• This topic has 194 replies, 95 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by alpin.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 195 total)
  • Planet Earth II – oh yes!
  • ekul
    Free Member

Well. That was the perfect maiden programme for my new 4K tv. Awesome. I love how this appeals to everyone of all ages. Our whatsapp group of 20 somethings has just gone berserk discussing it.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

My 13 year old didn’t touch his phone for a whole hour!

If ever we needed proof of how good BBC Natural History shows are, this is it!

ticsmon

Them snakes !!!!!

Drac

That was the perfect maiden programme for my new 4K tv.

Who wants to tell him? 😀

wilburt
    Free Member

Brilliant!

choppersquad
    Free Member

Amazing.
    Loved the crab that came right up to the camera and waved!

maxtorque

piemonster –
    Those snakes are messed up hungry

EFA!

PS amazing visuals, but i found the “fake” boosted audio track a bit too much in a few places (like in the Komodo fight scene)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Drac

😆

slowoldman

Didn’t he model for a Prodigy album cover?

zokes
    Free Member

He was a fire starter, a twisted fire starter

maxtorque

You just know the snake sequence is going to make it onto Googlebox next week don’t ya 😉

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

OMG I’m going to be having nightmares about those snakes for a long time.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I’m not watching it, it will make me depressed and go and study something daft like Ecology with the ZSL or Kew – as opposed to something that will feed a family.

sharkbait
    Free Member

There’s not much that gets the family in front of the TV together now, but that did tonight!
    Much shouting and cheering for the baby lizards ensued.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Bloody spoiler alert!!

I ain’t watched it yet, you lot could have left out it had snakes in it, couldn’t you?

😉

alpin
    Free Member

Sucking fakes…..! Run run run! Arrrgh! Behind you! Run!

theotherjonv

Did it have snakes in? I must have missed them 😯

Like Raiders of the Lost Ark crossed with the Olympic 100m final.

legend
    Free Member

At least we now know where the term Racing Snake comes from

lunge

First programme I have ever watched all the way through then hit rewind and watched it all again. The finest thing on TV.
    Can’t wait for mountains next week.

enmac
    Free Member

I used to live in Oman, one day I was cutting the dead fronds off a small palm tree in the garden and a Racer snake fell out of the tree right in front of me literally inches away. I don’t know who moved quickest…

zokes
    Free Member

I’m not watching it, it will make me depressed and go and study something daft like Ecology with the ZSL or Kew – as opposed to something that will feed a family.

Bloody ecologists, trying to understand how nature works before we destroy it entirely.

I see your attitude hasn’t changed much since you were arguing black was white with your lecturer…

globalti
    Free Member

I felt sorry for the poor penguins; what a crap life they lead.

Nobby

Fantastic watch & I don’t do TV.

That sloth, probably the greatest creature on the planet. The expression at the end of his journey said it all 🙂

The Mrs was actually cheering on the little Iguana (now dubbed ‘Forest’)and, yes, those penguins really do have a hard time – looked like a rainy Friday night in Deptford at times.

We’ll watch it again tonight.

beinbhan

What size are those snakes there was no real perspective as to size the way it was filmed

legend
    Free Member

Up to around 1.5m by the look of it

slowoldman

So would you rather be a penguin or a marine iguana?

fasthaggis

So would you rather be a penguin or a marine iguana?

A Penguana ,so I could peck the eyes out of racing snakes and climb up the sea rocks better. 😉

mrhoppy

PS amazing visuals, but i found the “fake” boosted audio track a bit too much in a few places (like in the Komodo fight scene)

Very much this, it gets distracting, the silly thing is some are obviously post filming FX additions and they’re so loud it’s silly. And it doesn’t need it, the visuals and commentary stand up on their own anyway, the background music is ok but LOUD, just calm the **** down with the other bits.

cheddarchallenged
    Free Member

Amazing telly and the “how we made this” bit showed incredible patience and planning by the crew – but it’s gutting to see the BBC are cutting jobs at the Natural History unit in Bristol whilst carrying on with the endless waste of money almost everywhere else.

Northwind

i loved the penguin commute. Starts out showing them all getting smashed to bits trying to get down the impossible cliffs of doom, then ends “and now having swum 50 miles to catch a fish, he must now swim back up the impossible cliffs of doom”. All so he can vomit in his baby’s face.

alpin
    Free Member

Poor pengwens* with broken bones struggling to get to their chicks…. 🙁

Since watching this they are known as pengwens….
    [video]https://youtu.be/-GnLDJAgrws[/video]

molgrips
    Free Member

Best bit about the penguin island was the Britishly understated observations of the film crew at the end, about what must’ve been pretty grim and also very surreal.

whitestone
    Free Member

Brilliant programme.

Re: HD & 4K formats. HD was invented by NHK (Japanese equivalent of the BBC) over 40 years ago but getting it to a broadcast system took nearly 30 years. There’s a lot of kit to upgrade from cameras, cables, editing systems all the way to the TV in your living room.

NHK also invented 4K and 8K. To adopt either of these would require the whole set of equipment to be upgraded again. Japan is considering just going straight to 8K to avoid this double upgrade. There’s no point in going past 8K as the definition is beyond what the human eye is capable of resolving.

It was only really with the widespread adoption of flat screen TV technology in the home that HD became a viable broadcast format. Going to 4K and 8K is more a matter of tweeking this technology than getting people to adopt a new one. It is very much chicken and egg: why broadcast 4K if only a few people can properly view it? But why buy a 4K TV if there’s nothing broadcast? Once the manufacturers have got the yield up to sufficient levels they’ll drop those models which are HD only and 4K will become the new norm.

Sorry – tech head on!

legend
    Free Member

whitestone – Member
    There’s no point in going past 8K as the definition is beyond what the human eye is capable of resolving.

Oh I bet there are many Marketing Engineers that will disagree with that.

Legend – waiting for 9k

slimjim78
    Free Member

There’s no point in going past 8K as the definition is beyond what the human eye is capable of resolving

No doubt, there’s a really expensive Scart lead that could sort that.

Moving forward, WTF are we going to do when Mr Attenbrough departs this mortal coil?
    4K Chris Packham might just push me over the edge of that Penguin cliff.

dannyh
    Free Member

Cheers to the Beeb for a couple of hours of proper telly – Planet Earth II followed by the Dan Snow goldrush thing – just need to get rid of Strictly now………..

whitestone
    Free Member

SCART’s dead, little or no new TV kit has it fitted. Was only really ever Europe anyway, USA was phono connectors. HDMI only these days.

A Marketing Engineer? Surely an oxymoron?

Northwind

whitestone – Member

There’s no point in going past 8K as the definition is beyond what the human eye is capable of resolving.

I for one will be first in the queue for 8Kb. And then for 8kb+

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Is it just me that doesn’t get this type of programme? I watched the first couple of minutes, with him flying over the Mont Blanc Massif and thought it could be quite interesting.

Then it got dull 🙁

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 195 total)

The topic ‘Planet Earth II – oh yes!’ is closed to new replies.