Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)
  • Please settle a work argument
  • winston
    Free Member

Showers…

Is it weird not to shower everyday?  (assuming you haven’t been doing sweaty excercise or hard labour obviously)

Opinion is divided on the matter here

molgrips
    Free Member

No, not weird at all, and possibly beneficial in my view.

kelron
    Free Member

No but I’ve learned people have very different opinions on what the word ”shower” means and how often you should do it. I’ve seen apparently serious claims that you should shower twice a day or after every trip outside.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Have a sauna and towel away the fresh sweat is better that showering and removing much of the skins natural oils etc. Still need to shower every few days to clean hair, armpit, grotties etc properly

chestrockwell

Not really, as long as you change your clothes. I do but wouldn’t panic if I didn’t get chance.

perchypanther
    Free Member

It’d be weird for me. Not weird at all for my 11 year old son if I let him get away with it.

Weird is just a name we use for someone elses normal.

Flaperon

Is it weird not to shower everyday?

If you work from home, no. If you work with other people, yes.

nickjb
    Free Member

Waste of water to shower every day IMO. If you are doing something active then yes, shower, but if you’ve done very little then there is little need. Depends on the individual of course but once every couple of days will keep you clean.

tjagain

Gawd some manky folk on here. Of course you should wash every day otherwise you stink of either BO or some gawdaful stuff to mask your BO

tpbiker
    Free Member

Gawd some manky folk on here. Of course you should wash every day otherwise you stink of either BO or some gawdaful stuff to mask your BO

If I’ve been sitting round the house doing nothing then I don’t smell after a day! It must just be you Edinburgh folks..

Davesport

Why do you think 96 hour deodorant exists? For manky grotbags that have an aversion to soap & water. It’s given me an idea for a new product. Underpants, non stick, reversible & stain resist :o) There’s a market.

lamp
    Free Member

Absolutely, one first thing in the morning whether working from home or not! Basic hygiene! Another after exercise.

theordinaryathlete
    Free Member

not weird to go a day or so, providing you have been relatively in active.

dc1988

Only if you’re dirty. I once went on a walking holiday to the Scottish Highlands with my cousin and his student friends, one of them didn’t shower for the whole week but didn’t smell at all. I’m showering less whilst working from home and it’s helping my usually dry skin.

People who feel the need to shower every day are probably the type to wash their clothes after every wear.

stumpy01

tjagain

Washing does not necessarily = showering. You can have a wash with a basin of water & a flannel.
    I often think that I shower far too often & should think about whether I actually need one, or just have a wash instead.
    Showering is quite wasteful of water, compared to having a wash.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Why would you not ?

It’s a pleasure.

joepud
    Free Member

Agree, its like saying if I don’t eat anything for a day do I still need to brush my teeth, the answer to that is also yes.

nickjb
    Free Member

Why would you not ?

It’s a pleasure.

I love a good shower. It is a treat to stay in a hotel where they have mega water pressure, but it is a waste of water. A simple wash will often do the basics without the waste of having a full shower. This may be another one of those eco blind spots on here to add to wood burners, coffee machines, and pets 🙂

Trimix
    Free Member

No, its a waste of water. If you are not getting dirty and sweaty you don’t need to.
    Sitting about at home, or even in an office – you are not getting dirty.

onewheelgood

We wash both ourselves and our clothes far more than is needed for hygiene reasons. It’s a waste of water and energy, introduces a lot of dubious chemicals into the environment, and for most people it involves a lot of single use plastic. It’s yet another thing we will have to rethink if we want a sustainable lifestyle.

tillydog
    Free Member

Is it weird not to shower everyday?

A “no” from me.

Massive waste of water & unnecessary use of soaps & unguents.

I do consider it a bit weird to shower more than once a day though (unless required due to becoming all hot and sweaty for some reason, or being contaminated with ordure of some sort).

lunge

It’s weird for me, I shower twice a day, once in a morning and once in the afternoon after exercise.
    But when I was less active, I would miss the odd day.

sadexpunk

i also think i could get away with going a couple of days without, but i dont. i dont tend to suffer with BO at all, however…… surely theres a case for showering daily to ensure the er…. ‘residue’ and odours in the nether regions from numerous number 1’s and number 2’s are completely eradicated? #pisspatch #hairybotty

james-rennie

For me, showering and exercise are closely linked.
    In the last year, since working from home every day, if I’ve had a good sweat running or cycling I’ll have a shower.
    But there’s a bit more to it than that, I’m now actually using the need for a shower as motivation to get out on the bike, and delaying showering if, for example, I’ve got a longer ride/run planned for the weekend.
    I lost my sense of smell about 10 years ago, and I don’t think I’ve been stinky since then.

Me and wife used to do hot yoga together (before we had children) and the instructor said he never washed with water, he would just rub himself all over with his own sweat, then dry off. However, he was mad.

doris5000

Not weird. Especially in the winter, when you’ve spent all day sat at a desk and not done any exercise, or broken sweat

But I do know some people who sweat at the drop of a hat, so it probably depends on the individual

Superficial
    Free Member

Yeah, at least daily for me. Plus extra after exercise.

I wouldn’t be all judgey about people who did it less than that, unless I could tell from their look / smell, though.

Trimix
    Free Member

It must be a first world thing, when I went to school in Zimbabwe, where its hot and we payed outside all day we would have a bath once or twice a week. That was normal. We didn’t smell, neither did our clothes.

Same when I lived in the Middle East in the 70’s. TBH, it was so hot there nothing got manky, it was way too dry.

I spent 3 weeks riding a motorcycle across Morocco, no water and no washing – we were fine and not smelly.

tillydog
    Free Member

surely theres a case for showering daily to ensure the er…. ‘residue’ and odours in the nether regions from numerous number 1’s and number 2’s are completely eradicated?

Stop pissing before you put your todger away & wipe your backside properly.

HTH 😉

slowoldman

Well growing up in the 50s and 60s it was a bath once a week. Whether I needed it or not! I’m not aware that people smell less these days.

nickc

@slowoldman
    beat me to it, I remember as a child having a bath every Sunday regardless of how much running about or grassy knees i had in the mean time. I think the washing everyday has only really become normalised once everyone got access to cheap (reasonably) unlimited hot water. Which would be in the last 80 years or so (at a guess)

Pieface

When I was based in an office I’d shower in the morning, put fresh running clothes on, run up to 8 miles in to work, wet wipe or flannel wipe of arms, anti-perspirant and clean clothes. I was always honest with colleagues and said I’d take no offence if they told me i was smelly. No-one has ever said anything, so guess I either don’t smell or they’re too polite. But as I’ve given them the option to object its their problem.

Daffy

I shower everyday, but then I exercise almost every day too. I also have a very acute sense of smell, so my stinky 9 year old also showers every day. It doesn’t need to be a long shower. 5 mins is more than adequate for doing shampoo, conditioner (if required) and all over body soap.

Ever since the kids started nursery, we’ve been stripping them as soon as they return home and putting them straight in the shower.

Sort of like a chemical strip for radiation, but a bit less severe 🙂

tjagain

When you stink from not showering y9our nose no longer registers your own smell!

Manky ruddy lot!

nbt

I shower after exercise, but if I’m not out for a ride or something then I’ll shower in the evening before going to bed. I stink though.

reluctantjumper

Shower every day for me. I struggle to sleep if I haven’t, I just feel dirty and I definitely have to change the bedsheets more often if I miss a day. I’m not particularly sweaty though, just tend to do some form of exercise every day and work was always physical with a cycle commute too.

jimmy

When in the office I’d shower every day.

Since lockdown, I’ve gone 3 days without showers – usually a combination of “I’ll just log on, check in than shower” which turns into 7 hours later “Eh… I was going to have a shower….” and / or “I intend to go for a run at lunchtime so I’ll have a shower after that”, turning into “eh… I was going to go for a run… cba to run (or shower) now”

EDIT: I don’t think I’m a very smelly person so can get away with this, albeit I end up feeling “a bit ming” myself so have to self enforce a shower at some point.

Yak

If you are not stinking then fine. But if you get a bit sweaty everyday then, yeah have a shower. Keep it quick though – 2mins max. No need to be wasteful of water and fuel.

Hair washing is another argument. I reckon once a week is fine. Definitely no need to overdo hair washing unless it’s really muddy.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Several years ago ago, scientists discovered that a gene called ABCC11 determined whether people produced wet or dry earwax. Interestingly, people who produce the “dry” version of earwax also lack a chemical in their armpits that bacteria feed on to cause underarm odor.

http://www.scientificamerican.com › article
    People without Gene for Underarm Odor Still Wear Deodorant

Apparently you smelly lot that shower every day are just less evolved.

P-Jay
    Free Member

‘Weird’ really comes down to personal preference really. I hate not showering in the morning, but my body is ruined and it loosens me up. Mrs showers in the evening which is handy. My 6 year old enjoys water about as much as a domestic cat so we have to wrestle her into the bath twice a week.

Obviously personal hygiene is important to your health, but you don’t need to shower every day if you don’t want to, showers being a relatively modern thing in human terms, my parents generation mostly had a weekly bath.

A lot of our behaviour comes from fear mongering ads for deodorants etc and I suppose the real world problem of getting used to smells, I personally don’t mind smelling sweaty after I’ve been on my bike or Gym or whatever, there’s a sense of achievement, but it doesn’t take long for the bacteria to grow and then it becomes BO and you can smell that shit from a mile off and it’s horrible.

redmex
    Free Member

I agree with tj manky and mingin, I remember a maths teacher who never washed ,reeked of Ming, wore his jammies under his tweed suit as we could see the paisley pattern at the cuffs. His tie could have been used as a stock cube with all the food stains on it
    His straggly beard with crumbs danglin and swept over hairstyle traumatized us 45 years ago
    So yes minimum shower once a day

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘Please settle a work argument’ is closed to new replies.