping charge.

Sorry but Greg Lemond is biased, bitter, jealous and insecure, trying desperately to claw his way back into the limelight after LA stole all his thunder. He’s right about Contador, the situation doesn’t make any sense as I said earlier but yet again he has to open his big mouth and have a dig about Armstrong… Not very helpful really.

vinnyeh

LeMond is far from being a fruitcake

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2lpYnmJOss[/video]

iDave
    Free Member

shocking editing there Vinny

As I said, LeMond will be vindicated

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Yet Lance, one of the most tested athlets in the world

This is bollox and is no indication. Look to the number of USA track and field athlete now known to have cheated but who never failed a test. The US drug cheat docs were one step ahead of the testers all the way

Unfortunately for Armstrong you cannot prove a negative

However the evidence while circumstantial or hearsay and thus not proof in court is enough that I am convinced he was and is a systematic drug cheat.

how many of his team mates ar now known to have cheated? Evidecne of systematic cheating. Plenty more as well.

vinnyeh

shocking editing there Vinny

Surely is.
    What’s your take on it though iDave- with your background, did you see much evidence of how pervasive it was?

hora
    Free Member

How about hes innocent if hes never tested positive?

What a shitty way to have to live your life. Imagine at work people said ‘your probably a fraud and one day we’ll prove it if we find evidence’.

Imagine what it must do to your soul.

To fight and survive a life-threatening disease and comeback stronger yet everyone throws punches at you.

Lemond is an idiot. So does he admit to have won his Tours clean then? Outside the time limits to be stripped of his wins now isn’t he?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hora – look at teh evidence with open eyes – its very obvious what the truth is.

hora
    Free Member

What? About Martians? Yes, I’ve seen Close Encounters of the Third Kind. So those were real alien space craft they used in the movie?

You are insightful indeed.

Those pesky aliens. What next? The moon is made of cheese?

If hes guilty wheres the positive tests? Why do people hate him so much?

brassneck

Wouldn’t evidence be like err… a failed test? Apart from the steroidal cream incident I can’t think of one that is bang to rights, and that was explained presumably to the UCI’s satisfaction if not TJs.

Contador has just been unlucky I’d say, just going by the amount that’s been found. Isn’t it not even over the limit anyway? In which case why does it even make a story?

Just this morning there was a news article supposedly linking household chemicals with cancer.. how could anyone reliably keep themselves 100% unadulterated without living/training in a bubble? Isn’t that the idea of a limit?

crazy-legs

Contador has just been unlucky I’d say, just going by the amount that’s been found. Isn’t it not even over the limit anyway? In which case why does it even make a story?

You’re getting confused about the “limit”
    Found in the body there is NO limit for clenbuterol. If it’s there, in any amount whatsoever, it’s a failed test. Contador has tested positive.

However the amount that was found (50 trillionths of a gram) is 400 times lower than the limit that WADA set for the lab to show it has the test and for it to become an accredited lab.

hora
    Free Member

TJ and Lemond read the National enquirer. FACT.

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

LeMond does manage to come over as a total bellend just about any time he sticks his head over the parapet. I find it pretty wearing that everytime there’s any kind of drug-related story about cycling, up pops Greg to remind us all that he thinks Lance was doping.

The trouble is, knowing that Armstrong’s surpassed LeMond’s achievements in the Tour, and in terms of becoming America’s best known cyclist, it ends up coming across as if he’s bitter at that, and if he’s not, he can’t ‘prove a negative’ any more than Armstrong can. At the end of the day, it seems to me as if LeMond is diminishing both their achievements.

I think the far bigger issue in relation to cycling related doping is why, when it’s glaringly obvious that there’s a culture of doping that involves team management, why the relevant cycling authorities continue to treat this as if doping is an individual choice. It seems to me that if they really want to curtail doping, then they need to put far more pressure on the teams, and ensure that there are meaningful consequences for a team if one or more of their riders are caught doping during the year.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Brassneck / Hora

there is plenty of evidence if you want to look

Non of it is proof. However to me the build up of evidence is enough to be sure he was.

Admitted systematic doping by numerous team mates. Sworn testimony from previous teammate. Several retrospective drugs tests, his own admissions that he used compounds that were not tested for but are now banned. …….The list goes on.

given that he swore that there was no systematic doping in his team but we now know that there was how credible is he?- his sidekick guilty FFS

Bury your head in the sand if you want But I believe he is a systematic doper and I don’t believe anyone has ever won the tour without.

br
    Free Member

<i>i don’t buy this i took it by accident mullarkey. if you are a high level pro it is the responsibility of that pro to check what goes in their gobs. </i>

What, like a King with a body-double who tries their food for poison; and they would then have to test the BD before the Rider can have any? FFS

hora
    Free Member

Sworn testimony from previous teammate

Who was that by the way? Is this the person who was a cheat, a lier and dragged the name of the Tour through the courts?

used compounds that were not tested for but are now banned.

But they weren’t illegal then so I don’t understand why hes bad?

Non of it is proof.

There you go. So its heresay and accusing an innocent man. Nice.

Would you accuse your neighbour of being a drunk driver? On the probability that he holds a driving licence and likes a glass of wine on a Friday night?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Its not all hearsay tho some is. Some is circumstantial and its more than one person with sworn testimony.

You don’t want to believe then its up to you

Anyone who has told what we now know to be lies ( over the doping of his teammates who he defended and who were clearly systematically doping which he must have known) has no credibility

hora
    Free Member

Do you think its fair to attack a mans reputation when hes innocent?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I think its perfectly reasonable to point at the doubts inconsistencies and outright lies.

I don’t believe he is innocent.

hora
    Free Member

Don’t you marvel at his obvious willpower, his success or his ability to survive and then to go on and inspire other cancer suffers?

Even if he was high as a kite on drugs (lets face it I doubt contador has always been 100% clean) – he still beat all the comers didn’t he?

crazy-legs

You’re entitled to your opinion TJ in the same way that Lemond is entitled to his but frankly, posting it on every thread about doping is just as wearing as Lemond popping his head above the parapet every time the subject comes up. I respect your opinion and your entitlement to discuss it but you’re not discussing, you’re just saying it over and over (on a thread that is, in theory, about another cyclist entirely).

There is no FACT in what you are saying, there are suppositions, circumstances, coincidence, rumour, lies and half truths.

Give it a rest.

hora
    Free Member

In addition (has he has said)- after the nasty chemo treatment ‘why would he put more chemicals into his body’?

He has to be very careful what he eats, etc as remission CAN happen.

Do you think he’d put his future health at risk for a bicycle race? He has been to deaths door.

I really don’t like it when people kick down someones achievement. Just returning from cancer that had spread to his brain, bones and testicles then back upto the highest competitive physical sport.

Could we do it? I doubt we’d ride abike much again (if at all) if you or me survived what he did.

Hats off to the man. I have enormous respect for him.

Say he was using drugs after all. I DONT CARE. His drive, survival and campaigning mark him out as a true man to me.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Fair enough crazy legs but I could say the same about your defence of him

the continual repeating of “the most tested athlete” which is just bobbins

I was not the one to bring up Armstrong on this thread. There is plenty of evidence that he is a dope cheat and its a fact he has lied about doping in his team

Edit: I should have left it after ” don’t be naive Hora” tho – in that you are right. Instead I let Hora bait me into replying

hora
    Free Member

So you concede defeat?

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 223 total)

The topic ‘So Alberto tested positive for clenbuterol bronchodilator drug and blames food?’ is closed to new replies.