Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Pole vs Stanton or anyone else ??
  • toomuchtime
    Free Member

Hi

I’ve got the go ahead to purchase a Pole but the Stanton is the same price and I’m torn between the two ,Pole will take 142 and 148 rear so future wise looks good but I’ve got a soft spot for British
    I’m running 27.5 x 2.8
    Any assistance would be great
    Ta

singlespeedstu

Which Pole and which Stanton?

toomuchtime
    Free Member

Taival and slackline

monkeyboyjc

Personally, just on brand I’d go Stanton, British and I like their future proofing ethos. But with that sort of cash/investment I’d want to ride both first and put final decision down to that.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I have a Taival.

They say it’s up for 27.5 plus, but even then it’ll be 9-12mm ish lower on the bottom bracket. Seeing as its pretty bloody low anyway, I think it would be too low for anything except pure flow trails.

You should go for the Slackline.

honourablegeorge

Taival and Slackline are totally different geometry, aren’t they? Switchback would be a closer equivalent to the Taival.

Stanton have the option of different dropouts also

tall_martin

Which will turn up on time, which will be less hassle to deal with if it breaks?

I wanted a tarvial, procrastinated, the price kept nudging up and the delivery dates kept slipping back. I didn’t want to by a “drop” I wanted to buy a frame that was on stock.

I ended up with a 2nd hand sick. It’s what on one are selling as the hello Dave. Mine rides great, I’m sure either of your options would as well.

You, depending on the price, might be able to get 18 bikes in hope to build you a custom frame

honourablegeorge

LOLing a the idea that you had concerns about Pole’s lead times and customer service so you went for a Sick instead 🙂 (I know, it was second hand)

toomuchtime
    Free Member

That’s the Pole off the list then

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Taival and Slackline are totally different geometry, aren’t they?

Not so different now the mark 3 slackline is out.

The Taival is really well constructed, with nearly all the tubes subtly manipulated too, but Pole were slow to respond to comms and suffered delivery slippage too, so I can understand where tall_martin is coming from.

toomuchtime
    Free Member

It’s more what Scienceofficer said regards the bb that makes me wary of a Pole now

hatter

The 18’s are very much designed for 29″ or non-plus 27.5″… but they are ace and you definately add them to the list.

See if you can borrow a demo one.

toomuchtime
    Free Member

Thanks hatter but my wheels are 142×12 and the 18s are 148×12 ,I like the look of a Soma but again 148×12 rear

renton
    Free Member

What about an Orange P7 29

felixm
    Free Member

I ride my XL Taival on 27.5s all summer in the Peak District. No issues with the BB being low.

pickle
    Free Member

Slackline is a superb frame and the guys at Stanton are brilliant.

As as someone has said you can get different dropouts for them so boost or non boost 👍👍

mattvanders
    Free Member

Both the pole and Stanton can be run with boost and non boost hubs. Have heard mixed reviews on pole and their customer service from people on the Geometron fb page when looking at changing to of something with similar geometry.

reeksy

Definitely the Stanton if you’re concerned about warranty issues, ease of returns, etc.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Between the two, I’d probably avoid both.

I own a Pole Taival and it’s incredible, but I bought it second hand and €900 is way too much for what it is (being a hard tail frame made in Taiwan).

As for the Stanton, my friend’s experience of spending months being fobbed off to finally be sent a frame that wasn’t straight and had parts missing from the rear shock when it arrived would put me off buying anything from them. It certainly took the shine off purchasing what was supposed to be a dream bike for him.

My friend has just bought a Pace. It’s proper lovely and £300 cheaper than a Pole would be. As for your concern regarding having a 142mm hub, could you not just use a spacer kit?

mutepoint
    Free Member

Have read on the web reports of Pole’s substandard cs for their fully frames that have alignment and linkage issues.

Personally I would avoid.

Equally I wouldn’t bother with Stanton as there are plenty of options around that cost few £££ less that are equally kick ass if not opening up your choices for what it is you are truly seeking.

dickydutch

Pace 529/627?

mutepoint
    Free Member

Mmmmm Pace mmm

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

€900 is way too much for what it is (being a hard tail frame made in Taiwan).

I do wonder if they’ve put the price up to curb demand. The production batches been persitently sold out prior to actually building them.

As you say, its an incredible bike, but it’s for sure too expensive now for what it is. It was right on the limits of acceptability for me when it was €700.

longmover
    Free Member

How about a Chromag Rootdown?

honourablegeorge

Scienceofficer

I do wonder if they’ve put the price up to curb demand.

Possibly – it’s FIVE THOUSAND ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY euro for a Stamina frame now

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Wow. Ive never looked at their FS frames – they do nothing for me and even a short period spent on the user group throws up what seems like a disproportionate amount of discussion about worn pivots and mis-alignment.

If I was spending that kind of money I go straight to a geometron.

honourablegeorge

Scienceofficer

If I was spending that kind of money I go straight to a geometron.

Two Geometrons, if you’re spending that kind of money.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Pole vs Stanton or anyone else ??’ is closed to new replies.