Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 106 total)
  • Please settle a work argument
  • tthew

Well, that appears to have settled your work argument successfully! 😁

franksinatra

Shower every evening before bed, I feel dirty and don’t sleep as well if I don’t shower first. Also means I’m sparkly clean should any grown up cuddles occur….

My kids have been taught bath or shower every single day, without exception. They haven’t missed a day in their lives. I think its manky not to. You only need a quick 1min scrub so not really wasteful

I’m genuinely surprised at the amount of people posting who don’t shower every day.

tjagain

tinas – are you a weegie?

winston
    Free Member

Hmmm glad I’m not the only one then. I only shower if I’ve done excercise or feel dirty. I also haven’t used shampoo for about 20 years. I don’t wash my clothes after every wear either unless its bike kit.

My wife and children (who shower every day) and plenty of other people have said I small quite nice!  I do have dry skin and this is one reason – its got a lot better since stopped using lots of soap and shampoo.

My work colleague thinks its disgusting but even though I cycled 20 miles in this morning and he drove I still smell less than he does!  (I will be having a shower when I get home!)

Not brushing teeth is one thing that I can’t fathom – twice a day without fail

trailwagger
    Free Member

I will tell you what is weird. My wife’s new habit of brushing her teeth whilst in the shower, that’s weird.

molgrips
    Free Member

Of course you should wash every day otherwise you stink of either BO or some gawdaful stuff to mask your BO

You might, I don’t.

You could be washing away your healthy skin biome by showering every day.

I got some Pit Rock alum crystal deodorant a while back. At first I thought it was rubbish, because my pits stank. But I kept at it, and they stopped stinking. Now, I only use it every few days and I rarely stink – but I do smell a bit randomly at odd times if I go more than a couple of days. If I use normal deodorant though I reek 24hours later. So I think it’s a question of bacterial balance. Over-washing seems to reduce the competing bacteria more than the stink producing ones.

kerley
    Free Member

Well growing up in the 50s and 60s it was a bath once a week.

I grew up in the 70’s and usually had a bath once or maybe twice a week.

I definitely don’t need to shower everyday and never do.

tjagain

molgrips – your nose just became accustomed to the stink! 😉

ayjaydoubleyou

I’m deviating from the question, but I find it a bit worrying that even on a bike forum (where you think we would self select for fitness/health) there are a number of people that are going many days without any sort of meaningful exercise. (I do agree on the shower =/= wash though, pits and bits with soap and a flannel may be adequate for a number of situations, saving time and water)

WFH and supermarket delivery are meaning people are going days without even stepping outside.

Long term NHS impact as yet unseen?

lunge

I will tell you what is weird. My wife’s new habit of brushing her teeth whilst in the shower, that’s weird.

See, I’d have agreed with you in the past but I’ve starting doing it and it’s a revelation. Less mess, less chance of tooth paste being left around your mouth and you stand under a warm shower whilst doing it.
    It’s the way forward.

hels
    Free Member

You don’t brush your teeth in the shower? It is so much more efficient – what else do you do as you wait for the conditioner to work? (actually don’t answer that!)

DezB
    Free Member

I could not shower for a week and I wouldn’t smell. But I do pretty much every day cos I exercise every day. Days that I don’t exercise, depends how sweaty my nuts feel.
    Its only weird not to if you are one of those whiffy types.

kerley
    Free Member

there are a number of people that are going many days without any sort of meaningful exercise

The only exercise I enjoy is cycling. All other forms of exercise bore me. I cycle every Sat/Sun and fairly often one day mid week so am usually 4 days a week without any meaningful exercise.
    I would take a guess that I ride my bike more than the majority of people on this bike forum…

dc1988

If I’ve done any exercise then I absolutely have to shower before bed, and I’m agreed with the having to brush teeth twice a day without fail. Luckily it’s only my teeth that might rot if I don’t clean them daily.

corroded
    Free Member

I don’t shower every day*. Never wear deodorant. Definitely don’t smell.

* I probably do in the summer and always immediately after exercise. It seems that some people just reek without any effort whereas others don’t get BO, I’m the latter.

sadexpunk

Stop pissing before you put your todger away

im in my 50s, if i were to wait for the last drip before putting said todger away, id never be out the bog…..

p7eaven
    Free Member

Yes weird

(unless you live in a cold environment, don’t exercise, and have self-cleaning crevices)

doomanic

Electric toothbrush? She may not be brushing her teeth…

matt_outandabout

Yes every day.

benp1

TBH – very surprised at the number of folks not showering every day

I’m not doing much exercise these days (aside from walking the dog) and I still shower every day

slowoldman

I think the washing everyday has only really become normalised once everyone got access to cheap (reasonably) unlimited hot water.

Indeed. Before the amazing invention of the immersion heater the only way to get hot water for a bath was the coal fire. That certainly wouldn’t be lit every day during the summer, so a stand up wash was the norm. Dad got a shower every day but he needed it and it was free at the pithead baths when he came up after his shift. I’m certainly not knocking anyone who enjoys showering twice a day but it doesn’t make you healthier or more hygienic.

funkmasterp

I’m in the every morning and additional after exercise camp. I just feel all types of wrong if I don’t grab a shower first thing. I’ll wear jeans until they start moving of their own accord though. Just chuck them in the freezer overnight and wash when needed.

nickc

One of my pals was a Instructor in the RAF, he was the bloke you see in all those programmes shouting at Parades.  Most of his time was taken up with teaching boys how to shower, brush their teeth properly, iron clothes, and so on. Just day to day admin.

Blackflag
    Free Member

Hmmmm

I’m clearly unhygienic

Must do better

BoardinBob

If you don’t shower every day, you’re an absolute tramp.

donald
    Free Member

TJ

You know that long distance walk you’ve planned round Scotland, or that month long cycle tour round Europe or that big mountain in Soth America.

Good luck with the daily showers 🙂

johnx2
    Free Member

Good time saver with the option always there of triple tasking…

funkmasterp

I also brush my teeth in the shower. Sometimes I’ll have a wee too.

chrispo
    Free Member

In the evening before sex, in the morning after sex, and at least every other day after other forms of exercise = about 2.5 times a day 🤷‍♂️

DrP

I don’t really care what YOU do..
    But I shower every day (if i can…). I don’t feel fresh or awake unless i’ve had a shower.
    I’ll have a shower before a long bike ride, tehn one after too…
    I just feel rough if i don’t shower!

DrP

johnx2
    Free Member

In the evening before sex, in the morning after sex, and at least every other day after other forms of exercise = about 2.5 times a day 🤷‍♂️

what about during? is anyone else involved?

Cougar

As some others have said, not showering is not synonymous with not washing at all.

I had a hurried shower before the quiz on Weds and it occurred to me, it’s the first time I’ve actually had a shower since moving in here four months ago. I didn’t even possess a shower at all until maybe ten years ago.

Minging? I have a bath every few days, I like a good long soak with a bit of music, a podcast or an audiobook playing (I do use the shower for a final rinse-off of suds before getting out), and I have a strip-wash at the sink every morning.

tjagain

Donald – yup – I will just be stinking then as with every ” non wash” adventure. Its nice to have a train compartment to yourself on returning

chakaping
    Free Member

Be honest OP, does “work argument” actually mean “HR grievance” in this instance?

what else do you do as you wait for the conditioner to work?

What is this “conditioner” you speak of?

I’m also in the “shower every morning or I don’t feel awake” camp, but I’m often in and out in about three minutes – soap, lather, rinse, done. Wash my small amount of hair once or twice a week, with a tiny blob of shampoo.

p7eaven
    Free Member

What about when you shave, shower, get dressed and then want a poo? Always seems to happen before weddings and funerals or before cycling to work.

#annoyingthings
    #evenafixedclockiswrongonceaday

bridges
    Free Member

What is this western obsession with being ‘clean’? Never understood it. Too regular washing is bad for your skin anyway. And whilst bad BO isn’t nice, neither is the overwhelming chemical stench I encounter whenever I make one of my rare trips by Tube. Deodorant is truly nasty stuff, I can’t understand why anyone would want to put such noxious chemicals on their bodies. Showering daily, unless it’s high summer and you sweat a lot, is unnecessary. Being bothered by other people’s natural smell, is just weird, in my opinion. Shows how much we’ve become conditioned to being repulsed by that, and how much people are influenced by the marketing of ‘personal hygiene’ products.

tjagain

Bridges – the chemical smelling bunch are not the same as the shower every day bunch! ( or not always). I don’t use any antiperspirant / deodorant and I don’t smell – because I am clean having had a shower or bath at least once per day!

chakaping
    Free Member

What is this western obsession with being ‘clean’?

What is this western obsession with having a nice cup of tea in the morning too? How benighted and lost we are, please do show us the path to enlightenment, oh wise guru.

bridges
    Free Member

“What is this western obsession with having a nice cup of tea in the morning too? How benighted and lost we are, please do show us the path to enlightenment, oh wise guru.”

Sorry? Most westerners drink coffee. Tea is only really popular in the UK. The UK is only a tiny part of the ‘west’. So drinking tea is hardly a ‘western obsession’…

cromolyolly
    Free Member

How times have changed. Napoleon wrote to his wife, home in a week, don’t wash. Used to be the ‘muricans who were obsessed with the cleanliness being next to godliness thing. If you stop showering everyday with detergents that destroy yout skin’s natural defences you’ll stop smelling ripe after a few hours. Except for stress sweat, or garlic.
    Ditto clothes. No need to wash the outer layers everytime you wear them unless they have visible dirt.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘Please settle a work argument’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM