Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Poll Thread – Bells on your bikes
  • unklehomered
    Free Member

What did you answer?

Mine – No bells. Last bike that came with one I kept it on for a while, tried it. Useless. No one heard it. I also think its a bit tantamount to a Horn in saying “Out of my way”. I know that’s not how it’s meant. Its just a cheery – here I am!

I go for slowing to about twice walking pace, and a cheery, “Good afternoon” about 20/15 metres out – usually followed by “No you don’t need to fling yourselves into the undergrowth, I can go round you I just wanted you to know I was there.”

daleftw
    Free Member

Aye, because I can’t whistle.

Does my head in when cyclists only ding it once. Ding it twice ffs.

Leku
    Free Member

No bell – just Hope hubs…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

No I can shout “DING DONG” or “RING RING” as required, I much prefer a polite excuse me though.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Think I used to go for the double double “dingding – dingding”.

legend
    Free Member

Nope, I just shout “STRAVA!!” After that whatever happens is out of my hands.

edlong
    Free Member

No I can shout “DING DONG” or “RING RING” as required, I much prefer a polite excuse me though.

This.

I took the last bell I had off my bars after it created a surprisingly gory (and painful) gash in my knee following a slightly unplanned stop.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Bells on commuter, singlespeed, fs but not dh bike: I had one on that too but I broke it on an unsceduled ‘rest’ against a tree. 😀

The PDW ‘king of ding’ from charlie the bikemonger is nice, and sounds pleasingly like those antique mantlepiece clocks you get in national trust houses.

ononeorange

No – Hope hubs etc etc as above.

growinglad
    Free Member

All my bikes have em and they get used, I normally slow up and give it a couple dings with as much warning as possible without trying to give the “get out of my way impression”.

Does my nut in though…..every single time they jump, spin, do a twirl as though I’m bearing down on em at warp factor 5 in a juganaught.

Just got used to it now and give a smile and a thank you.

zilog6128

Mine – No bells. Last bike that came with one I kept it on for a while, tried it. Useless. No one heard it. I also think its a bit tantamount to a Horn in saying “Out of my way”. I know that’s not how it’s meant. Its just a cheery – here I am!

This

And this

zippykona

Bells = moral high ground. You can ding politely. I’ve had a real grumpy pants congratulate me on having a bell.
    Sure ,not everyone hears it but it shuts up the where’s your bell brigade.
    As above back pedalling a hope hub normally does the job.

mintimperial

Same as the OP, I have a bell on my commuter but don’t use it cos if you ring it it makes some of the dafter walkers flail around and then leap about two foot in a random direction, usually straight into your path. Slowing down and saying “Hello” works much better.

Hope hubs…

My Hope has lost its click, it’s very annoying, been like that for months. Works fine, but no football-rattle sound effect. Just bought some bits to try to fix it, I think it’s the freehub bearings.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Does my nut in though…..every single time they jump, spin, do a twirl as though I’m bearing down on em at warp factor 5 in a juganaught

Yeah, I think they see bike and just react before actually taking in what the bike is doing. I find it all the more entertaining to slow right down. Call out greeting, watch them run to the side of the road/ climb the nearest tree/hold on to each other and kiss the children goodbye. And then have to wait while I continue to slowly tootle towards them. Finally many seconds later, missing them by 4 or 5 yards. All the while looking puzzled at their behaviour, while they begin to look embarrassed.

Its the little things in life. 😆

zilog6128

the where’s your bell brigade.

If I get this I just ask them where their rear view mirror is, then pull a wheelie and zoom off. Normally shuts them up. 🙂

gusamc
    Free Member

I tend to shout dring dring or bike behind, mostly works.

Have been earholed by ramblers for not havin a bell and gf has been earholed for having a bell – not having a bell saves weight…….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Bells = moral high ground. You can ding politely. I’ve had a real grumpy pants congratulate me on having a bell.

Some obnoxious organised rambler type had a go at me on the keswick railway line, a good distance away I politely called out Excuse Me/Do you mind (as they were blocking the entire path) that I was coming and could I get through. He turned round an pointed shouting Bike Bike to all who could hear. Then said I should have a bell, as I was going slow I explained that I though Excuse me was more polite….

Mister-P
    Free Member

Bells on the redways of Milton Keynes are a waste of time. Everyone seems to be wandering around in a technohaze with earphones in and staring at their smartphones completely oblivious to the outside world.

TooTall
    Free Member

Bell on all bikes. Annoys the vindictive pedestrians and the cyclists who are too cool for bells, so win win.

Shouting at people to let them know you are there is so uncouth. A gentleman should warn with a bell.

Moe

Sing Neil Diamond songs at the top of my voice! …. then would have good reason to panic!

portlyone

I’m too coo… oh

Hope hubs and the ability to communicate (not necessarily clearly).

ell_tell
    Free Member

I was planning on buying one for the commuter on my lunch break today.

I also once got told off by walkers for not having a bell whilst riding on the Ashton Court trails in Bristol…

Are they all shared use around there or just certain trails?

annebr
    Free Member

I’ve got a great ding dong bell on one of my bikes. It’s such a happy noise no-one leaps away in horror or fear.

It’s usually gets greeted with smiles. 🙂

unklehomered
    Free Member

Annoys the vindictive … cyclists who are too cool ….

I have spokey dokies on my wheels for that. :mrgreen:

z1ppy

Bells just make them turn round, still blocking the path, and just look at you… wtf is the point of that? It’s bell, do you not understand what a bell is for?

So now I just say hello, as I approach and ignore the “where your bell” comments.

pdV6
    Free Member

ell_tell
    I also once got told off by walkers for not having a bell whilst riding on the Ashton Court trails in Bristol…

Are they all shared use around there or just certain trails?
    Shared bits are signed as such.

Still causes a certain tightening of the sphincter when rounding a tree at speed on a non-shared section to discover ramblers/runners/dogs etc coming the other way.

jonba
    Free Member

I say excuse me if I need to get past. Like I would do if I was walking or running.

However, sometimes speed differential is much greater. In these instances a simple shout of “strava!” lets them know I’m on an important segment.

yunki
    Free Member

I’ve always used a bell when in town, but I’m considering getting a horn this time around..

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’d rather barge the old dears into the canal than look uncool and ruin my expensive Niner carbon handlebars.

unklehomered
    Free Member

The water provides a soft landing, and the swimming is good for elderly joints. That’s some considerate thinking there actually.

soundninjauk

No bell on the commuter or the mtb. MTB has hope hubs on it though.

fasthaggis

No bell,I use a whistle and ‘excuse me’ on the commute.
    If they are plugged in and don’t hear I slow right down and wait till they notice me.
    I don’t mind going slow on the shared path bits,just in case they have a dog.

eshershore
    Free Member

loud bell on my commuter, use it in London all the time, very useful to alert dopey pedestrians who step off the pavement without looking

not on the MTB or Road bike though as both have Hope hubs and a quick freewheel is very effective…

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Actually, it’s a requirement to have a bell on the canal, I should add. Altho, not sure who would enforce it these days.

antigee

damned if you do, damned if you don’t
    mostly a waste of time but yes

edit PS i’ve had a horn on but not sure if clears my passage

richmtb

I took my bell off as everyone ignored it and it tinkled non stop when ever I rode over rough ground – like the roads in Glasgow.

I just say hello or excuse me on shared paths. Mind you recently really squealy brakes have proved remarkable effective too

dabble
    Free Member

“Shift thee sen!”

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Used one all the time while guiding in France.

Got one on the SS that I did use while night riding locally.

Not got one on the main bike because I don’t want to ruin the otherwise svelte lines. 😐

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

shout at the buggers, on yer left, on yer right, or move! works a treat for me.

cakefacesmallblock

This !

The bell supplied at the bikeshop sits in the house. My Missus rings it to signal that a sandwich or cuppa is ready , if I’m in the garage fettling.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Poll Thread – Bells on your bikes’ is closed to new replies.