• This topic has 108 replies, 57 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by sbob.
Viewing 29 posts - 81 through 109 (of 109 total)
  • Planning on getting drunk. Gin content.
  • hughjengin
    Free Member

Edit: it has to be lime, not lemon.

Double Edit: Lime is better than Lemon for sure, but what has been a revelation to me in my snobbery quest for the perfect G&T (and I have done more than is probably advisable)is to do away with either and have a slice of cucumber.
    Sounds absurd but apparently it has been done this way in some of the finer establishments for a long time, and I was convinced of it by a rather experienced cocktail guy. Completely changes the ball game. if you haven’t tried it, please do so immediately (unless its 10am) You’ll never go back.
    Citrus seems to mask the inherent hashness effectively by adding a harshness of its own that disguises. However cucumber seems to completely take away the harshness and create something delicate and fragrant that lifts the whole thing.
    I scoffed when it was first put in front of me, by said cocktail guy, but it was an instant “whoooah I have been doing it wrong all these years” sort of moment

bikebouy
    Free Member

Shirley all this tosh about Gin and what to drink it with is moot, just open a bottle of cheap Supermarket Gin thats over 40% and slam a straw in it.. 🙄

MrNutt
    Free Member

STOP!

you are all doing it wrong.

This IS the best gin in the world.

Tarquins Gin

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cynic-al
    Free Member

I’m not sure if cucumber is all that, though it is nice. Only tried it with Hendricks and the rank Gordon’s cucumber stuff.

Gordon’s is rank, I can’t drink it any more, I like Bombay Sapphire, IIRC Tanquery is nice also.

hughjengin
    Free Member

I’m not sure if cucumber is all that, though it is nice

Yep in hindsight, I probably over sold the cucumber thing 🙂 But it has improved what was already my favourite tipple.
    +1 on Bombay Saph and Tanquerey

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Hotel I used to stay at in Barcelona regularly (Hotel Me) had a maddening approach to G&T serving. Each gin had to have a slightly different something or other in the glass. Half a grape and a sliver of ginger, a sprig of thyme and a slice of apple. That sort of thing. Annoying.

Not as annoying as once asking the barman if he had any local beer on tap and being greeted with the response, “Amstel?”

cynic-al
    Free Member

Not as annoying as once asking the barman if he had any local beer on tap and being greeted with the response, “Amstel?”

You’re so singletrackworld.com!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😀

AdamW
    Free Member

The Aldi one has won awards and I like it. Ice and a slice for me.

scotsman
    Free Member

Caorunn with fever tree and large chunk of lime squeezed, or mint bashed around a bit, or cucumber if that’s your thing.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Hotel I used to stay at in Barcelona regularly (Hotel Me) had a maddening approach to G&T serving. Each gin had to have a slightly different something or other in the glass. Half a grape and a sliver of ginger, a sprig of thyme and a slice of apple. That sort of thing. Annoying.

Doesn’t sound awful, quite normal to use a garnish that reflects the botanicals in the gin. Gin Mare needs a savoury garnish like an olive or basil leaf.

tomkerton
    Free Member

My vote is for Bombay. But then I get it cheap at work.

Lime. And +1 for Fevertree tonic.

Drac

Completely changes the ball game. if you haven’t tried it, please do so immediately (unless its 10am) You’ll never go back.

Tried a few years back and went back Lime or Lemon, rather unsurprising the tasteless cucumber added nothing.

Jamie
    Free Member

Just for the update, finalising order for tomorrow now.

Tanqueray is in the basket.

tom200

Burnsides is a great way of getting drunk as you (I) only need a couple.

Last time I got one in the pub it was £20!
    Ingredients:

2 parts Gin
    2 parts Martini bianco (dry)
    1 part Martini rosso (sweet)
    1 teaspoon Cherry brandy
    2 drops Angostura bitters
    Lemon rind
    10 Ice cubes

I add 2 extra parts of vodka to bring the alcohol content closer to the weekly recommended amount 😆

ww.drinkaware.co.uk

Clobber
    Free Member

I do similar to tom200 but without the crap…

2 parts Gin
    2 parts Dry Martini or Vermouth
    1 part Sweet Martini
    Lime and Ice

Proper loopy juice!

Drac

Good choice Jamie now find some Fetnemen’s you’ll thank me.

Jamie
    Free Member

I should add it’s not the fancy No 10 one, just the regular Tanqueray.

Drac

Don’t worry that’s fine too way better than Gordon’s.

crispycross
    Free Member

Gordon’s might be getting a slating here but a few years ago, along with a couple of mates who declared themselves to be gin connoisseurs and particular fans of Tanqueray, I did a tasting experiment in the pub. It was a proper double-blind trial of Gordon’s vs Tanqueray with Schweppes tonic and guess what? All three of us preferred Gordon’s.

Jamie
    Free Member

Tanqueray was 50p cheaper, though 😛

Drac

Are you drunk yet?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve just invested in some Aldi gin to help commiserate my current rank fitness.

Jamie
    Free Member

Are you drunk yet?

Like I am going to post that, and give Houns a tipoff that I’m vulnerable.

I’ve just invested in some Aldi gin to help commiserate my current rank fitness.

Christ. If your level is currently rank, mine must be well….whatever is several leagues below rank.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

duckman – Member
    Hendricks, fever tree and lime Thread closed.

Good to see that you get somethings right ducks!! +1

Having said that enjoying a very nice Aldi gin and fever tree now after Jilli Golden rec. she’s right, Aldi gin is really rather nice.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Fair enough Jamie, it’s all relative, I’m thinking of bailing an Ironman in 4 weeks 🙁

The gin will help tho.

Jamie
    Free Member

Fair enough Jamie, it’s all relative, I’m thinking of bailing an Ironman in 4 weeks

Drink the bottle of gin, and you’ll be up for it again.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Damn you and your incontrovertible logic

sbob
    Free Member

Currently sipping neat Hendrick’s.

DAMN YOU GIN CUP!!!

Viewing 29 posts - 81 through 109 (of 109 total)

The topic ‘Planning on getting drunk. Gin content.’ is closed to new replies.