Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Please recommend a 140mm 29er
  • chevychase

Target price as close to £2500 as you can get.

Asking for a friend, I’ve not been in the market for a new bike for a long time. I have a HT and Enduro – so my knowledge of this particular flavour is limited.

I have noticed that weight of bikes has been creeping up recently so “light” should potentially be added to the specs.

FS Trail bike is the name of the game tho.

chakaping
    Free Member

Could you assist your friend in buying a high-quality secondhand bike?

For example – I have a nice Orange Stage 6 for sale, well under budget. 150mm travel but feels like a bit less and very light & fun.

With the price increases for new bikes, I’m a bit stumped for a light option at that price.

argee

Norco Optic is decent, if he fits a medium then Tredz have a decent one for sale https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Norco-Optic-C3-29-Mountain-Bike-2021-Trail-Full-Suspension-MTB_238981.htm

weeksy

Trek fuel ex9.8 full carbon, bars, frame, rear triangle, wheels.

Light, fast epic.

It’s not quite £2500 and not quite new. Bit damn close lol

joebristol

@weeksy you can’t be selling the Trek already!

To the op – that Optic above probably can’t be beaten at that price. Decent carbon front triangle, decent spec, decent shock and decent geometry.

You can remove ‘light’ from your list of requirements if buying new at £2500.

Things that may come close to budget:

Bird Aether 9a
    Nukeproof reactor 290 alloy
    Vitus Escarpe 29
    Sonder Cortex / Evol 29

If weeksy is genuinely selling his barely used Fuel Ex for £2500 and it’s the right size I’d snap his arm off for it though.

weeksy

Hey woah, I never said it was £2500 lol. I said it wasn’t quite £2500.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Oh don’t be a spoilsport. It’d be perfect for his needs.

joebristol

@weeksy yeah don’t be a spoil sport – you’d be helping out a fellow rider and giving him something pretty light for the price 🤣

lightfighter762
    Free Member

The optic would be better, just not sure about Uk support. Dh shock, fast riding up and down. Can handle a bit of park riding. They ride great. On the C3 later just upgrade the flexy stock wheels.

funkmasterp

I said it wasn’t quite £2500.

Sold for £2400!

lightfighter762
    Free Member

What a deal.

nedrapier

On the C3 later just upgrade the flexy stock wheels.

Stans Flow?

lightfighter762
    Free Member

Yeah S1. Maybe they will be fine if a light, smooth rider.

chevychase

Ta. I’d have recommended the norco but he’ll be a size large frame.

That Bird Aether looks pretty damn spanky.

joebristol

Bird are a really good uk company to deal with too. I had the 650b Aether as my last bike and loved it. If they’d been I stock at the time I’d have got the Aether 9 but ended up with something more like a Bird AM9 in the end on impulse from a local bike shop (also an ace bike – but nearer enduro than trail).

woodlikesbikes
    Free Member

Trek Fuel Ex 5 is close to that price I think. Looks like a good starting place for upgrades.
    Mate picked up a 2019 Ex 9.8 for £1700 last month off eBay.

weeksy

https://www.balfesbikes.co.uk/bikes/mountain-bikes/ex-demo-trek-fuel-ex-98-mens-full-suspension-mountain-bike-large-2020-in-miami-green__31811

That’s mine… apart from a front chainguide (one-up) and a pair of DHRs. The bike is awesome and light as anything. As others will have seen though, i had my head turned a bit at BPW last week with the Specialized Status and that’s what i’d go for if i sold this one. The Trek was bought as a fast Enduro race bike, but the Enduro racing got canned, so i’d be happy going to something a bit slacker and heavier again.

I wouldn’t go less than £2800 though.

According to my scales its 13.01kg.

intheborders
    Free Member

The Trek was bought as a fast Enduro race bike, but the Enduro racing got canned, so i’d be happy going to something a bit slacker and heavier again.

FFS just ride the bike you own.

weeksy

FFS just ride the bike you own.

I do… in the past week i’ve been to FoD, Afan, and BPW, along with local riding, what’s your point caller ?

johnnystorm

Recommend your own bike time…

Sonder Evol.

GX version is £2700 though but NX, Deore, etc also available. I’ve enjoyed riding it in the Peaks and around Thetford so it’s not a one-trick pony.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.